PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 9 - Features Questions

Chazz
08-06-2005, 03:10 PM
Now that Siggraph is over and I'm contemplating the 9 upgrade offer, I have a few specific questions about the upcoming 9 release that aren't covered in the features list. I'm excited about this new version and have some specific questions I hope that Newtek will address:

Renderer
Chuck has told us on several occasions about how the renderer has been separated from Layout and optimized. Has any work been done on the texture aliasing problem that causes shimmer in renders currently? Will we be able to use FPrime to render shaders?

Non-linear Animation
Will 9 include Motion Mixer? Have they made improvements to it or has Newtek included its own version of NLA?

Bones and Rigging
What advancements have been made to bones and IK in 9? Are there any advancements that make rigging more user friendly in 9?

Chazz
08-11-2005, 09:01 PM
Bump.

No response from Newtek?

Silkrooster
08-11-2005, 09:29 PM
It may be awhile before you get a response. Chuck is on vacation. Plus some features I am sure they will wait on until ver 9 is about ready to ship.
Silk

Firestar3D
09-13-2005, 05:52 AM
While someone has started a Feature Discussion thread, here's something I think needs to be addressed (It might already be being addressed).

Memory efficiency/management: It's been discussed on other forums that Vue5 Infinite is capable of handling scenes with millions of polygons with relative ease, whereas the current version of LW has problems if you push the poly limits too far. OK the limitations of 32 bit systems prevent any more than a few gigs of RAM being installed, but Vue-5 Infinite reportedly can handle complex scenes with a similar system spec to LW much easier than LW can.

My question therefore is, will this issue be addressed in 8.5 or 9? It would make things much more productive if memory efficiency can be improved (maybe it's the way Vue-5 handles memory in generating its' scenes).

Gui Lo
09-13-2005, 06:14 AM
Firestar3D,
In the Sig vids they say that Vue-5 infinate will integrated into Lightwave. I hope this means that the Vue-5 controls can be used from within Lightwave and that the openGL will be improved accordingly.
Since they are adding new OpenGL features I hope that they will improve the current workings.

Captain Obvious
09-13-2005, 06:36 AM
According to the preliminary features list, Fprime (and other add-on renderers, I assume) will be able to render shaders, thanks to a more open SDK.

Firestar3D
09-14-2005, 06:05 AM
Firestar3D,
In the Sig vids they say that Vue-5 infinate will integrated into Lightwave. I hope this means that the Vue-5 controls can be used from within Lightwave and that the openGL will be improved accordingly.
Since they are adding new OpenGL features I hope that they will improve the current workings.

If that's the case, I'm not sure how that will work for people pre-ordering copies with Vue-5 included, since they're getting their copies ahead of time (I haven't pre-ordered, I'm waiting to see what LW looks like when it's been released - I currently have 8.3). If what they say in the Sig vids is correct, then what will happen to those people who have pre-ordered and received the Vue-5 Infinite package?

I'm also not sure if OpenGL is the only problem that is currently making the difference in scene complexity with LW - I've had to render in segmented passes with a scene in the millions of polys (Edit: Just to clarify, approximately 1.5 million polys) even though my rig has 1.5 gigs of RAM in it atm. We'll see what turns up.

It could be my setup.

DiscoBurgess
09-14-2005, 07:15 AM
To clarify, I believe e-on are making a plugin for LW to handle Vue 5 content directly in LW. I don't think it's the case that Vue 5 and LW will be usable as a single package.