PDA

View Full Version : New lightwaver questions...

Gnoc
08-08-2005, 09:50 PM
I am very new to Lightwave and just a hobbyist for now but I was wondering...

1. Do good gaming cards like Nvidia's 6800 or 7800 pci express work well with rendering? Does SLI enhance rendering? I ask because I am more of a gamer and want to upgrade in that direction but would like to have the best of both worlds.

2. What about AMD opteron (dual core) chips.. just like having 2 processors I guess? Not a very smart question but is there a benefit to this?

3. What is a great tutorial program to buy that will cover the basics?

4. Will Lightwave 9.0 be 64bit for windows?

:help:

Gnoc

tjacobs
08-08-2005, 10:40 PM
Question 1: High-end gaming video cards helps with displaying the model/scene in LW, but did not add much for rendering speed. However, from what I read about LW9, that is going to change.

Question 2: Dual cores chips are better than the old single processor chips. But not as good as a true dual cpu setup. Of course a dual CPU dual core system would rock. Also, I would not over look dual Zeons systems -- what I use for my primary render box. Every once in while Tom's Hardware does CPU comparsions that includes LW tests.

Question 3: This one will cause a some flames. In my opinion, for getting started I would recommend the 'Inside Lightwave' books by Dan Alban. Then move into the Characters books by Timothy Albee or the Cartoon Character books by Jonny Gordon. If videos is a better way for you to learn, there are the videos by Dan Alban and Spline God (cannot remember his actually name right now). Both have different approaches to modeling. Both are good. Just pick the one that better fits your style.

I am sure that there are some that I am forgetting, and I am just mentioning the ones that I have.

As for question 4: I do not know.

Earl
08-08-2005, 11:38 PM
I am very new to Lightwave and just a hobbyist for now but I was wondering...
4. Will Lightwave 9.0 be 64bit for windows?
Gnoc
Both LightWave version 8.5 (about to be released) and version 9.0 will have 64-bit downloadable editions. Basically anyone who owns LW version 8 and up can download the 64-bit edition from the website. Since they haven't shipped version 9 yet, I don't actually know how they'll deliver the 64-bit edition. They might just include both 32-bit and 64-bit on one disc.

If you want to use the 64-bit edition, keep at eye out on the frontpage for the 8.5 download link.

mattclary
08-09-2005, 05:04 AM
But not as good as a true dual cpu setup.

This is the only part I don't neccesarily agree with. Theoretically it should be just as good, at least with AMD systems (better architecture). The AMD64 chips were designed from the ground up to eventually go dual core, the Pentium just got another core tacked on.

adamsanders
08-09-2005, 05:29 AM
This is the only part I don't neccesarily agree with. Theoretically it should be just as good, at least with AMD systems (better architecture). The AMD64 chips were designed from the ground up to eventually go dual core, the Pentium just got another core tacked on.
That's what I was about to say. I could get into technical details, but I'll just say that the AMD chips, even just dual single core opterons, are a much more elegant solution.

Gnoc
08-09-2005, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the good info. I am going to check out some of the books you recommend.

About SLI? Does having 2 video cards help?

Thanks,

Gnoc

robewil
08-09-2005, 05:47 PM
1. Do good gaming cards like Nvidia's 6800 or 7800 pci express work well with rendering? Does SLI enhance rendering? I ask because I am more of a gamer and want to upgrade in that direction but would like to have the best of both worlds.The video card has nothing to do with rendering as Lightwave relies on your CPU(s) to render. Better video cards give better OpenGL performance in Modeler and Layout. Once you hit F9, or F10, it doesn't make any difference what video card is installed.

Question 1: High-end gaming video cards helps with displaying the model/scene in LW, but did not add much for rendering speed. However, from what I read about LW9, that is going to change.Even in Lightwave 9, it's not going to matter.

hrgiger
08-09-2005, 06:16 PM
1. As has been stated above, with the current implementation of Lightwave, don't waste your money on a good graphics card. It won't improve performance much. It will Never improve your rendering speed, the card only has to do with the speed of your display. Lightwave 9 will have a improved display speed and will take advantage of a good video card. I would recommend a good Nvidia card for price/performance. The speed increase in the Lightwave 9 renderer will have nothing to do with the type of video card you have.

2. Lightwave has been optimized to take advantage of dual core processors so if you have the means, get one. It will give you more performance then a single core processor.

3. It depends on what you want to do with Lightwave. If you want to do character animation, I see that CGtalk is giving a 10% discount on Jeff Lew's learn character animation DVD. Otherwise, I would recommend any of Dan Ablan's Inside Lightwave series. 6, 7, or 8.

4. Lightwave 9 will be available in 64-bit but then so will 8.5.

Celshader
08-09-2005, 06:23 PM
3. What is a great tutorial program to buy that will cover the basics?

Exhaust the free tutorials out there before buying one:
http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/Main_Menu.htm
http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/videos/
http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/

Then go buy Wordware's excellent LightWave 3D 8: 1001 Tips & Tricks:
http://www.wordware.com/tnt/

Gnoc
08-09-2005, 08:20 PM
The video card has nothing to do with rendering as Lightwave relies on your CPU(s) to render. Better video cards give better OpenGL performance in Modeler and Layout.

Thanks for setting me straight. In a very newb way, I think I knew this. I remember using Truspace 3.. a very long time ago.. and having to wait for my model to refresh whenever I move. I just used the word render out of context!

Does SLI improve this at all? The OpenGL movement?

Thanks,
Gnoc

Scott_Blinn
08-09-2005, 09:22 PM
Does SLI improve this at all? The OpenGL movement?

SLI will not help at all as it only works for 3d "full screen" applications (games). SLI does not work in a window.

A high end "gaming" card will work fine- especially if you are only playing around to learn for now. Also, with the new OpenGL 2.0 support in LW v9, it will take much better advantage of a high end gaming card.

--SB

T-Light
08-09-2005, 09:29 PM
Scott_Blinn

A high end "gaming" card will work fine- especially if you are only playing around to learn for now. Also, with the new OpenGL 2.0 support in LW v9, it will take much better advantage of a high end gaming card.
The OpenGL 2.0 support is also in 8.5, at least that's what's in the press release :)