PDA

View Full Version : Ectoplasm

matd
08-10-2005, 04:04 AM
I want to make a plasma-like trail that snakes around - my problem is that it seems that hypervoxels can only give me puffy smoke rather than streaky cigarette-style smoke streams. I thought that Jetstream FX might be an answer, but I can only see an intel version, and I'm on Mac. Can anyone recommend any plugins for Lightwave at all?

As a reference to use, if you saw the new series of Doctor Who, there were creatures in the third episode called "Gelth" that is almost exactly what I'm after. I know for a fact that they were done in Maya.

Should I be using a polygon-based solution, rather than particles?

MonroePoteet
08-12-2005, 05:52 PM
I haven't seen the referenced material, so I'm not really sure what you're after. Here's a pointer to a thread on making cigarette smoke:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=38017

which uses a polygonal object, not HV. The basic idea is to set up the transparency layer with high contrast and large-relative-scale procedurals, and then modulate the object using Normal Displacement.

Making it snake around can be accomplished a couple of ways. The "Morph to Skelegons" approach works really well and is easy to implement, but gives sharp corners at the bone joints:

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/Tutorials/Vidz/property_web.mov

I've had luck applying ClothFX to the object and setting up a maze of collision objects to have it "slosh around" with an appropriate gravity setting and a lot of playing with the collision and interaction parameters.

mTp

MonroePoteet
08-12-2005, 07:29 PM
Here's a scene file, etc. that might be helpful. Sorry if I've misunderstood what you're after.

mTp

matd
08-17-2005, 03:02 AM
Thanks for that, I'll try it out and tell you how I get on!