PDA

View Full Version : How do you make a Quicktime VR in LW 8?

nerdyguy227
08-08-2005, 01:21 PM
I am working on a project that requires this

thanks!

JML
08-08-2005, 01:25 PM
1 way is to use GoCubic (free download)
which will make a QTVR from 6 square renders.
(you just need to render 6 views with a FOV of 90 , front,right,left,back,top,bottom)

there is a thread somewhere in this forum on how to do it, try to search..
I don't remember all the links you would need.
there was also a Lscript that would create the camera for you..

JML
08-08-2005, 01:28 PM
here is the thread,

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=26726

hope that helps

nerdyguy227
08-08-2005, 01:40 PM
o cool, thanks! :cool: I will try this out

Mebek
08-08-2005, 01:55 PM
I've used GoCubic many times, it's a very fun thing to do with environment renders. And very easy to use too!

nerdyguy227
08-10-2005, 10:20 AM
This is neat but I kinda wanted to be able to rotate around an object and not look around an environment. Any links to tutorials (I thought I saw one somewhere) or Lscrips would be great.

Is there a way to use gocubic for this? maybe I missed something

thanks!

cresshead
08-10-2005, 02:34 PM
you tried this yet?

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/rendering/quicktime_vr/quicktime_vr.html

load up the scene.....
just replace the obj with your object..
hit render! :thumbsup:

TheDAve
09-15-2005, 06:49 AM
Hi,

I've used that tutorial to produce a QTVR object, but rendering 400 frames can take a long time, and I'd rather use FPrime to do the rendering.

Does anyone know of a (preferably free/cheap) PC tool that can create a QTVR object from a sequence of frames?

Cheers,

DAve

Matt
09-15-2005, 09:21 AM
Free video tutorial here:

http://www.simplylightwave.com/movie_pages/tutorial.mhtml?tut_id=521

TheDAve
09-15-2005, 10:27 AM
Cheers for that Matt,

Unfortunatly the simplylightwave tutorial only provides the same infomation on how to set up a scene to create a QTVR object, and how to use the lightwave QTVR exporter to create the animation that is provided by the Newtek tutorial.

Infact I think the Newtek tutorial is easer to understand than the simply lightwave tutorial.

What I want to do is render a sequence of still frames using FPrime (i.e. NOT the using the lightwave QTVR exporter) and then combine these in to a QTVR object animation.

Anyone any Ideas?

DAve

Edit....
Actually I have just thought of a workaround, I can render all the frames in FPrime, then just render these out again as an image sequence texturing a box sitting infront of a static camera then save this using the lightwave QTVR exporter.

But it would be nice if there was a simple tool I can use to do this.

A Mejias
09-15-2005, 01:49 PM
Hi,

I've not used the QTVR exporter yet, but this should work.

1. Render out your frames any way you want and do any post processing you like.

2. Creat a new blank LW scene.

3. Load you frames as a Background plate.

4. Rerender using the QTVR export.

I use this method all the time for making QT, AVI, etc after I render my frames. In fact you should alway render frames instead of going straight to AVI or QT. Then you can do whatever you want with them. It also avoid problems if the render is interrupted.

Hope that helps.

Kuzey
09-15-2005, 05:33 PM
Jonny Gorden has a QT VR scene in his book, it's 120 frames and only pans 360 horizontally but that's all I need :D

Kuzey

TheDAve
09-16-2005, 02:53 AM
Once again, I'm not having problems creating the scene. Thanks to the Newtek tutorial I quickly had a scene up and running.

I just wanted to be able to make a QTVR object from individual frames since (as A Mejias noted) its much safer (I would never normally render direct to an avi), and because FPrime can generate the frames much quicker.

As an example my initial test object took over 6 hours to render using the Lightwave renderer and QTVR plugin alone. Using FPrime and my textured box workaround took less than an hour, and also had the advantage I could put together a quick test using the low res FPrime initial output after about 20 minutes and adjust the colour balance of the frames if required.

A Mejias - Thanks for your backdrop suggestion - It's much better than my textured box solution (I normally use Virtualdub or Premier to create animations from single frames, so had not seen this method before) - Cheers!

DAve

starbase1
09-16-2005, 05:20 AM
Personally I use panorama stitching software - this tends to work very well weth generated images, as NOTHING moves, the camera is 100% still a,d you have no exposure issues or light changes...

I use omni-stitcher, though I suspect there may be better out there...

Nick