PDA

View Full Version : Small little tools you would like to have in LW9

JML
08-07-2005, 02:49 PM
What tools would you want to add in LW9?

(put realistic tools they could add, (no powerful plugin like sasquatch for example))

JML
08-07-2005, 02:51 PM
UV Repeat S
from http://www1.odn.ne.jp/~aaa41320/plugins/lw8.3/uv_repeat_s.html

HD_instance
http://www.happy-digital.com/instance.asp

Kuzey
08-07-2005, 05:41 PM
What I would like to see is that anything you can save from Lightwave have it's own unique extensions instead a general .cfg.

Kuzey

ned
08-07-2005, 07:51 PM
If 9 is coming out at the end of the year, you can bet the feature list is locked down tight.

JML
08-07-2005, 08:42 PM
If 9 is coming out at the end of the year, you can bet the feature list is locked down tight.

probably true..
UV repeat S should not be too hard to add though.. I think.. if they wanted too..

can't wait until LW9 come out :)

evenflcw
08-07-2005, 10:33 PM
Grid and snap/constraint settings that work on a global level (for all tools that use them, even 3rd party) easily accessible as menu commands or hotkeys to be placed or assigned to whereever and whatever the user wishes.

To continue on Kuzeys request. I have no problem with lightwave config files using the common extension *.cfg. If anything, I just find it handy that they use an already defined extension(mine are setup and handled as textfiles). However I do not agree with the default locations of these files. Why must LW files litter the outer part of the Windows settings folder? Why aren't they under their own folder within the Application Data folder just like every other programs files? This makes no sense and just looks sloppy. Imho they should either be under a specific folder within the Application Data or somewhere within the LW programs folder.

PS. Yes, I know I can change the default location of the configuration files. And no, it is not reliable, nor works in all cases. Thus, it would be best if the files where placed in a more appropriate place to start with.

Nemoid
08-08-2005, 12:05 AM
maybe too powerful as a request but... Viktor's cad tools 1.5? :thumbsup:

DragonFist
08-08-2005, 01:36 AM
I second the cad tools.

Great stuff, just the demo is awesome and not just for cad stuff.

LW3D
08-08-2005, 02:58 AM
Cadtools, vertibevel, HD Instance, some pictrix tools...

and pointoven...

starbase1
08-08-2005, 04:04 AM
Not exactly a tool but...

LOTS more presets. There's obviously all these guys at Newtek who know the problem inside out, make the sample scenes and objects. For someone to gather up all the good surfaces, lights etc and add them to the preset shelves would be a huge help, (particularly for those tempted by the new low price!).

And I think that could easily be done for LW 8.5, let alone 9!

(Actually that might make more sense as an internal development standard - You add something new, you provide half a dozen presets that show it off...)

Nick

Krom
08-08-2005, 05:22 AM
Rail extrude with ability to disable orientation per axis would be great !

Kuzey
08-08-2005, 06:34 PM
To continue on Kuzeys request. I have no problem with lightwave config files using the common extension *.cfg. If anything, I just find it handy that they use an already defined extension(mine are setup and handled as textfiles).

The problem with that is you can load a keyboard layout *.cfg file as a backdrop etc. They should all be textfiles but with different extensions so we know what they are just by looking at them.

:)

Kuzey

evenflcw
08-08-2005, 07:19 PM
Ah! Now I see some use of using different extensions.

I have in fact at times by accident overwritten my modeler menu configs when saving my layout menu config, or my hotkey config over my menu config. With different file extensions this would be alot less likely to happen as the file dialog would only display the concerned files. However this would require a **** of a lot of different extensions to help my case :). But as long as they all begin with *.lw (to be easilly identified as LW files) I'm ok with that. Why don't developers use more than 3 characters in the extensions now that they finally can?

Maybe I should start another feature request thread dealing with conventions and consistency.

Kuzey
08-08-2005, 09:09 PM
I think it should be fine here.

I made the request a few times before :)

It's one of those very little things that could be sooo useful. Are extensions with more than 3 characters cross platform??

Kuzey

hrgiger
08-09-2005, 11:24 PM
Well, even if it doesn't come out in 9, there are always point releases to hope for.

Modeler:

I would like to see interactive spline patching. Patch a spline cage, move the splines, and have the polys follow along with the cage.

I would also like the ability to extrude along a surface. Would be great for adding trim details to models.

Layout:

How a out a stride ruler for walks, runs, etc...

Weepul
08-10-2005, 06:10 PM
A near limit distance for spotlights, so we can make simple lensed/reflector'd lights such as flashlights, searchlights, spotlights, car headlights, that don't emit from a point, but rather emit (with this control, approximately) from the surface of the reflector or lens, with the convergence point well behind.

jeremyhardin
08-11-2005, 06:33 AM
well, to be honest, these...

Load_Save_Camera
http://jeremy.lwidof.net/lscript/load_save_camera.jpg

Copy_Paste_Motion

and
Layout_Focus_Tools
http://jeremy.lwidof.net/lscript/layout_focus_tools.jpg

all found at http://jeremy.lwidof.net/lscript/

These are seriously very easy to implement (especially since these hacks could be thrown together in Lscript in the first place). And their usefulness is, in my opinion, obvious.

that's my $.02 anyway.

DragonFist
08-16-2005, 01:10 PM
PS. Yes, I know I can change the default location of the configuration files. And no, it is not reliable, nor works in all cases. Thus, it would be best if the files where placed in a more appropriate place to start with.

How exactly do you do that? I have a standalone LW seat and a VT4 LW seat and everytime that I update VT4 it overwrites my .cfg files for the standalone. Would like to move the **** buggers.

Dodgy
08-16-2005, 03:03 PM
add -cL:\Settings -pL:\Settings to the command line.

where L:\settings is the path to your settings directory.

Celshader
08-16-2005, 03:07 PM
How exactly do you do that? I have a standalone LW seat and a VT4 LW seat and everytime that I update VT4 it overwrites my .cfg files for the standalone. Would like to move the **** buggers.

Here's how to do it on the PC:

Create a shortcut for LightWave; open up the properties of the shortcut and add this text string to the line called "Target"

-c<path>

Where "<path>" is the location of the folder containing your config file. So, if you have LightWave in C:\NewTek\LightWave\lightwav.exe and you want your config files to go into the same folder as lightwav.exe, this is what the target line should be:

C:\NewTek\LightWave\lightwav.exe -cC:\NewTek\LightWave

...with no slash after the folder name.

Launch LightWave Layout from this shortcut, and Layout will immediately look to the folder specified in -c for its config files. You can create a similar shortcut for Modeler.exe.

If the path to your configs folder has one or more spaces in it, you must use quotes to bracket the path to the configs folder. Otherwise it won't work. So, if LightWave's in this folder:

C:\NewTek\LightWave [8]\lightwav.exe

...and you want the configs to go into this folder:

C:\NewTek\LightWave [8]\CONFIGS\

You must use a shortcut with this text string in the "Target" line:

"C:\NewTek\LightWave [8]\lightwav.exe" -c"C:\NewTek\LightWave [8]\CONFIGS"

EDIT -- aw, man! Dodgy beat me to it. :o

Dodgy
08-16-2005, 04:35 PM
LOL, but not nearly as fully as you did :)

DragonFist
08-16-2005, 04:48 PM
Okay, seems to be working except that I now get an "Err. Can't load Scene" when I load with these setting and my config files there.

Any ideas?

Edit: Nevermind, not sure what I did that fixed it but I did. Thanks for the help.

paulhart
08-16-2005, 11:09 PM
I would really like to see some emphasis given to NPR (non-photoreal) renders, and variations of CelShading, line quality control.... There is an amazing program for the Max crew called Illustrate! and I have even sent him a letter (Gould) asking him to consider a "port" of the program.... no answer..... I have also monitored other forums and threads here and on CGTalk, and .... regarding the importance of this feature. I want to easily render line quality variations, whether it is for architectural purposes (line gets thinner with distance) or in animations with more of a drawn look, customized to how I want. Not as a post effect, which I can hack through, but as part of the render. C4D has a Toon render function, and with the cool render/camera functions posted for version 9.0, please consider this request....??? Thank you.
Paul

toma
08-28-2005, 06:11 AM
I put my vote to this :http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=39896

(Realtime Collision Detection Similation)

and that : http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=39322

(Split Radiosity Rays From Reflection)

toma

flashover
09-04-2005, 10:20 AM
To manage a million polygons in subpatch with cards video normal, to exploit the potentialities of the GPU. YOU LOOK AT THE VIDEO OF THE ATI REAL TIME HDRI RENDERING. MOD\LAY
Good visualization of the polygons subpatch mode. MOD\LAY
Fluid dynamic for liquid, smoke and fire. LAY
All the tools have to be interactive. MOD\LAY
Good management of the symmetry, multiple selection and selection of the axle. MOD.
Painter 3d integrated.
SSS integrated in the new motor.
Plug in inside for the creation of the hair and fur no SAS LITE.
:lwicon: STOP

Lightwolf
09-04-2005, 10:32 AM
Layout:

How a out a stride ruler for walks, runs, etc...
Hah, that one sounds easy and like fun. How should it look, what settings should it have?

Cheers,
Mike

hrgiger
09-04-2005, 11:17 AM
Hah, that one sounds easy and like fun. How should it look, what settings should it have?

Cheers,
Mike

Hey Mike, I hadn't given it much thought but here are a few ideas.

1. It would have to be adjustable so that it would be useful for different sized characters. Obviously, a giant is going to have a much larger stride than a dwarf.

2. You should be able to add to it's length so that you don't have to worry about running out of ruler before your animation is done. Ideally, a control on the end of the ruler to draw out more length as needed(or more simply, perhaps the ruler itself is draggable and you can drag the ruler back to the beginning again).

3. It should be visible in all views including the perspective mode.

Animation master had a stride ruler but I dont' remember the interface much or how it worked exactly. On their website, it mentions stride length in this manner: "Stride length to prevent a character's feet or tires from slipping as they move."

In that respect, I should think the ruler might want to have markers set at the front and/or back of the characters feet so you know they're not slipping or sliding during the animation.

Lightwolf
09-09-2005, 06:55 AM
Animation master had a stride ruler but I dont' remember the interface much or how it worked exactly. On their website, it mentions stride length in this manner: "Stride length to prevent a character's feet or tires from slipping as they move."
If I'm not mistaken, AM allows for a kind of cheap fooot step driven animation, i.e. you define a cycle that covers a distance of X for a character, move the character along a path and AM takes care of looping the animation for every x distance covered. Something akin to using Cycler on a complete character.

Yup, footmarks would be neat, as well as an option to animate them in x frames for walk cycles.

As soon as we talk about moving a character along a curved path though we'd be heading for trouble... a straight line stride ruler should be easy enough to do though.

Cheers,
Mike

TripD
03-01-2006, 09:06 PM
Rail extrude with ability to disable orientation per axis would be great !

Yes! As is, a single spiral is more work than it should be.

UnCommonGrafx
03-01-2006, 09:41 PM
Umm,
Joe had a working version, for layout, that they refused to work on with him at that time. All of what THOSE guys have, we had.

This, or a variant thereof, should be shown off the week before the release of [9] in one of these videos with all the enthusiasm in Williams voice giving us the 'real' as to what we will be able to do in [9] and above with this new[old] system.
To that effect, this hair tool that joe had a long time, volumetric and all, as a part of lw's future. Or worley's tool. But implemented in the new Shave vein. It is THE STANDARD now, afterall. That should be the test tool for the volumetric improvements proofing. ( You know what I mean.)

I want the ACT camera as fast as the others.

I have ALWAYS wanted slider widgets next to the numeric sliders in layout!! That would be so useful! Or, as Maestro does it: hover, slide and change. That's quite useful when a small increment is what you want. Just a nudge, ya know...

Error traps for the outrageous settings I've tried in the APS system that won't allow lw to crash. The APS system allows me to be awfully adventerous and windows memory management doesn't help. ;)

Give me B3 sooner than later: layout is unuseable for me.

Fix CC sds so that I can use them; they are quite powerful. I am greatful that we have them both.

Let whomever has the code put nurbs in: Lw is FAST wwith spline editing. CC sds feels VERY close to this paradigm, obviously, as fewer polys still get you that smoothness you desire. And this without edgeweighting. Goodness ahead.

I want them to get this platform solid as it feels like lots has happened under the hood, leaving the old intact with hooks for a powerful future. I won't use layers anymore. lol Or so it feels.

Oh, a biggie: gigapoly capability, even in 32bit mode.
Folks, APS gives me censorable feelings. ;)

Ok, here's one for you: Relativity and Nodal becoming married. You know, everything available to both, nodal and relativity feeding off of each other. Or, even clearer, a nodal system for Relativity. That, too, would give me feelings that locker rooms are notorious for talking about in a bragadocious way. (wanting YOU to say those BAD words, hehe)

Except for the hair stuff...
And...

What tools would you want to add in LW9?

(put realistic tools they could add, (no powerful plugin like sasquatch for example))

colkai
03-02-2006, 03:03 AM
Interactivity on as many tools as possible.
A biggie for me would be an interactive centre on the array / radial array / clone functions, you don't always want to do the array around the origin. Being able to see / control where the action takes place a la lathe would be very, very useful.

prospector
03-02-2006, 03:48 AM
Radius Morphs !!!!

Being able to work with Skelegon panel open...

Pavlov
03-02-2006, 07:44 AM
- keyframable front projection: by now it's camera based OR you can choose a frame where camera "takes a shot" to freeze projection.
I'd like to have more frames. I.e. 1-4-7 would mean FP to be freezed at frame 1 and stay until frame 4; here FP would be "shot" again and stay until 7.

- Single sided Area/linear lights with border falloff. Just like non-pinhole Spotlights.

Paolo

SaturnX
03-05-2006, 09:53 AM
ive said this before i know.. but the ability to lock projected textures to objects in modeler.

JML
03-06-2006, 07:06 AM
this is an old thread (august 2005)

if you guys want to talk about new tools, it should be about LW10.. :o

Stooch
03-06-2006, 12:56 PM
i get a whole bunch of CFG files dumped into my project folder by all kinds of modeling tools, id like these in my settings folder please!

colkai
03-06-2006, 01:28 PM
set your shortcuts accoridngly and this should happen as a matter of course.
edit:
Scratch that, just tried cut & quickcut and regardless of the fact that I have my shortcuts telling LW to put all CFG files in a specific point using "-p" and "-c" with an explicit path, it's still dumping them in the content area. :(

colkai
03-07-2006, 11:17 AM
Actually, wading through all the plugin details I have, I know something I would REALLY like.
A program where you could not only save a 'tab' from modeller / layout, but one that would write the respective plugin data to a file as well so that not only the tab is imported, but it knows where to get the plugin and apply that detail to the configs too. With the ability to multi-select items / tabs to be stored.

As it stands, though the tab is saved, it relies on the plugins already being added and "visible" to the program. If it exported all relevant data, you could easily put together custom layouts without wondering if the plugins were handled.

Stooch
03-13-2006, 04:33 PM
Fix the funky little nuances that require tools to "clean up".

for example, why are there left over points after boolean? is it hard to just automatically apply merge after that operation is performed? (give the user an option to work the old way in the numeric panel).

Why are my polygons flipped and the back face stays and nothing is merged when i extrude? seems like that 99 percent of the time id rather it just worked like bevel in terms of leftovers.

A checkbox somewhere would also be nice that would say: allow new 2 point polygons. If you dont have it checked off, modeler will not allow you to CREATE anymore 2 point polys. It will keep any existing ones, but if any operation you do leaves a 2 point poly, it would be automatically deleted.

Snap with everything, to everything. Less numeric inputs and more interaction.

anim8erWP
03-16-2006, 08:01 AM
I would like a selection tool that finds adjoining polygons. The way it would work: You select a polygon. Select the tool. Modeler looks at that polygon and adds to that selection every polygon that shares common verticies. I would find that useful in revising existing models.

evenflcw
03-16-2006, 08:15 AM
anim8erWP, aren't you describing the Expand Selection function (or Select Connected if you want it to iterate through as far as it can)?

I'd like to have symmetry that works comfortably nomatter what side of the X axis the cursor is on and for all tools to work as expected with symmetry on.

anim8erWP
03-16-2006, 11:07 AM
Where did that come from? I'm out of practice, just started in ver 8.0, this must have been added since 6.5.

peteb
04-05-2006, 07:27 AM
I think it was there in Lightwave 5.5 but I could be wrong.

LaughingVulcan
04-11-2006, 11:39 AM
I'd like to the capacity to 'lock out' Frame 0 in Layout for an animation.

This would help make sure you don't accidentally move items in thier rest state/rest frame while doing an animation.