PDA

View Full Version : Does more memory help VT[4]?

Bass
08-07-2005, 05:36 PM
Hi,

I know Lightwave and CG take up lots of resident RAM, but would moving from 1GB to 2GB make much (or any) difference for editing in TED?

Thanks

Bass

Jim Capillo
08-07-2005, 08:05 PM
Hi,

I know Lightwave and CG take up lots of resident RAM, but would moving from 1GB to 2GB make much (or any) difference for editing in TED?

Thanks

Bass

Most everyone is running 2GB RAM. My own experience is with an upgrade from a single P4 (1GB) to dual Xeons (2GB). The difference was unbelievable..... but I'd guess most of that praise goes to the cpu's - not the RAM. Certainly wouldn't hurt to bump it up to 2GB.

Here is an interesting thread (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=7854&highlight=memory) concerning RAM. It's a bit dated, but there is a lot of info there.

ScorpioProd
08-07-2005, 09:21 PM
Do you really think that many of us are running more than 1GB of RAM?

I'm not, I'm only at 1GB of RAM.

Rich Deustachio
08-07-2005, 11:40 PM
Dual 2.4s with 1 Gig RAM here.

JReble
08-08-2005, 06:40 AM
I've never run more than 1Gig of ram and all four of our systems are dual xeons. Never noticed an appreciable speed boost from memory alone in any system I've worked with my whole life. In my experience, more memory makes a system more capable and compatible and maybe less glitchy, but I've never seen it speed up an already well running system. From where I sit, you either have enough memory for the software you're running or you don't. If a machine ever starts buffering to the hard disk, that's a clear indication you don't have enough memory. I put that in the glitch category rather than the slow down category. But that's just me. :p

Jim Capillo
08-08-2005, 06:50 AM
Hmmmm..... well, I stand corrected. I thought it was a common dealer installed preference to build the boxes out with 2GB. I know when I upgraded my box, Blaine suggested the upgrade of RAM also. I do know it runs very smoothly with the 2GB and I can keep Ultra2 running in the background with the VT operating.

Ed Wallick
08-08-2005, 07:47 AM
I have 1 Gig also but it seems when I have a lot of clips on the timeline everything gets slower and slower. I've wondered if the RAM was the problem but it seems from most of your answers that 1 Gig is okay. BTW, I usually have RTVs instead of AVIs. Would that matter? Dual Xeon 2.4s
Ed

kleima
08-08-2005, 01:04 PM
You could upgrade to 2GB, but don't go over 2, because Windows does not handle it properly yet.

I have 2GB, and although I don't think the VT ever maxes that out, I often max it out with Photoshop, Corel Draw, and Aura.

Jim_C
08-08-2005, 01:42 PM
If you do montages with a very large number of stills, especially if those stills are oversized, more RAM helps.