PDA

View Full Version : Searching for help!!!

threeforces
08-09-2005, 10:22 AM
Hello out there!!!
Im completely new to lightwave Software and i hope somebody can help me out.

I'm trying to create moving lasereffects for an Intro on my Website. At the end (and the best case) they should be looking like these examples here:

Video (http://www.nature-one.de/1173.0.html) Picture (http://www.nature-one.de/fileadmin/review/2005/NO/12_Samstag-Morgen/_T2M4931.jpg)

Okay - im not angry about people who are thinking that i must be totally crazy!!! :cursin: ;)

But perhaps someone of you have an idea how and if i can realize something like that.
It almost might help me, if someone could tell me how i'm able to create and illuminate volumetric fog (which should have turbulences like real fog in it) with lights.

Thank you so far

Threeforces

mattclary
08-09-2005, 10:36 AM
Well, one could use volumetric lights, but it would be easier and render quicker to use luminescent cylinders with a turbulent alpha.

threeforces
08-09-2005, 11:12 AM
Thank you for the fast answer.

Ill trying to make some experimentations. But due the fact of that i'm new to this software I would be happy about some ascertained Worksteps. This doesn't mean that i want that someone should do the work for me.
But perhaps someone has worked on something like this in the past and can give me an tutorial or a link to something like that.

Hoopti
08-09-2005, 11:21 AM
If I remember right, it was either her, Spinquad (www.spinquad.com) or the Lightwave portion of CGTalk where someone had posted an intro they did for a show in the US where they indicated how they rendered the items in LW and then did the post to add the final effects.

I can tell you, there are a number of products for After Effects that could add those easily in Post. The are all manufactured by Trapcode. I would look at Lux, Glow, Shine and maybe Particular.

In addition, there's a program called Particle Illusion by Wondertouch that could also assist in doing that in post as well.

It all comes down to doing your models, adding your textures and basic lighting, determine what you want to animate and go.

Another approach for the "lazers" I've used is to use long tubes that will extend beyond the scene, and use glow and transparency to determine how they are shown and developed. Again, adding effects in post to make them look a little more lazer like. For example, that scene appears to have a great deal of "blur" added to it.

Hope this helps.

Hoop

byte_fx
08-09-2005, 01:54 PM
Dave Jerrod (I think it was) did a tut circa lw 5x that still works pretty well.

Basically start with an X shape extruded along along the +z axis then apply a bit of a veiny, marbley surface to the lumnios, color and transparency channels. Set diffuse to 0.

Use an extreme length for the z size of the textures - the longer it is relative to the x and y values the smoother it will be. Shorter gives more of a lightning bolt effect.

You can modify the look in many ways - enveloping the color channel over time - apply a non-repeating image of a lens flare and animating it to move along the z axis for a moving hotspot effect, etc.

For physical set up parent the shape to a null for aiming purposes then create a key frame at frame 0 for the x shape and another at frame 1. For frame 1 set the rotation along the z axis at 720 degrees and make it repeating. The use motion blur when rendering and turn off all the shodow properties for the x object. That way you can also move a real lens flare along the z length.

Kind of crude in a way considerng advances but still effective. And you know the path of the laser will be true - sometimes adding these types of things in post results in a bit of unintended humor as the aiming of the barrel and the laser's path aren't aligned.

byte_fx