PDA

View Full Version : RPF Export + Motion Blur = Mess

WShawn
08-04-2005, 05:42 PM
Hello:

I'm creating an animation showing the components of the cleaning system of a spa. I want to make different parts of the system glow as they're called out in the VO, so I thought I'd use the Object ID Buffer channel of the Image Filter-RPF Export to assign different IDs to the different components (the components are different layers of the model.) In After Effects I would use the 3D Channel-ID Matte Effect to isolate those elements and add the glow over the animation.

I've been using Lightwave since 5.6, and it seems like I'm always fighting the RLA/RPF exporter. I did some tests in LW 8.3 and it looked like the Image Filter-RPF Exporter-ID Matte was working properly, so I rendered the animation. To my dismay, when I selected the ID Matte in After Effects the matte info was screwed up. After some troubleshooting I determined that the Object ID channel info gets corrupted if you enable motion blur on the camera. The RPF works fine if you don't enable motion blur on the camera, and it works fine with the Vector Blur Image filter.

Here's what it looks like:

RPF Artifacts (http://homepage.mac.com/wshawn/RPFArtifacts/LW8-RPF-Artifacts.jpg)

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I'm on LW 8.3, Mac Dual 2.5Ghz, OS 10.3.5

Thanks.

Shawn Marshall
Marshall Arts Motion Graphics

sllink
08-04-2005, 08:05 PM
Hi
WShawn, Hmmm interesting issue you have there. Im not sure if I would approach it the same way. Again I like easy, easy is good. I would probably use the luminosity channel with the graph editor for the different parts I want glowing at a specific point, using glow and bloom to highlight the effect you are shooting for. I hope this makes sense if not I probably dont know what the heck you are talking about. Good luck in either case.

WShawn
08-04-2005, 08:19 PM
sllink:

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't super clear about the glow aspect of the post because my main issue is the RPF goofiness. I don't want the actual component to glow; I want to put a white glow around the component. With the RPF Object ID buffer channel information I can isolate that component and its alpha channel and add the glow in After Effects based on that. I like to use AE for those type of postproduction effects.

A question about cranking up the luminosity. Can that be done on the whole object at once or would that have to be applied surface by surface for that object?

Shawn

sllink
08-05-2005, 07:51 PM
Well you actually can copy and save 1 of the envelopes you need and just change the frame value you want it to appear and then import the envelope to the next item. Sorry Im not much help but if you cant figure it out the other way this is the way I would go about it.

MonroePoteet
08-06-2005, 10:29 AM
You can change multiple surface parameters simultaneously using the Scene Editor => Properties tab. Bring up the Scene Editor, select the Properties tab in the right window, and then select the Surfaces tab in the left window. Use Shift-select or CTRL-select in the little box to the left of each attribute to select multiple attributes to change. If you don't see the surface attribute you want to change, you may have to click on the tab heading in the right window to get other settings (may show Bone:Basic as default).

Along a different line of thought, one method I've used successfully for highlighting objects is to create a separate scene with all objects dissolved to 100%, and with their Silhouette Edges (Object Properties=>Edges) set to "large" with a color of white. Then, use an envelope on the dissolve down to zero when you want an object silhouetted, or even blink the silhouette if you want, producing a separate image sequence (with alpha) for compositing later.

mTp