PDA

View Full Version : Changing content locations

droodawg127
08-04-2005, 12:56 PM
If I move a scene or any of its content and then reload it I have to relocate each object/image etc to load it again. Once I do this and save it and then load it again, I have to go thtough the whole process again.

My question is, how do you make lightwave rewrite the object or scene so that all its contents are in the new locations? Thanks for any help..

Surrealist.
08-04-2005, 01:19 PM
If I move a scene or any of its content and then reload it I have to relocate each object/image etc to load it again. Once I do this and save it and then load it again, I have to go thtough the whole process again.

My question is, how do you make lightwave rewrite the object or scene so that all its contents are in the new locations? Thanks for any help..

Don't know what you are doing exactly but this is ususally handled by changing the content directory. Press o and this brings up general options panel. At the top is a button to change the content directory. Simply brouse to the folder and select it

Just make sure you have this planned. If you are randomly moving things around, this is not a good plan no matter what you do.

The way it works is you set the directory to say F:/My Content.

Directly under "F: /My Content" must be all of the default LW folders:

Objects
Lights
Scenes
and so on.

When you save a scene LW looks for these folders by default.

The line in the scenefile - which you can open in a text editor - looks like this:

LoadObjectLayer 1 Objects/YourSubDir/Your Object.lwo

Every time you load an object or save any object LW - using the content directory - looks to that folder but this is not saved in the scene. Get it?

Only what is in the Object folder and any dubdirectory below it is saved in the scene info.

So this is why you have to have things planed.

You can't move an object from Objects/My directory1 to Objects/My directory2 and expect LW to find it when the scene loads.

But you can move it from MyContentFolder1/Objects/MyDirectory to MyContentFolder2/Objects/MyDirectory if you cange the Content directory in the options panel from MyContentFolder1 to MyContentFolder2

This is set up so that you can move scenes easily from one machine to anther, take them with you etc. It allows people in production enviroments to share scene info or people on the move to go from machine to machine.

droodawg127
08-04-2005, 01:26 PM
Thanks.

I understand about content directories, I just thought that if I directed it to each file when I opened it up and then saved the file again that the next time I opened it up it should take care of all that for me. guess not.

Surrealist.
08-04-2005, 02:43 PM
Thanks.

I understand about content directories, I just thought that if I directed it to each file when I opened it up and then saved the file again that the next time I opened it up it should take care of all that for me. guess not.

You can do that. Sorry, I missunderstood and also forgot myself. ;) Lightwave has always been able to do that. You can save to whatever directory you want. Just save the scene after you do and it should work.

So to be clear.: After you open the scene save all objects then save the scene again and it will work next time you open it.

lw3d23
08-04-2005, 03:21 PM

I also had this problem before. This is quite annoying.
This problem is occured when changing the relative path to abosulte path, even if you save all object, when you load it again, you still have to go through the whole process again, Hence, you will also have problem during network rendering as textures are missing.

Surrealist.
08-04-2005, 09:14 PM
I also had this problem before. This is quite annoying.
This problem is occured when changing the relative path to abosulte path, even if you save all object, when you load it again, you still have to go through the whole process again, Hence, you will also have problem during network rendering as textures are missing.

You have to remember to save your scene again. :)

If you just load the scene and redirect to find the objects LW remembers nothing. If you save the objects then you have entered a new command that LW remebers where you saved it. But you have to save the scene again so this info is in the scene file.

A) Redirect/Load Objects - whatever
b) Save objects individual or all
c) Save scene.

Load scene up again. Fixed. This has been around since the begining of LW time. Just around the time there was light :)

Silkrooster
08-04-2005, 09:30 PM
You know what's funny is I created a small howto over on my forum a few days ago about this issue.
If you look on the file menu, you will find a command called content directory.
This little bugger will consolidate your files so they are local. Which means if you find a file someplace on your hard drive, this tool will copy it to your content directory.
This tool also has an export scene mode. Using this you can create a new content directory, which is nice when you wish to share your file over the net, etc.
Play with this tool some, you will find it is very handy.
Silk

Surrealist.
08-04-2005, 10:49 PM
Yea, yea, good one. Didn't this come in a while ago in say version 4? Something like that?

Hoopti
08-05-2005, 08:11 AM
There's also a plugin called CD Changer I think, you can find it on flay, that lets you create multiple content directories, it remembers where they are, and you can simply click and change it. I've got it buttoned since I have to pull stuff off a number of machines. We don't use a central storage site yet due to crashes until it's time for a render.