PDA

View Full Version : Will lightwave 8 have sss ?

Mike
04-29-2003, 10:09 PM
Anyone here know if lightwave 8 will have sss in built into their rendering program ?
Because its realy about time they do,the only good sss i have seen is done by Taron,what only took one person to produce to my knowledge.
G2 is no good ,ska is good but not being updated anymore.

They also realy need to produce a good hair plugin,sasquatch is good but the sasquatch shadow options have alot of bugs in it. I have noticed when its applied to your surface,it dulls and greys your textures and who knows what else its taking out of your textures,instead of just applying a shadow and its even worse with sss applied.

I see now why more and more are using maya and 3dsmax.
If they havnt fixed and added new features in lightwave 8 I will probably move to 3dsmax for rendering.

Hair and sub-surface scattering is an extreme need to be able to produce realistic human character,especialy sss,we shouldn't have to be restricted faking it within gradients what realy isn't for sss.

Sorry to beat up on lightwave,but its about time these features are fixed and put into lightwave.

Hervé
04-30-2003, 12:38 AM
For the shadows, Worley should take exemple on Shadow designer2 from www.evasion3D

jin choung
04-30-2003, 01:08 AM
hey mike,

i think you're barking up the wrong tree.

if worley can't do it with people who have been focused on nothing but such solutions, what makes you think that the more broader focus of newtek can properly devote the resources to get it done?

my only objection to worley's stuff is price. but if they don't cut the mustard, i'd wager that you'll be waiting a while to see it from newtek.

as for max and maya... do either of them have a full featured hair or SSS solution either?

i don't remember seeing either as bullet points.... also, they are both considerably more expensive than lw.

hell, i'm sure houdini can do a crapload of neat stuff too but it'll cost you a house downpayment....

jin

Matt
04-30-2003, 03:45 AM
this is what we all sometimes forget, LW is one of the most cost effective - out of the box solutions.

it's a little unfair to compare Maya's feature set with LightWave's if one package costs loads more, all that extra cash goes towards development.

you pay your money you take your choice!

Mike
04-30-2003, 05:03 AM
Fair enough,but if one person can produce sss plugin what reason is for Newtek not being able to produce something ?