PDA

View Full Version : Metaball effect

automan25
08-09-2005, 04:28 PM
Is it possible to take chunks of existing non-metaball geometry and melt them together as though they had originally been metaball structures?

Silkrooster
08-09-2005, 08:54 PM
Heres a theory, create your metaball object and place it in the back ground and use that as a morph target.
Reason why I say theory is that I have not had the chance to try background morphs yet and mettaballs use lower number of points than normal objects.
Metaballs can be frozen though, given greater number of points, plus it is now editable like any other object
Silk

MonroePoteet
08-10-2005, 12:44 PM
The following sequence of operations may work OK for you. It's not as smooth as a metaball "gravity well", but playing with the sequence is easy and might produce some good results:

1) Select polygons on each of the two objects to be melted
2) Use Construct=>Bridge to bridge the gap
3) Select the polygons produced by Bridge
4) Do a couple of Subdivides with metaform as the style, or use the old Metaform-Plus (one of my favorites) to get some complexity in the bridge
5) Select the Modify=>Pole tool (or Pole Evenly). Right-drag (with or without CTRL) to form the blue effect guide into an approximate sphere around the bridged polygons. Be sure to use the two views NOT along the axis of the bridge to make a sphere rather than a circular effect region.
6) In the view along the axis of the bridge, Left-drag from the center of the effect region to the lower-left at close to a 45-degree angle. This will cause Pole to draw in the center of the bridge.

As I said, kinda works, and it's easy to play with (along with Undo, of course!). Silk's background morph may work better, though.

mTp