PDA

View Full Version : Cat with saslite

Marcus
02-15-2003, 05:20 AM
Hi

Please give your comments to my saslite cat.
This tread started in the old forum.

The nose could be a little smaller you are right
but I modeled with template in modeler.
The color I will change to something else than blue.

I use the max. 8 instances of saslite for my subdivision cat.
The trick is to use different settings for head, neck and body
area. You have to tweak alot and test render.
Lighting is also important. I use one key and 3 fill lights.
I started with the face fur, than neck and body with increasing
lenght of fur for each saslite instance.

The model has about 850 poly (without eyes).
The head has short fur with 250% and no frizz. But the most important
is the comb.bias Z to 100% aft and minimum of droping.
I was not able to have settings that look good from different
camera angles.
Please show your saslite pictures and let us share
setting and tips.

Marcus

Marcus
02-15-2003, 05:23 AM
Here is the layout view of my cat

Marcus

Marcus
02-15-2003, 11:16 AM
Please give some comments

and why have my letter sign a black dot :confused:

Marcus

Jockomo
02-15-2003, 01:57 PM
Nice work so far.

I would suggest taking the hair out of the ears. The inside of the ears do not have hair in them, and are usually a flesh/pinkish color.

You might want to make the edge of the eyelids a little bit smaller, the black part seems a little wide. Unless your going for a blue cat, you may want to change the color.

I could be wrong, but I can't ever recall seeing a cat that shade of blue.

But really, nice work so far, that's not an easy model to make or rig.

feckit
02-15-2003, 02:26 PM
You need thicker hair, there's too much spec showing through from the base surface.

hrgiger
02-15-2003, 06:19 PM
Well, the hair is pretty good I think, especially since you're using saslite which is quite a bit limited compared to the full version of sas.

But I would definately try a different color...

Skonk
02-15-2003, 06:30 PM
Looks great, i kinda like how uv been quite sparing with the sas hair cos its easy to go over the top, for the most part hair on a cat would look quite flat and shiny with tufty bits in places around the ears etc...

James..

Celshader
02-15-2003, 06:59 PM
Cute cat!

If this is not meant to be an anthropomorphized character, the eyes might look rounder and the irises bigger. When a cat's eyes look straight ahead, you don't usually see the whites of the cat's eyes. Cats have huge eyes!

As for blue fur...here's a site with a few pictures of the Russian Blue breed of cat:
http://www.russianblue.org/

...for what it's worth.

*loves cats!*

Bytehawk
02-16-2003, 06:02 AM
heres some piccies of my cat (real)
in case you need reference

Marcus
02-16-2003, 06:02 AM
Thank you for your comments so far.

The eyes have to be bigger right. I just looked at my own cat :D and saw that there is more yellow than white in the eyes.
Color of fur I will change also. My cat has long hair in her ears
and it is not pink. Maybe she is not normal :confused: .

Marcus

Bytehawk
02-16-2003, 06:03 AM
and another

Rory_L
02-17-2003, 12:48 AM
That is one gorgeous, black cat you have there!

The model`s coming on nicely. Just one or two things...

The shape of the mesh is that of a fur-clad cat. Since you`re using Saquatch to clothe it in fur, why not model a `naked` cat and fluff it out with the real thing? You can look at `Sphinx` cat breed refs for an estimate of what a bald cat looks like. Alternatively you could drop your own in the bath, but I would seriously NOT recommend that! :D

Cat temples are really far inside sparse fur. The neck is very spindly and only looks thick because of a ruff of fur there.

The other point is about the eyes. As Celshader said, you really don`t see the whites of cats` eyes. The yellow or green bit is not their version of our whites, but in fact the iris, filling the whole eye.

The shape of the pupils on your model is a pure circle. This is just about right for very low light level scenes, but the typical shape is more like a Zulu shield; a vertical oval, with sharp points top and bottom. If you`re animating you could have morphs for the two extremes, ( and probably could get them linked to a scene light, but I have no idea about expressions :) )

You`ve inspired me. When I get the time, one day I`ll have a go at a cat too!

Good luck with the improvements!

R

Marcus
02-17-2003, 01:16 AM
Hi Rory_L,

you are right. The mistake Ii made was that I have not planed ahead and just started modeling the head of the cat without knowing what to do later (fur, rig and so on). So I can only recommend to all that you have to think about your project twice before starting anything. In my case it is not a problem because I modeled only to have a quadruple for learning rigging.
I hope to update soon and send new pictures.

Marcus

Rory_L
02-17-2003, 01:36 AM
I see! Yep: good advice! We should always think our projects through :)

Looking forward to more pics and the animation!

R

loebek
02-17-2003, 09:49 AM
I love cats.
I have some referrence pix, too:

http://lightwavers.net/gallery/cats

Marcus
02-17-2003, 12:56 PM
Hey

here is a small update of my cat.
Comments are welcome.

Marcus

Marcus
02-17-2003, 12:58 PM
Hmmm here she is :D

Bytehawk
02-17-2003, 01:35 PM
much better !!

you need to work a little more on the eyes - there isn't any white in their eyes.(make it black or model it in...)

loebeck - kewl cats you have there

loebek
02-17-2003, 02:21 PM
cats have only a small number of front hairs. they measure with them if they can fit trough a hole/fence. if she loose them, its really bad.

thei are very thick. look at this picture:
http://lightwavers.net/gallery/cats/DSCN2140

loebek
02-17-2003, 02:23 PM
close reference pic:
http://lightwavers.net/gallery/cats/DSCN2179_001?full=1

Chazz
02-18-2003, 12:32 PM
That last render is a great improvement! It's looking dynamite...

I know how tricky Saslite can be to control.... You might be able to make the whiskers out of polys instead of using Sas, they look a little droopy and thin. Same for the odd whiskers on top of the head. The insides of the ears still look a little funny as well, you might want to tweak them.

Marcus
02-20-2003, 02:57 PM
Hey,

I have tried to animate my cat (rendered without Sas).
Please give your comments. But don't be so harsh I have
never animate before :D . What are your default tension
settings in Grapheditor. It was very time consuming to
have the feets without sliding?. Any tips for general workflow
on walk?

Marcus

oxyg3n
02-21-2003, 01:23 AM
To keep the feet from sliding I find it helpful to parent them to the mesh itself. This way they are outside of the hierarchy of the body and will only move when you pick those bone to move yourself.

oxyg3n
02-21-2003, 01:35 AM
Hello Again,

I was thinking about your question regaurding the feet sliding and do you mean that they slide when you try to get your cat to walk forward on the z-axis??

If so, They are sliding cause she isnt moving forward the same distance that each step will take her.

What I do to figure out the exact distace between steps is attach one null in her back foot and one in her front foot. Then use the rangefinder to determine the distance (between the nulls) that 1 step will take her. (it should be the farthest distace between her two feet)

Once you have this number take it and multiply it by the number of steps that she needs to take. The resulting number will be the total distace that she moves. Finally, you can use the graph editor and type this number in for the z-distace.

That should solve the problem.

Marcus
02-21-2003, 03:39 AM
What I mean with sliding is if you whant to stay one feet on
ground during one step for say 5 frames you have to set the
tension for these frames to 1 or incoming curve to linear. Else
the feet will jiggle a little bit.

Your tip with rangefinder is great. Thank you

Marcus

Mebek
02-21-2003, 09:27 PM
The ears need to be modeled so that there's a hole that goes down into the skull. It gets progressively pinker as it gets deeper and the hair thins out to nothing.

I think you have done a wonderful job so far, especially with the eyes. They look more real now (although still too much white as said before).

And as far as the animation goes, not bad for your first time!

7.62mm
02-22-2003, 12:04 AM
a tip on the animation--- when a cat takes a step, it's opposing legs (front left/ back right and vice versa) don't move at the same time. try to stagger the step for each foot so that they all start and end at seperate times from one another, but keep the motions close enough together so that they all slightly overlap.

Rory_L
02-22-2003, 12:54 AM
...and because of the legs all moving slightly out of sync, cats don`t go up and down in the way we do when we walk. This is very important for them for focusing on prey. Usually the head moves like it`s attached to a steady-cam, hardly moving on the X and Y at all.

Cheers,

Rory

hrgiger
02-22-2003, 02:28 PM
Marcus,

Yes, the feet sliding can be a bit annoying but there's a way to minimize that.

The reason the feet slide around is just because the way that Lightwave moves between keyframes. Everything (unless you change it) arcs from one key frame to another and so usally the arc from one key frame to another will give you different values and so your feet will follow those values along.

Make sure that before you move a foot, you give it a keyframe at one keyframe before you want it to move. So say you're about to put it at mid stride at frame 10 but you want it to be on the ground at frame 6 make sure you keyframe 6 before you keyframe 10. You'll still get a little slide but it's minimized and that's when you can adjust the tension to stop the slide.

Hope that's helpful.

I think your cat looks much better and I don't think you did bad at all on the animation.