PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! ScreamerNet Challenges and Issues

srhyne
08-04-2005, 11:01 AM
I sent the following message to NewTek support. I would like to get other opinions and suggestions about the issues and challenges of using Screamer Net. Anything that is offered is very appreciated.

Thanks.

To NewTek -
I have 6 nodes currently working on an animation that is 2,700 frames, 4 million+ polygons, a lot of cars with motion, and sky tracer as my light source. The render farm is working now, but only because I reduced the resolution by 50% from the HDTV highest resolution, and that I deactivated Node 1 from the host computer. The other computers that are part of the render farm vary in speed and ram. The list is as follows:

Node 1 (Host) – Dell Precision 670, 3.59 GHz, 3 GB Ram, Windows XP (Disabled)
Node 3 – Dell Latitude 610, 2.0 GHz, 2 GB Ram, Windows XP
Node 4 – Dell Latitude 610, 2.0 GHz, 2 GB Ram, Windows XP
Node 5 – Dell Latitude 610, 2.0 GHz, 2 GB Ram, Windows XP
Node 6 – Dell Latitude 610, 2.0 GHz, 2 GB Ram, Windows XP
Node 7 – Dell Precision 670, 3.6 GHz, 1 GB Ram, Windows XP
Node 8 – Dell Precision 340, 2.2 GHz, 1 GB Ram, Windows 2000

You will notice there is no Node 2. I encountered a problem when Node 2 was active, and that it didn’t write the image file back to the host computer. However, when looking at the DOS command window, everything looked like it was working properly. I renamed the appropriate files to another node number and the computer worked fine.
As for the host computer, I disabled the Node 1 because the computer rendered the scene without the sky. The sky was black, but the rest of the scene was rendered properly. I disable the host computer (Node 1) and everything is rendering properly.

So far the scene is working properly, but I’m not maximizing the number of nodes and I have to reduce the resolution quality by 50%. The quality is sufficient for now, but I want to have the capability of higher resolutions in the future. Can you let me know what possible solutions there are to ensure a bullet proof render farm?

Thanks for your help.