PDA

View Full Version : Will LW9 Fix this?

prospector
08-09-2005, 01:01 AM
Here is a point cloud that I added particles to but something in LW won't let me shoot all particles at once but I suppose goes by point ID?

prospector
08-09-2005, 01:06 AM
here is screen if someone sees what I need to do to get it right

Anttij77
08-09-2005, 01:18 AM
here is screen if someone sees what I need to do to get it right

You need to set the Birth Rate to the same amount as Particle Limit.

prospector
08-09-2005, 01:24 AM
In case someone says to set the birthrate and limit to same value; here is result I got;
Samie Same

T-Light
08-09-2005, 03:48 AM
Try setting your particle limit to one tenth of your birth rate.

Birth Rate 10000
Particle Limit 1000

Just tried a similar setup and that worked. :)

skanky
08-09-2005, 04:00 AM
Wouldn't you want the birthrate to be the frame rate multiplied by the number of desired particles? That way they should all emit on the same frame. As in - if you have a birth of 100 particles a second at 25 FPS, you get 4 particles per frame. If you set birth rate to 2500, you get 100 emitting on the one frame.

T-Light
08-09-2005, 04:41 AM
This has got me confused now, maybe it's because I've had less than three hours sleep since Sunday or Prospectors right and there#'s something weird going on.

Skanky, you're right in what you say but only when the particles are generated by second, if the particle rate is generated by frame then the birth rate should equal the Particle limit.

I think (and I'm really guessing here) that the particles are being generated at the first frame. Zooming in on particle ID's show particles there in the late 4000's in frame 0 when the particle limit/birth rate is set to the same (5000).

Could this be an open GL glitch?, some of the particles seem to go through waves of dissapearing, including the particle ID's!

Bytehawk
08-09-2005, 05:43 AM
envelope the birth rate....

prospector
08-09-2005, 07:59 AM
But I want ALL particles to be fired on the frame I need them to be.

theo
08-09-2005, 08:12 AM
But I want ALL particles to be fired on the frame I need them to be.

Just like ByteHawk said Prospector.... enveloping is a super way to achieve this level of control- just use a stepped curve and you're in biz.

T-Light
08-09-2005, 08:58 AM
Prospector, is there a specific reason you need to use a point cloud here?

This doesn't look the same as your images above but it's easily tweaked. All 10,000 points fire at frame 25. If you want it I'll post the .lws

Dodgy
08-09-2005, 10:38 AM
Put the particle emission per frame MUCH higher than the total number of particles. I think the particles are emitted over the duration of the frame, you'll get a 10th of the particles from 0 to .1 frames, another 10th over .1 to .2 of a frame and so on. This means that 50% of the particles will be emitted after .5 frames, and maybe pfx is rounding this up to the next frame? Thus if you set the emission rate to over twice the total number of particles, they should all be emitted in the first frame.

If you changed the Generate by to Seconds, you wouldn't expect particles to be just emitted on second ticks, but during the entirety of the second. But because you have multiple frames in that second, you can see them all being emitted in a gradual way.

prospector
08-09-2005, 03:53 PM
is there a specific reason you need to use a point cloud here?

Point cloud is from an object that must go from 0 size to full size then explode into Water droplets,being driven by a wind effector into the shape of a donut.

Dodgy, Ill check it out again but it is happening over the course of 7 frames, but I'll count them to be sure.

It seems like LW is not changing the points of an object all at same time (point count too hi maby?), tho it WILL send a particle cloud with 10000+ points exploding at 1 frame.

Strange.

Theo, I'm looking at the graph editor and it wants to unload particles on frame 1 but you see whats happening :(

SplineGod
08-09-2005, 07:43 PM
Lets say your point cloud has 1000 points.
Set it to emit 1000 particles per frame. :)

What I would do is create an object that has the same point count but keeps the polys. Set the polygon size to 0% and have it emit from the surface of the object instead of the points. That way youll get a better random distribution on the particles.

Dodgy
08-10-2005, 03:42 AM
Do you have enough vertices to emit all those particles from at once?
If you only have 500 points trying to emit 1000 particles, it's going to come out in batches. With 1000 vertices they'll all be emitted at once...

prospector
08-10-2005, 07:15 AM
yep, that's what I overlooked :thumbsup: Dodgy
I did it again (made a new scene) and all was good, so I looked at the old files and sure enough there was 10000 vertices trying to shoot 61000 particles.