PDA

View Full Version : Threads

Bigboy
08-05-2005, 07:33 AM
Being able to add of remove threads in mid render would be great. As an image gets towards the end, being able to dedicate another CPU to it would be great. Also being able to stop a thread when you realise you need to ue the machine for something else which its in the middle of a 4 hour render would be great.

Even if this is a thread pause, so that when the first section/thread finishes, it moves onto the next would do.

Mebek
08-11-2005, 03:42 PM
Along the same lines, I've thought of having a render pass interrupt option. I usually use the image viewer to see a render before it's finished. What I'd like to have is an abort option that will still show me everything that's rendered thus far in the main output window so I can see it a little more closely. This way if I realize a render is going to take forever and a day and a half, I can simply hit the Esc key and still see a "quasi-finished" image pop up showing everything that's been calculated already.

Captain Obvious
08-11-2005, 05:51 PM
If you're using a Mac (OS X, that is, not earlier), you can decrease an application's priority, freeing up resources for other things regardless of Lightwave. I'm sure Windows has something similar.

Lewis
08-20-2005, 09:36 AM
HI !

Capitain Obvious is RIGHT ! You can do it on Windows also (W2k/XP but i'm not sure about NT4.0). Just set processor affinity to what CPU you want (I'm attaching screen grab). It's enough - 32 CPUs/Cores :)).

This you can get if you hit RMB in Task manager (under processes) on lightwave.exe prcess. Since LW is Multythreaded app it shouws that extra menu (wont' show it if app is not multythreaded) with SET affinity and works fine (when you switch off one CPU per application - you get instantlly 50% of CPU load in task manager instead 100%. You can do it whenever you want in rendering or before rendering even started.

cheers

Bigboy
08-20-2005, 11:36 AM
okay... I would just point out that hardly ANYONE knows about this kind of thing, but if its on the render dialog, its idiot proof.

The biggest problem with LW over most other apps is that you can "almost" do things, but you need to jump through hoops to achive it. So heres a radical idea, actually put the stuff in, rather than making folk do "work-arounds", it makes the package FAR more user-friendly, and stops the frustration of having to search for these things.

For example... What would you rather have? A tick box on the render dialog, or having to follow some odd explination to find an almost hidden windows feature. Hate to say it, but its time LW stopped being so "techy", and a bit more user friendly.

Lewis
08-20-2005, 12:08 PM
Hi Bigboy !

I understand your worry and you are right to certian degree. BUT i wouldn't want that coders "waste" time by making it "idiot proof" when it already exsists in native OS (Mac / PC). I always had (and still have) my task manager minimized in tray near the clock so that I always can see how busy my CPU is :). It maybe would be usefull to document this thing somewhere but again that would be Microsoft's (and Apple's) thing to do since its OS based feature :).

I just hope this HELPS you to do what you needed and rest is not so big deal ;).