PDA

View Full Version : The master chamber

kfj001
08-04-2005, 04:36 PM
I originally posted some the prototypes of the android soldiers pictured in this scene to the in-progress forum for some feedback, but after some tepid but useful feedback, I tweaked the models up a bit.

This is the master chamber of the Silver Fairy (far background); a human being who controls all the internet's traffic in the far flung fantasy future...

Security for such a critical facility is performed by the Fariy's own personal guard of android soldiers, which she controls through the vast internet of the future.

Suffice to say; entry is forceibly prohibited.

Most of the modeling is out of Lightwave, texturing in photoshop, rendered in Lightwave; no radiosity (not enough computer power or lifespan,) and a quick post-processing back in Photoshop.

AnKsT
08-04-2005, 04:57 PM
Hey nice work. I especially like the energy flowing through the conduits on the right and left. How did you do those, hypervoxels? I have some other questions, the first being did you fully rig the two characters in the foreground? And the second, I can't quite put my finger on it, but the floor of the room confuses me. Is it supposed to be transparent? The bright patch near the character in the background's feet seems to go right through the plane where a floor would be, making it seem as though the blue texture on it is just floating there.

kfj001
08-04-2005, 05:15 PM
Hey nice work. I especially like the energy flowing through the conduits on the right and left. How did you do those, hypervoxels? I have some other questions, the first being did you fully rig the two characters in the foreground? And the second, I can't quite put my finger on it, but the floor of the room confuses me. Is it supposed to be transparent? The bright patch near the character in the background's feet seems to go right through the plane where a floor would be, making it seem as though the blue texture on it is just floating there.

Okay. The conduits on the side aren't hypervoxels, but polygonial structures. They are two tubes, one inside the other. The innermost tube simply has a very luminescent blue texture on it.

The outer tube features a crackled glass effect, created by putting one of the noise procedural textures into the bump channel, the transparency channel, AND the refraction channel, and setting the refraction index to around .6 (in this setup, the closer the refraction index is to 1.0, the less noticable the crackle effect is.) as well as having the texture in the specular & gloss channel to make it look more like hardened plastic as the light shines on it.

Then the raytracer does the rest of the work, producing that streaky light effect.

The foreground soldiers are rigged. They aren't fully rigged though, their hands are totally immobile, and the bone structure only covers arms, legs, head and torso. I did this just so I could pose them in the scene.

The big one in the back is, however, fully rigged, including his mechanical legs, though the bones and the "joints" don't quite work perfectly, I didn't care so much for a still. Again, he's just rigged so I could pose him.

As for the strange leg effect, I'm not totally sure, I have to check the original scene/layout... You're right though; a strange visual effect that one there.

starbase1
08-05-2005, 03:54 AM
Nice work - something about your use of colour makes me think of 'Doom' (and thats no bad thing!).

Nick

kfj001
08-05-2005, 06:56 PM
Nice work - something about your use of colour makes me think of 'Doom' (and thats no bad thing!).

Nick

old doom, or new doom?

starbase1
08-06-2005, 12:51 AM
Old doom. :thumbsup: