PDA

View Full Version : Alpha matte....

kleima
08-04-2005, 10:01 PM
How do you use an alpha mattes, like those provided with many Digital Juice clips, in VT[4]? It must be simple, but I can't seem to find it. :rolleyes:

ScorpioProd
08-04-2005, 10:25 PM
If you mean like traveling mattes used for the Digital Juice transition effects, NO it is not that simple.

I remember seeing the Digital Juice tutorial for each different editing system, most were a few steps, but not the VT.

You need to take it into Aura and create a DVE with it for it to work, since VT-Edit does NOT support traveling mattes.

kleima
08-05-2005, 10:46 AM
Well, I wasn't really refering to DVE's but to some of their editor's toolkit animations where you apply parts of animation in varying degrees of transparency over your background video as a frame or a lower third, or overlaying fire or something like that. Would that be the same as what you call a travelling matte?

mgrusin
08-05-2005, 11:21 AM
Never used these clips; if each visible clip comes with a separate matte clip, can you combine them in Aura into an RTV+alpha, then use that in VT-Edit with overlay on?

-MG.

ScorpioProd
08-05-2005, 11:24 AM
OH, the normal animations are fine to use with VT-Edit.

You just have the Juicer output them as RTV+alpha.

bradl
08-05-2005, 03:15 PM
How do you use an alpha mattes, like those provided with many Digital Juice clips, in VT[4]? It must be simple, but I can't seem to find it. :rolleyes:The alpha mattes must be combined with a video counterpart either inside VT or outside VT with Aura/Mirage/etc. Inside VT the only ways are using a DVE technique (single frame DVE or with motion) or using Bob's plugin. Creating the single frame DVE can be very quick in Aura/Mirage, and allows you to use different video clips from the Timeline to fill with, but it is a mostly a pain to do considering how simple this should be.

kleima
08-05-2005, 06:21 PM
Oh, I'll try the Juicer. Didn't think of that! That shouldn't be to difficult.

bradl
08-05-2005, 07:14 PM
You must be talking about animations with alpha channel. Yea Juicer can create an RTV with alpha with those, but the Digital Juice also supplies alpha mattes for use with your own video.