PDA

View Full Version : Console/Controller

Gui Lo
08-04-2005, 04:42 AM
Here's my take on the 'clues' issued by Nintendo.
Briefly they are:

Very small(well luggable).
Simple design with less buttons.
2.5" HD.
No HDTV support.
Develope games that cannot be played on the Sony or Microsoft machines.
Cheaper dev than other next gen consoles.
Allow anybody to play anywhere in the house.

As you can see it is like a big PDA with internal DVD-rom and has a giroscope allowing a VR type game experiance.

Gui Lo

Krom
08-04-2005, 05:09 AM
In my lame opinion it looks very good. Only complain - too much noise on CD surface. By the way, how did you got rainbow effect on CD, texture ?

Gui Lo
08-04-2005, 09:27 AM
Thanks Krom.
For the shiny CD I did a Ripple bump and then used it as a displacement texture. A gradient(incident angle) was applied to the Colour channel to give the rainbow colours dependant on the angle of view. I did a seperate model for the plastic and copied that to give an air model and put them all together.

This is the best CD I could get done but I am sure there are better ways. I did a brief search but I saw this idea a long time ago and could remember it.
Yes there is too much noise and would take ages to render smooth. Another thing is that the colours are a bit muted and I could not get pure colours to shine out.

Anyone who knows of a better way please share.

Gui Lo

Krom
08-05-2005, 01:42 AM
I noticed no bump on renders. May be I don`t know where to look :confused: Could you please send me CD.lwo file so I explore it a bit :rolleyes: ?

P.S. May be I`m wrong, but DVD disc surface is usualy less saturated. Your disc has CD-Rs surface (greenish).

Gui Lo
08-05-2005, 02:31 AM
Hi Krom,
The shiny part of the CD is surrounded by the plastic which is smooth. Also the bumps are tiny 1mm on the Y-channel and a physical displaceemnt of 1um.OH, the shiny part is layer 1 and plastic/air is layer 2.

Anyway here's the object.

If you find a better result please share.

Thanks

Gui Lo