PDA

View Full Version : Bone collision with floor - real time

c i k l o n
08-05-2005, 09:34 AM

I must to complimentary NewTek for new features in LW 9.0 :thumbsup:
and I wish you all best !!!

I was just a sow movie about new featers of maya --> http://www.alias.com/eng/products-services/maya/new/demos.shtml --> ( Full Body IK movie )
It is similar with IK Boost tool in LightWave but this maya bones have real time collision with floor ! I was dream about it !
Eny chance to LW have this feature in LW 9.x ?

best regard :D

harlan
08-05-2005, 11:14 AM
Yeah, I"ll definitely give the NT boys credit for IKBoost; the new Full-Body IK in Maya 7 is quite similar - imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. ;)

I only wish NewTek would've called it something more along the lines of "Full-Body IK" rather than IKBoost. The cutesy names are cool and all, but they're not always the most marketable. If I were reading a spec. sheet about LW and saw something that said IKBoost, I'd probably just skip past it thinking it was something completely different. A more descriptive name would certainly cause me to stop and investigate it further.

In regards to the real-time ground collision found in Maya 7's IKBoost (hehehe), can you not accomplish a similar function in LW by defining your ground plane as a collision object? I guess it wouldn't be real time though as you'd have to run a simulation. A real-time function sure would be coool. :)

T-Light
08-05-2005, 11:15 AM
Wouldn't that be nice :cool:

May have missed it but there doesn't seem to be any more advanced character animation features going into 9. Not that I've seen from the preliminary list anyway.

Shame really as Chuck mentioned many months ago that they would be making more tutorials as to how you can get the best out of the current IK Boost. Still nothing on that front either, even though I believe the floor/bone collisions are actually possible with that tool.

Dodgy
08-05-2005, 03:44 PM
Well the bulk of 8 was character animation stuff... the bulk of 9 seems to be modelling and rendering and dynamics stuff, I'm guessing 9.5 will be more character stuff... They're trying to keep everyone happy with every other bit. Presumably this will accelerate now they've got a lot of the core sorted out.

hrgiger
08-05-2005, 04:07 PM
The full body IK is nice but I don't see the appeal to all the bones reacting to the floor. It is easy to show a demo showing a very controlled use of the tool, I doubt it's much good for any kind of complex reaction with the floor. You would still have to be able to animate the timing of body parts coming in contact with the floor realistically. Plus, I'd have to know if you could animate the height of the floor since not all animations are going to be on a completely flat floor. It's a good thought though.

lede
08-05-2005, 04:32 PM
Wouldn't there be an expression you would add to the bones so that if they collide with the floor level it wouldn't go through it? Those expressions could be added to all the bones so when you drop a character from 40 floors up they could collide with the floor plain. Sounds interesting though.

-Lee

hunter
08-05-2005, 04:54 PM
I know there are ways to do it in lightwave but none so simple. It would've saved me a ton of time in the recent crime scene job I did. sigh. I'm sure someone will come up with a plug like this. Hint Hint. :hey:

Dodgy
08-05-2005, 05:43 PM
How about this?

I knocked it up at 1 in the morning, so it might be buggy... :) It's not quite interactive, it won't stop your object dead as you move it around, but move the time slider and you'lll see it doesn't actually go past it's limits.

Check the readme for more info.
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22270

policarpo
08-07-2005, 02:33 PM

I was just a sow movie about new featers of maya --> http://www.alias.com/eng/products-services/maya/new/demos.shtml --> ( Full Body IK movie )
It is similar with IK Boost tool in LightWave but this maya bones have real time collision with floor ! I was dream about it !
Eny chance to LW have this feature in LW 9.x ?

best regard :D

I think Alias just rolled in the Motion Builder IK technology into Maya (since they now own MB).

So in a sense, we already have this in LW if you use MB in your pipeline. :)

SplineGod
08-08-2005, 12:44 AM
Im not sure how much if any Motion Builder was integrated into Maya. From what I heard at Siggraph it wasnt. So it could be a new feature.
I think the reason IKBoost was called IKBoost was because it wasnt ever really designed as a separate IK system but to boost or extend the current one.
You can certainly apply IKBoost to something with bones and have it be affected by gravity, wind and collsion objects. You could even turn off IKBoost and still have the the motions on the bones which can be edited by hand after the dynamics have been calculated. It would certainly be possible for example to have spider man toss a chunk of bricks, hit Doc Ocs tentacle and have the tentacle react and know bricks out of a wall with the current dynamics and IKBoost system. One could go back and hand tweak the animation created this way.
I can only imagine that with INTEGRATION being the big word that IKBoost and the rest will only work better with LW9. Everything I saw at Siggraph was very impressive. :)

hunter
08-09-2005, 08:35 AM
How about this?

I knocked it up at 1 in the morning, so it might be buggy... :) It's not quite interactive, it won't stop your object dead as you move it around, but move the time slider and you'lll see it doesn't actually go past it's limits.

Check the readme for more info.
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22270

THanks Dodgy. :) Works a treat.