PDA

View Full Version : Morphing an Aeroplane into a train

adrian
08-08-2005, 10:23 AM
Is this possible using LW8.3? Needless to say the two objects have a massively different number of points/polys.

I know there are endomorphs, but how the heck would I get the plane to resemble that of a train - is there a command that will arrange all the points into a rectangle-like shape? Supposing there is, how would I then copy this morph so I could apply it to my train object (ie so I could morph the plane into my object-that's-in-the-general-shape-of-a-train, and then morph the object-that's-in-the-general-shape-of-a-train into my actual train model)?

Hope this makes sense....

Adrian.

Wonderpup
08-08-2005, 10:39 AM
Hi adrian,

It might be worth looking at the BG conform tool ( AKA spherise.p) If you put the train model in the background you might create a morph target for the plane that 'sort of' matches the rough shape, then maybe tweak it from there?

there's also a plugin available that does this sort of thing, called something like 'Ko Pointfit', I think it's free on Flay.

Surrealist.
08-08-2005, 12:36 PM
yes background conform and there is background to morph but as to be the same object/point order.

If it were I, I would plan this well in advance. If you have two objects already then the task is probably going to be formiddable. If you can plan each object so that you can create it out of the same mesh, that would be best. It would take some good planning but in the end the effect would be gorgeous. Then using all of the tools/pluigins would be a help.

Just my thoughts. ;)

adrian
08-09-2005, 12:17 AM
Well unfortunately they are both completely separate objects (one is the plane that came with LW9 and the train is my object). I will try BG conform and see what I can do with that... if not, I'll have to try something else :(

Cheers,

Adrian.

Silkrooster
08-09-2005, 12:32 AM
Once you get this accomplished, I would definately like to see it. This would be extremely cool. :hey:
Silk

prospector
08-09-2005, 12:53 AM
one is the plane that came with LW9 :eek: ???

Surrealist.
08-09-2005, 01:00 AM
Well unfortunately they are both completely separate objects (one is the plane that came with LW9 and the train is my object). I will try BG conform and see what I can do with that... if not, I'll have to try something else :(

Cheers,

Adrian.

In this case BG confrom is not going to even come close. It will give you overlapped pollys and so on. It won't be renderable with such drasitcally different objects.

In my eyes you have two options: 1) Struggle with this for way too long and get no result or 2) start over from scratch and get a great effect.

OK you didn't want to hear that. what I meant was what silk said. Let me see it when you get done. :D

The third option would be give it to someone else to do. :)

MonroePoteet
08-09-2005, 09:44 AM
BG Conform might work to shape the train "towards" the plane, and dissolve it while morphing to show the plane. Maybe even morph the plane towards the train, and do a backwards morph of it at the same time while dissolving. At least something quick to try...

mTp

adrian
08-09-2005, 10:58 AM
If BG Conform doesn't do the trick (as expected), then I will do something else as I don't have a lot of time to spend on this... however I may well come back to trying this when I have free time just to experiment...

I could morph using After Effects but once again, it will be very time consuming...

Adrian.

Mr_Bester
08-09-2005, 11:21 AM
Could you use that clothFX trick(depending on camera angle)? Take your plane mesh create 3 cloth meshes...1 at plane polycount and so on...1 at a midpoint poly count...1 at train poy count and save transformed. Then drape the plane polycount over plane...dissolve in and morph to midrange...dissolve out and morph to train. And do the morph relatively quickly, so you can't see that it's trickery?
I'm not at a lightwave machine, so I can't try, but in theory it MAY work.

Silkrooster
08-09-2005, 08:21 PM
one is the plane that came with LW9 :eek: ???
You know it did not even dawn on me that he said ver 9. Either that was a typo or he has an inside source. :hey:
Silk

Rory_L
08-10-2005, 01:56 AM
How about using the movePointOnBG plugin?

R

prospector
08-10-2005, 07:21 AM
Either that was a typo or he has an inside source

Hmmm 8 and 9 are awfully far apart on keyboard. :hey:

adrian
08-10-2005, 08:06 AM
ROFL!!!!!!!!! :) :D :thumbsup:

I didn't realise myself that I'd typed LW9 - wow, that was one mother of a typo!!! Sorry guys....

(Of course I could've stoked things up a bit by saying how much I'm enjoying LW9 - and that you guys will absolutely love it when it's on general release... but I'm not that cruel!).

Well, sorry to say BGConfirm didn't work in this instance so I'm doing something else due to time contraints - but I really want to learn how to morph using LW so I'll be coming back to it. Will share findings when I have them...

Adrian.

prospector
08-10-2005, 10:14 AM
MonroePoteet is on the right track....track..get it? :hey: and is flying high...ohh I gotta million of 'em :D
is same process I used to get a lizard into a human and reverse.
But the dissolve is only over 3 frames as the two objects end up so close in mid transition.
Did a kinda tut on it but must have been on the old thread cuz I can't find it now.

nerdyguy227
08-10-2005, 10:31 AM
That would be awesome to do in LW but I think using some other program that is ment for morphing videos (I use morphman www.stoik.com but there are a ton out there) you could get a very similer result and keep in time constraints.

prospector
08-10-2005, 10:58 AM
But that's sooo 50's and haven't seen anything to rival a real morph,especially when the textures change and the whole screen just changes

gerardstrada
08-12-2005, 12:29 AM
I've used ElasticReality several times to make morphs (is much quicker and easier than to do it in 3D). The trick is to make a correct design of the image structure, knowing where to set the splines for a realistic warping; instead to morph the whole image at the same time (in a single time), is better to do it by phases in very short times (morphing by parts that don't last more than 15 frames per each phase) :)

Gerardo