PDA

View Full Version : Audio Delay

MBeck
08-09-2005, 02:31 PM
My toaster has some delay issues :)

All the audio is delayed. Even my windows sound. If I open up windows media player the audio is delayed there too.
After a few reboots I can sometimes get it to go away. It seems like the longer the machine is on the longer the delay is.

I am running Dual Xeon 2.8 procs with 1.5 GB Ram. My HDs are 2 SATA drives In a hardware RAID.
I know that it could be my drives.. but I find it strange that it happens even when I am not playing clips from that HD.

Thanks!

MBeck
08-10-2005, 07:09 AM
No one?

Its really strange! I hit play.. and no audio... then it starts .. I hit stop and the video stops.. the audio keeps going till it hits the place that I stopped the video. :confused: :confused: I need help!

Paul Lara
08-10-2005, 08:28 AM
Would this be an MP3 file you're using?

Jim Capillo
08-10-2005, 11:32 AM
Did you try shutting off all the Windoze sounds? Are you using another audio card in the system? How about heat? Is the box getting hot?

MBeck
08-10-2005, 12:58 PM
Would this be an MP3 file you're using?

Well its all audio going through the toaster. Everything from windows media player sound to rtv clips I import in the VT.

Did you try shutting off all the Windoze sounds? Are you using another audio card in the system? How about heat? Is the box getting hot?

I will shut off the windows sounds. I have an onboard sound card, but it is not being used. The box is not hot. I have 2 fans in the case and a fan that vents heat from the VT card.

Thanks for the help so far. :o

MBeck
08-11-2005, 12:06 PM
any thoughts yet? This has kinda got me sunk.

Jim Capillo
08-11-2005, 05:38 PM
any thoughts yet? This has kinda got me sunk.

Shutting off the sounds didn't work? How about disabling the onboard sound card?

Lew
08-12-2005, 06:19 AM
Is your sound running through a processor or mixer on the way to the VT?

MBeck
08-12-2005, 08:35 AM
Shutting off the sounds didn't work? How about disabling the onboard sound card?

I did both.. and it helped.. but its still off.

Is your sound running through a processor or mixer on the way to the VT?

Nope just the BOB.

MBeck
08-12-2005, 08:52 AM
What is the latest build for the VT4?

I have 5432

MBeck
08-12-2005, 09:30 AM
Well I just did a full re install.. no luck. grr.

Jim_C
08-12-2005, 09:46 AM
Take out the BOB and go straight into the card

MBeck
09-26-2005, 10:31 AM
Ok, I have been out of town and have not had a chance to get back to this.. but here I am.

I took the BOB off and I still get the same thing.

I completely uninstalled the Toaster and did a fresh install and applied the 4.5 patch.. still the same exact thing.

This is all sound on the computer. From live inputs from the BOB, to rtv files, to windows system sounds.

:help:

MBeck
09-26-2005, 10:42 AM
While looking around the forum I found this..
"There is an unused HD15 on the expansion connector for the VT4 card that should be connected to the SX8 in place of the "stereo audio cable" currently used. This solves a critical communications problem that was created by the VT4.5 upgrade that uses signal paths that previous versions did not use."

This is kinda confusing.. I only have 3 HD15 ports.. not 4. Is this a problem?

Paul Lara
09-26-2005, 04:44 PM
Sounds like you have the VT[3] hardware Michael.
The VT[4] daughtercard expansion slot has two DB-15s.

MBeck
09-27-2005, 12:23 AM
:( So what does this mean for me? I thought that the VT[3] HW was compatible. Can I just get a new daughtercard expansion slot?

And does this have anything to do with my audio problem?

MBeck
09-27-2005, 01:59 PM
hello?

Anyone?

smee-again
09-27-2005, 05:02 PM
mm I would like to know the answer to this problem as well, I have just ordered the vt4 software upgrade only and I'm a bit concerned about the audio routing issue too.

nevmoor
09-27-2005, 05:08 PM
I heard that there was a way to mod your cables to be VT4 compatible, but I dont know the name of the forum this was discussed in , nor if this will actually fix your problem. I seem to remember that a VT4 wVT3 hardware could get the No VIdeo Signal error, but it might effect audio too. PAUL???

wvp
09-27-2005, 05:58 PM
I & my company own three VT systems.
My personal system runs on VT3 hardware with an SX-8 with VT4 software

System 1 @ work runs on VT2 hardware (maybe even VT1 or NT) hardware, no breakout & VT4.5 software.

System 2 @ work runs on VT2 hardware, no breakout with VT3 software

We've had no audio issues regarding connections and nothing like you describe.
I know that does not solve your problem, but at least it tells you that you don't need the latest VT card to use the latest software.
If after installing Windows (with the VT card not installed) you can hear windows audio ok (through windows soundcard) then installing VT WINDOWS audio is messed up I would suspect a problem with the VT card.
Like every other computer part, it is possible that it had malfunctioned. CALL Newtek support & ask about getting a loaner card & if they cant help solve the problem.

Pete Draves
09-27-2005, 06:38 PM
I have only seen a delay if you are running an mp3 or mpeg audio.
everything else seems ok.
this is on vt3 and vt4.
Only correct Wave files should be used
Pete

MBeck
09-27-2005, 07:06 PM
I have only seen a delay if you are running an mp3 or mpeg audio.
everything else seems ok.
this is on vt3 and vt4.
Only correct Wave files should be used
Pete

Ok.. I keep getting this answer.. and I am glad someone is at least trying to help.. but I want to make this clear...

The Whole MP3 thing doesn't apply!!!! The delay is there for LIVE sources too!!! No matter what I do I get this stupid delay!

I am going crazy here!!!

wvp
09-27-2005, 07:58 PM
Well I can't resist pointing out that all of us offering help are apparently stupid (per your avatar).
You also have not mentioned if you have discussed with the dealer and what response you got or if you have talked to Newtek directly.

MBeck
09-27-2005, 08:28 PM
Well I can't resist pointing out that all of us offering help are apparently stupid (per your avatar).
You also have not mentioned if you have discussed with the dealer and what response you got or if you have talked to Newtek directly.
Hehe.. sorry.. Its just a joke! :)

I don't have a dealer (ebay :o )
and my schedule makes it really hard to talk to newtek. I have a second job during the day.. so tech support after hours is this forum.

Sorry if I come across short with anyone. I am just frustrated and I really want my toaster to work. :)

MBeck
10-03-2005, 12:59 PM
Sorry to keep begging.. but I do need some help! I will change my avatar if it will help. ;)

Paul Lara
10-03-2005, 01:13 PM
Michael, have you disabled any on-board audio card in the BIOS?

Pete Draves
10-03-2005, 04:08 PM
If you will list your motherboard manufacturer and the model number.
I will be able to know if your system onboard audio can be disabled by the bios or by a jumper on the motherboard
or you can e-mail me thru this post or call me at my website number at
www.cvpro.tv
and I will try to help directly.

Pete

MBeck
10-03-2005, 04:56 PM
Michael, have you disabled any on-board audio card in the BIOS?

I have disabled it in the bios. It doesn't seem to help.

If you will list your motherboard manufacturer and the model number.
I will be able to know if your system onboard audio can be disabled by the bios or by a jumper on the motherboard
or you can e-mail me thru this post or call me at my website number at
www.cvpro.tv
and I will try to help directly.

Pete

I have an ASUS PP-DLW motherboard.
Here are my FULL system specs.. and I do mean FULL ;)
Big List (http://www.michaeltara.com/vt.html)

Thanks guys for helping out! :thumbsup:

Pete Draves
10-03-2005, 05:05 PM
I do not find the asus mmotherboard that you listed on the asus site.
Pete

MBeck
10-03-2005, 06:44 PM
Here is the manual.

http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/Socket604/pp-dlw/e1173_pp-dlw.pdf

Pete Draves
10-03-2005, 07:46 PM
this is the Intel 7505 chipset board.
This is a work horse for the vt boards.
It should pose no problems for audio.

Please let me know where the toaster and other cards are located.
Please use the numbers for the slots as shown in the manual.

Also let us know what graphics card you have and what driver ver number
I SEE YOU ARE USING A RADION CARD BUT...THE NVIDIA CARDS SEEM TO WORK BETTER. THE RADION CARDS I HAVE SEEN TO CAUSE OTHER PROBLEMS WITHIN THE SYSTEM.
NVIDIA SEEMS TO WORK BEST
Sams club has sone inexpensive 5200 nvidia dual head cards that cause no problems and even work as vga out with vt4.5.

the slots the cards are in will help me diagnose further into the problem.

Thankyou
Pete

MBeck
10-04-2005, 12:32 AM
Thanks I will get the Nvidia card ASAP :)

and get you the config for placement of the cards.

Jim_C
10-04-2005, 06:06 AM
Michael,

Maybe you are actually living slightly in the future. All your actions are being performed just ahead of when they actually are. So what you are hearing is just real time.

:p

just trying to lighten the stress....... :)

Jim

ps... If anyone likes time travel/modern day sci fi/mystery movies, get PRIMER. Awesome little independant flick.

MBeck
10-05-2005, 09:15 AM
Michael,

Maybe you are actually living slightly in the future. All your actions are being performed just ahead of when they actually are. So what you are hearing is just real time.

:p

just trying to lighten the stress....... :)

Jim

ps... If anyone likes time travel/modern day sci fi/mystery movies, get PRIMER. Awesome little independant flick.
hmm.. had not thought of that one.. hmm my state is a powerball state.... :)

I will have to check the movie out too.

MBeck
10-19-2005, 07:31 PM
O.K.

I love newtek tech support!

Finally had some time during the day to call and work on this problem!

As it turnes ou, it was the name of my computer!!
When I built my PC I named it "TOASTER". Well apparently whenever you clear the configs for the toaster, it uses the computer name to delete things that the auto config made using the computer name. Well since my PC was named TOASTER.. things were getting deleted that did not need to be. really strange!!!

sooooo thats it if you are having the same problem! :dance:

goodrichm
10-21-2005, 01:08 PM
DOH! I named my PC "Toaster" also.

Could you please tell what you had to do to rename your PC?
If I just rename it to something else, will everything still work right?
Dummy me, I thought that name was only used to identify it on a network connection. Thanks for sharing your fix...Mark

MBeck
10-22-2005, 03:46 PM
DOH! I named my PC "Toaster" also.

Could you please tell what you had to do to rename your PC?
If I just rename it to something else, will everything still work right?
Dummy me, I thought that name was only used to identify it on a network connection. Thanks for sharing your fix...Mark

right click "My Computer" and choose properties. Choose the "Computer Name" tab, then where it says "To rename this computer or join a domain, click change" ... click change. Change your computer name and hit ok. It will make you restart your computer. If you have any problems after that you will need to uninstall your toaster and reinstall it.

goodrichm
10-22-2005, 05:07 PM
Thanks for your help!