PDA

View Full Version : It was just a simple question...

electropulse
08-04-2005, 02:32 AM
saw on cgtalk, someone posted this:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=264468&page=1&pp=20

Doom 3 models... made in Lightwave?

Q:Quick question. I am a big fan of Doom3 and all of id software's games... I was just curious how id creates their in game models. I believe I read it was in Lightwave but I am not sure.

notice the actual question: "... I was just curious [how id creates their in game models.]"

from there the thread went to ****.

and the question wasn't even about what 3d app is better, nor was it about how the models in DooM looked. f'n people!

Alex Rooth
08-04-2005, 02:55 AM
Actually it seems like quite a relevant question if you want to do your own game content for Doom.

archiea
08-04-2005, 03:39 AM
Looks like leigh is getting a God complex... it was inappropriate.. she's actually antagonzies the situation... probably the polar opposite of what an administrator should do.

Chuck has shut me up sometimes.. be he's always been a gentleman and fair.

had leigh not started an argument, then I wager the thread would have been fine. And i think its legitimate to ask what software was used. otherwise why have cinefex, which explains, well, what software was used. it gives you insight as to how it was used, its strength. Problem is that you have these "Nah---nah---nah nah nah--- nah" people that turn software into a religion.

hazmat777
08-04-2005, 03:49 AM
I think they need some more humor over there. Wound a little tight... 8~

archiea
08-04-2005, 03:53 AM
I think they need some more humor over there. Wound a little tight... 8~

i think you can say that about our industry in general.... I know alot of traditional optical people and the new digital crowd. What a difference. its mostly generational... but it just comes down to people sitting in front of a computer too long.. have you seen that film "Crash"?

PS: Also I;ve noticed a bit of this "rock star' mentality in our biz.. its like part MTV, part E channel. It used to be about a quiet, unglamourous part of the movie industry.. now its Sups that make you feel like you should kiss their pinky ring...

Gui Lo
08-04-2005, 03:59 AM
I agree Alex.
They didn't seem to read what the guy was asking. I thought he wanted to use the same tools as his favourite game makers, whatever it was.

A bit like using the same boots David Beckham.

Gui Lo

hazmat777
08-04-2005, 04:04 AM
its Sups that make you feel like you should kiss their pinky ring...

:lol:
Classic...

KillMe
08-04-2005, 04:10 AM
if he was wanting to create content for doom 3 then i'd say it was very relevant on only requires a simple answer :confused:

DoF
08-04-2005, 04:46 AM
Having just been over to CGSociety and read the entire thread, I managed to hold back from posting so as not to inflame the situation further. Of course the software used is relevant, albeit all current professional 3d apps are excellent sophisticated tools which in the right hands are capable of producing wondrous content. But if the application is so irrelevant, as Leigh postulates, what is the point of these forums anyway? And to reprimand a society member for merely asking if anyone knew what software was used for a particular task is churlish to say the least.
And as for:
'That's a really great way to endear yourself to the administrator of this site.'
A totally inappropriate response from an administrator to someone simply asking a polite and relevant question.

Careful what you say over there.. :lightwave :censored:

mattclary
08-04-2005, 04:52 AM
if he was wanting to create content for doom 3 then i'd say it was very relevant on only requires a simple answer :confused:

Agreed. Leigh completely blew things out of proportion and over reacted.

Emmanuel
08-04-2005, 05:34 AM
Yeah, since that messy thing with NT, Leigh became very arrogant and estimates herself way too much, especially as a moderator of that forum :/

mattclary
08-04-2005, 05:47 AM
since that messy thing with NT

What thing is that? I haven't heard about it.

riki
08-04-2005, 05:49 AM
It seems like a fairly resonable and intelligent question to ask. I would think most people who manufacture goods of any sort, would take pride in explaining the process instead of shooting you down in flames.

Imagine going to a distillery forum and asking the question "How do you make Bombay Gin?" You wouldn't expect to be rediculed and told that it has nothing to do with the bleeding equipment. :)

I personally don't have a lot of respect for Leigh. Her follow up "administrator" comment and the sucky chorus explains a lot.

In any case get ready for Doom The Movie (http://www.doommovie.com/)

colkai
08-04-2005, 05:52 AM
saw on cgtalk, someone posted this:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=264468&page=1&pp=20

Doom 3 models... made in Lightwave?

Q:Quick question. I am a big fan of Doom3 and all of id software's games... I was just curious how id creates their in game models. I believe I read it was in Lightwave but I am not sure.

notice the actual question: "... I was just curious [how id creates their in game models.]"

from there the thread went to ****.

Yeah- I noticed it and frankly didn't get it - to me it was no different to saying "does anyone know if this sauce has garlic in it?"

It was a simple question which could have been a simple answer and interesting debate on game models etc..

To be blunt, if you want to pro-LW discussion, or at least a discussion free of 'reasons we don't talk about lw' stick to this board or SpinQuad.

There was no need to talk about "it shouldn't matter" as it wasn't relevant to the question.

To me - I've always been interested in if game models are done in certain packages. Not becaue I'm a fan of that particular package, jsut because I've a high curiosity factor.

I like to peek at hex dumps of code to se ewhat they may be written in too, hey I took my toys apart as a kid, what can I tell ya! :p
(at least I put most of 'em back together again ;) )

colkai
08-04-2005, 05:54 AM
had leigh not started an argument, then I wager the thread would have been fine.

I didn't want to mention that, but it did rather cross my mind, as it was, it became a signal for all h e l l to break loose.

Meaty
08-04-2005, 07:47 AM
electropulse - don't worry about it. It was a perfectly legitmate question. Colkai summed it up very well with: "to me it was no different to saying "does anyone know if this sauce has garlic in it?"... to which her response was essentially, 'what does it matter if you think it tastes good?'

The fact is that Newtek, and indeed all 3D application developers, have extensive resumes of films, shows, games, printwork, etc. for which their software has been used. That is a manner in which they market and it IS important. When clients of ours hear the name Lightwave, it is nice to be able to rattle off a bunch of films, games, shows, etc... for which it has been used (especially in my industry where nobody knows anything and 3d graphics is a mystery to all). To analogize: if my carpenter showed up with a tack hammer to perform a job that obviously requires a nail gun, I would be concerned.

It is nice to know where Lightwave has been used in a very visible industry. Your question was completely appropriate even if it was just out of curiosity, and just because Leigh is a fantastic artist doesn't mean she is especially sensitive to industry nuance.

Auger
08-04-2005, 08:04 AM
What thing is that? I haven't heard about it.

Leigh doesn't use LW anymore. She took it off her machine, in fact. They understandably removed the thread at Spinquad. Interesting read actually. :argue:

colkai
08-04-2005, 08:08 AM
So has anyone whose extracted these LWO objects ever looked at them in terms of learning how the guys go about building a true game object / character?
If so, have you learned anything from doing so?

Weetos
08-04-2005, 08:09 AM
well looks like Leigh no longer needs toilet paper :rolleyes:

Chuck
08-04-2005, 08:26 AM
Folks, we're really not comfortable with hosting discussion of other forums and their policies, and particularly criticising their staff. Any issues would seem to us to be best addressed by communicating directly with the staff of those forums.

We'll close this thread. And we extend our apologies for those times where we may err in administering here - we do our best, but we're human.

We do appreciate your participation here.