PDA

View Full Version : SIGGRAPH '05 Videos!

Brian Arndt
08-05-2005, 10:19 AM
Well, our first batch of SIGGRAPH '05 videos are ready for your viewing pleasure!

First up, for you to download/stream is the SIGGRAPH '05 Disk that was being handed out at SIGGRAPH. If you didnt get to make it or recieve one dont fret! you can watch it all right here:

stream:
http://www.newtektv.com
download:
http://www.newtek.com/shows/siggraph/2005/2005.php

and next up! NewTek TV has been updated with a lot of new footage from SIGGRAPH '05! You can see whats playing on the left hand column! These videos will soon be available to download too so keep checking back!

stream:
http://www.newtektv.com
download:

kml12
08-05-2005, 10:25 AM
Great to see, I'm watching them right now... :hey:

coremi
08-05-2005, 10:37 AM
hey thanx a lot, but if NT got alredy the OK to show this, can u put it as a large downlod at a very good quality, so we can show it around ?

Brian Arndt
08-05-2005, 10:44 AM
right now we need to keep them smaller due to the amount of downloads and streams that will happen (and for dial-up users). But once the whole SIGGRAPH buzz has died down we might be able to do that (cant give any promises yet though , sorry)

digefxgrp
08-05-2005, 11:26 AM
How about a "Newtek SiGraph 2005" DVD for purchase from Newtek. That'd provide a high quality level.

Brian Arndt
08-05-2005, 12:56 PM
4 New Videos shot at SIGGRAPH are now up! Don't miss the Andy Bishop video as he introduces LightWave 9 to the world!
(also fixed a link mix up, thanks to all who PM'ed me about it!)

noiseboy
08-05-2005, 01:05 PM
Sorry Brian but Windows Media player 9 Mac OS 10.4 comes up with " The Specified stream type is not recognised" Any ideas?

Cheers

Colin

dmg3d
08-05-2005, 01:26 PM
Sorry Brian but Windows Media player 9 Mac OS 10.4 comes up with " The Specified stream type is not recognised" Any ideas?

Cheers

Colin

I get the same thing for the stream... but once downloaded it plays fine.

-Dave

Brian Arndt
08-05-2005, 01:49 PM
did you try just downloading it instead of streaming? could do that for now till i figure out what the issue is.

Meaty
08-05-2005, 02:28 PM
holy crap... has anyone seen the WinHEC Riot video? Good grief... if I acted like that I would have to kick my own *****.

Caught in the whirlwind of nerdy hysteria they began yelling... "more more more... x64!" :twak: Too funny!!

noiseboy
08-05-2005, 03:16 PM
did you try just downloading it instead of streaming? could do that for now till i figure out what the issue is.

heck no, I just clicked on the link and expected it to work ;)

Will try later, I'm sure it will work...

Colin

Signal to Noise
08-05-2005, 03:42 PM
I think it would be great if a NewTek Siggraph DVD were to be included in the [9] upgrade packages as a little bonus token. :thumbsup:

operation
08-05-2005, 04:38 PM
the FTP ask a password ...

ftp://[email protected]/siggraph2005/114-GeoffreyKater.wmv

the password or login (as you want) is missing....

Cheers !
Operation
Mourad K

umstitch
08-06-2005, 03:37 AM
turn off all your internet worm protection (norton) or whatever extra firewall you may be running..should be downloadable then :thumbsup:

Matt
08-06-2005, 04:17 AM
holy crap... has anyone seen the WinHEC Riot video? Good grief... if I acted like that I would have to kick my own *****.

Where can we see it?

Emmanuel
08-06-2005, 09:55 AM
****, that Andy Bishop LW-9-Video made me a believer.Andy, You are a born salesman :) ! Roll on 9 !!!

Karmacop
08-06-2005, 10:13 AM
The only problem was Andy didn't show enough of each awsome feature :)

Emmanuel
08-06-2005, 10:16 AM
Well, he showed enough to make me giggle every other minute, and enough to make me pre-order it :D !!
Yessir, thats my first new LW since 7.5 !!

Meaty
08-06-2005, 10:22 AM
Where can we see it?
It is one of the segments running on www.NewtekTV.com

SplineGod
08-06-2005, 10:30 AM
Andy was doing a bit of giggling himself at the show ;)

stevecullum
08-06-2005, 10:38 AM
Would have been good to see more of the Tufflittleunit plugins. Like waterpool and something on relativity 2. I've expressiono phobia and this sounds like a cure!

kml12
08-06-2005, 10:53 AM
Bring on 9 :thumbsup: Meanwhile direct me to the 8.5 Download link :D

And while I'm at it Come on Fprime 2 :D

lardbros
08-07-2005, 04:34 AM
Hi Brian, cheers for the videos, but i am having problems...

I cannot see any video, just have sound, when I'm streaming... so tried downloading them:

The Andy Bishop video is 47mb or something, which isn't possible for me to download with my dialup connection that cuts off every 2 hours. I have tried every free download resumer available but when it cuts off at the 2 hour mark it says 'Download complete' and leaves me with a half completed file. DOH. I'm too excited to wait any longer, is there a way you could allow file resuming so us with dial-up modems can save the videos??

Great work Newtek, on everything at Siggraph, stunning work!

MrWyatt
08-08-2005, 02:44 PM
any new vids soon?

iFX
08-09-2005, 01:22 AM
...The Andy Bishop video is 47mb or something, which isn't possible for me to download with my dialup connection that cuts off every 2 hours. I have tried every free download resumer available but when it cuts off at the 2 hour mark it says 'Download complete' and leaves me with a half completed file. DOH. I'm too excited to wait any longer, is there a way you could allow file resuming so us with dial-up modems can save the videos??

I find it much more reliable to download via the newtek ftp site... using ftp software like smartFTP - never had a problem with it resuming... that's how I downloaded GB's of video last year when I was still on dial up ;)

Just check the link most of them are ftp:// links...
Is it's got a username:[email protected] just after the ftp:// you can use that to login, otherwise you can normally just login as anonymous - also if there's no password section of the url (ie the ":" part and the password in front of the "@") as in these vids, then just use the username and leave the password blank... worked for me anyway.

So looking at the following link:
ftp://[email protected]/siggraph2005/232-AndyBishop.wmv

You can load your favorite ftp app and connect to:
ftp2.newtek.com

and use the username:
CoolNewTekEvents
(no password required as there's no ":" section)

Then change to the "siggraph2005" directory and you'll see al the 2005 vids are in there - add them to your download queue and away you go ;) quite literally... if you're on dial up go get a cup of coffee ;)

Hope it helps... I'm still waiting for the rest of the downloadable vids... 'cause I hate not being able to fast forward and rewind sections - and then having to wait for the whole loop again on newtektv ;)

lardbros
08-09-2005, 03:27 PM
You're a bloody genius... using ftp never even crossed my mind! :thumbsup: Thanks for all the help, god knows how you figured out that the username and password are in the address too, very clever indeed!

Working like a dream now, and i can sleep in the knowledge that i can watch them after work tomorrow!

:D

Thanks again!

CB_3D
08-10-2005, 06:25 PM
Any chance to get a high quality version of the clip reels?

Brian Arndt
08-11-2005, 08:58 AM
UPDATE! :thumbsup:
11 new videos have been added!

T-Light
08-11-2005, 09:10 AM
Cheers Brian :)

Saw a couple on FTP, is there a chance you could pop up a tag (as in Andy Bishop >LW9) where the guys are talking about LW9 or 8.5?

Just makes it easier for people on a smaller bandwidth to get straight to the new features.

Cheers :cool:

Cageman
08-12-2005, 01:26 AM
Nice videos, but the links to Chris Short and William Vahn are broken.

Cheers NT and nice job done in bringing LW9!!!!!

colkai
08-12-2005, 02:38 AM
Just how jet-lagged was poor ole Ben? I swear, you coulda thrown a pillow on that podium and he woulda been gone ZZZzzzzz. :p ;)

Some good info in his little demos though, not least of which, Newtek have catered for providing the new OGL enhancements to base-entry cards such as the FX5200 (which I happen to have :) ).
Kudos again to the guys for always thinking of the masses, not just those with the cash to slap down for super high-end stuff. You know, I'd wager, I'll still be able to run LW on my ickle ole PIII-550, sure, it won't be quick, but I don't know of many high-hitter 3D packages which allow me to do that! :bowdown: :bowdown:

DeathsHead
08-12-2005, 08:55 PM
Whats up peoples...

Hey has anyone else gotten "No File Found" for any of the Sig'Vids..? I have two inperticular that have been doing it for a couple of days now... that being...

Chris Short
&
William Vahn

I've downloaded all the others that are available but these two so far...

Death'...

iFX
08-13-2005, 12:01 AM
the links should be:

Chris Short (ftp://[email protected]/siggraph2005/batch2/235-ChrisShort.wmv) and William (ftp://[email protected]/siggraph2005/batch2/353-A-William.wmv)

Also, just in case some of you might have missed it, there's another vid... one after Ben Vost p.2 looks like it's a blank square, but it actually links to: Akiko Ashley Eric Durst (ftp://[email protected]/siggraph2005/batch2/247-AkikoAshleyEricDurst.wmv)

cheers,
Ingo.

Steve McRae
08-13-2005, 04:34 AM
are there any new ones for LW9?

FranK10
08-13-2005, 08:27 AM
I want to add which videos contain LW9 stuff. So you can choose better which one you need:

Andy Bishop1: Camera Lens - Nodal textures - APS displacement (Face obj) - OpenGL2 - Vue integration

Andy Bishop2: Camera Lens - Nodal textures - APS displacement (Face obj) - Vertex paint - OpenGL2

Ben Vost 1: APS (teapot obj) - Camera lens - Attach in the UV - obj deforms path - OpenGL2 - Nodal textures - APS displacement (card obj) - Vue integration

Ben Vost 2: APS (teapot obj) - Camera lens - OpenGL2 - Nodal textures - Move Pivot in Layout - Vertex Paint - APS displacement (card obj) - Attach in the UV - obj deforms path - HV squash & stretch

lardbros
08-13-2005, 08:43 AM
Ah well, i was hoping for some Modeller videos or demos! Thanks for making it all clear for us FranK10, especially for me with my dial-up connection. I won't waste any precious time downloading the least important ones first!

Cheers

Steve McRae
08-13-2005, 08:44 AM
thats awesome Frank - thanks for that

jorbedo
08-14-2005, 07:33 PM
Just compare to the Luxology Modo presentation at cgchannel, that is a good product presentation.

Newtek Videos are crap about LW9.

NewTek Marketing team needs to learn a lot from the industry, remember the old days when they didn't talk about upcoming products, remeber what they said about that tacticts, now they went to the extreme, said a lot but don't show anything at all. too much barking. Learn form the big guys NT.

JB

Wickster
08-14-2005, 08:28 PM
Just compare to the Luxology Modo presentation at cgchannel, that is a good product presentation.

Well Luxology dedicated a whole session for their presentations out side of siggraph floors (Orpheum Theater). With limited seating and by invitation only. It was well planned and prepared for. At the same time (i think) Newtek was bonding with its LW customers and friends with a party.

As you can tell the LW9 presentations was done right in the middle of Siggraph floor which I able to attend. There were hardly any organized and well planned presentations on floor because everyother booth were screaming and demoing there products. If Newtek was to plan a special LW9 feature presentation, with a dedicated place and time out side of a noisy showroom floor then I'm sure you'd agree that the presentation would be quite organized.

I was actually focusing on what they were presenting rather than how they present it. After all we're all here to see LW9's features. Which from what I've seen, is going to be a great update.

-------------------
"Just my opinion, no need to get mad me for it" <- wish it was this easy!

DeathsHead
08-14-2005, 11:51 PM
:thumbsup: "Thanks iFX.."

I still don't know whats wrong with the links when I go to the site, but I've tryed them and haven't had any issues with any other that these two... and they're still "no file found".

"Thanks again..."

iFX
08-14-2005, 11:58 PM
Hi DeathsHead,

Yeah the links on the site are wrong... they're missing the "batch2" directory...

ie they should be:
ftp://[email protected]/siggraph2005/batch2/235-ChrisShort.wmv
and
ftp://[email protected]/siggraph2005/batch2/353-A-William.wmv

the one's on the site are incorrectly pointing to: /siggraph2005/
instead of: /siggraph2005/batch2/

That's why I put the corrected links in my post ;)
Or are you saying that your getting that error from those links as well?
What about the links above in this post?

Brian Arndt
08-15-2005, 08:33 AM
Ooops! My bad :bangwall:
they are fixed now and all the links should work. The last square wasnt supposed to link to a video, but the video it was linked to is the one labeled Eric Durst.

Visnarel
08-15-2005, 09:51 PM
Well Luxology dedicated a whole session for their presentations out side of siggraph floors (Orpheum Theater). With limited seating and by invitation only. It was well planned and prepared for. At the same time (i think) Newtek was bonding with its LW customers and friends with a party.

As you can tell the LW9 presentations was done right in the middle of Siggraph floor which I able to attend. There were hardly any organized and well planned presentations on floor because everyother booth were screaming and demoing there products. If Newtek was to plan a special LW9 feature presentation, with a dedicated place and time out side of a noisy showroom floor then I'm sure you'd agree that the presentation would be quite organized.

I was actually focusing on what they were presenting rather than how they present it. After all we're all here to see LW9's features. Which from what I've seen, is going to be a great update.

-------------------
"Just my opinion, no need to get mad me for it" <- wish it was this easy!

Actually the event was for the public, the signup was only for the VIP seating, everything was shown live on the floor in the ATI booth.

SplineGod
08-15-2005, 10:15 PM

Newtek Videos are crap about LW9.

NewTek Marketing team needs to learn a lot from the industry, remember the old days when they didn't talk about upcoming products, remeber what they said about that tacticts, now they went to the extreme, said a lot but don't show anything at all. too much barking. Learn form the big guys NT.

JB

I was at the Newtek booth demoing for a couple of days. I got to see a lot of the LW 9 stuff and talk to many of the developers. All I know is that what theyre doing is real and will be available soon. This is probably the biggest update in LWs history and its great to see it happen after Newtek hires a new development staff. I think the barking is coming from the other side of the fence and nobodies been cleaning up after them dogs. :)

colkai
08-16-2005, 02:39 AM
This is probably the biggest update in LWs history and its great to see it happen after Newtek hires a new development staff.

Totally agree with you here Larry, I've talked to a few people who have never seen such a huge jump in LW's structure. The new development team had a huge battle to do what they did whilst still keeping LW "on the shelf" and what we've seen so far is only the tip of the iceberg. Newtek have made it abundantly clear, (though bizzarely not clear enough for some :p), this is the start of a new breed of LW.

I swore to myself I couldn't justify another upgrade as a hobbyist after LW8, hah! - Already pre-ordered LW[9] - Newtek have moved up a notch with the hiring of the new team IMO and I have high hopes for the LW9.x set.
:lwicon: :thumbsup:

Chris S. (Fez)
08-16-2005, 03:30 AM
Pre-Siggraph I was preparing myself for dissapointment, but the LW9 feature list blew me away, even if the Siggraph demo videos did not (not the fault of the demo artists, as it seems they received the software only hours before the show!). Anyway, I can't wait for Fprime-friendly Nodal texturing.

mav3rick
08-16-2005, 04:42 AM
one day when newtek unlock all to worley and when worley manage to do all his dreams i see FPRIME LITE included with lightwave and it would be previewer only while with purchase of FPRIME full u can get renderer..

Emmanuel
08-16-2005, 05:02 AM
Fair enough, after watching Andy B. demo of 9, I instantly ordered my "all inclusive" upgrade from 7.5 to 8.x.Very convincing presentation, and I like his accent ;))
Note: someone should tell Luxology that not everybody would like to download a 620 MB movie file :/
They should do it like NT and split it into parts.

Meaty
08-16-2005, 08:15 AM
Anyone come across videos of the new modeler tools, specifically edge weights and ngons? I didn't see them in either of the Andy Bishop videos (which were very cool BTW).

Chris S. (Fez)
08-16-2005, 10:22 AM
Along with Edges and Edge Weights, I really wanted to see more of this supposed "integration". Modeling tools in Layout? Let's see 'em!

jr_sunshine
08-16-2005, 10:57 AM
Larry posted this responding to comments about the Luxology presentation...

I was at the Newtek booth demoing for a couple of days. I got to see a lot of the LW 9 stuff and talk to many of the developers. All I know is that what theyre doing is real and will be available soon. This is probably the biggest update in LWs history and its great to see it happen after Newtek hires a new development staff. I think the barking is coming from the other side of the fence and nobodies been cleaning up after them dogs. :)

I would disagree regarding Luxology, Modo, and the roadmap shown at the Lux Sig presentation. I was very impressed by the technology they showed and convinced they have a solid foundation for a huge splash next year and coming years. The thing that convinces me the most is the design of their underlying architecture. After using Modo for myself, the underlying architecture is easily evident and its flexibility is right there in your face. Although it would be easy to pass Brad's presentation off as simply stuff to be cleaned up, I think it convined a lot of people, including me, that Luxology has a very cool foundation on which to build. It doesn't mean throw out your current toolset (unless you are in a position where you have to do so <-- me... lol) just yet, but it should put all the 3D software vendors on notice there is another player out there and they are cooking up something cool.

Chris S. (Fez)
08-16-2005, 11:04 AM
Yep. I thought the Lux stuff looked great. Should keep Newtek on their toes.

Stik
08-16-2005, 12:58 PM
Hey Brian, iam using a mac g5 here and cant download the video streams from sig 2005 ! tried using explorer , firefox and safari...no luck...any ideas?

stik

Meaty
08-16-2005, 01:46 PM
Stik, try to download the files with an ftp client if you can.

Stik
08-16-2005, 01:58 PM
Meaty
need user name and password for ftp??

Brian Arndt
08-16-2005, 02:11 PM
look at the links location of the video.

Stik
08-16-2005, 02:13 PM
brian,
yea thats what I did .... is this just a mac thing or can the windows guys download directly? Lightwave does run on the mac

Meaty
08-16-2005, 02:57 PM
brian,
yea thats what I did .... is this just a mac thing or can the windows guys download directly? Lightwave does run on the mac
Did you right click (or do whatever it is you Mac guys do to "save Target as"??

ftp://[email protected]/siggraph2005/232-AndyBishop.wmv

That is a link to a video from the video download section... sooo

go to ftp://ftp2.newtek.com/siggraph2005/ in your ftp client and the login will be CoolNewTekEvents

hope this helps, make sure to check out the andy bishop vids!

---ZENO---
08-16-2005, 03:32 PM
Excellent!

Stik
08-16-2005, 03:35 PM
meaty
i was just asking because i can'nt get it to download without using an ftp program.... anyone else having the same problem?