PDA

View Full Version : Changing cloned light properties

Mary K.Blohm
08-03-2005, 07:25 PM
I added luxigons by cloning a light.
So I have many lights, all with the same properties and and numbered versions of the same name. Lux(1), Lux(2) etc.

Is there anyway I can change a property on all these lights at the same time?

Thanks for any ideas.

prospector
08-03-2005, 07:56 PM
use the spreadsheet scene manager,
highlite all lites you want to change and 1 setting will do them all.

Mary K.Blohm
08-03-2005, 10:20 PM
Thanks for your reply.

When I start the spreadsheet, Lightwave crashes. I'm using 8.3 in Windows 2000.

In the scene editor, though I select mulitple light instances on the left under the items tab, each property has to be changed individually. :(

Surrealist.
08-03-2005, 10:55 PM
If you can keep it ruinning on that wonderful 2000 the picture shows you what the deal is with multi select for changing peramitiers on multiple lights.

If you didn't already - I think you did - set all the basic properties first, then clone, then tweek. Just to be sure but I think you did that already. :)

Edit: Shift click of course. And you can change properties with the mouse - drag left and right on color and so on.

Silkrooster
08-03-2005, 11:23 PM
Been awhile since I group edited the values. If you have a lot of lights, you can also right click the top of your column and select add this column to the selection this will select all the cells below that column.
You can also select all the lights making sure a check mark is there by selecting the first light then shift select the last light, then press the p key to bring up the light panel. Using the light panel will make your values all equal. So if you need different values, but you wish to increase or decrease all the values, then you will need to use the scene editor.
Edit:I did not see Surrealist edit. Shift selecting the cells work as well. I told you it been awhile. ;)
Silk

Surrealist.
08-04-2005, 03:31 AM
Hey I forgot about right click over the colulmn! Sweet. That's the ticket. ;)

Dodgy
08-04-2005, 03:37 AM
Also be aware that you can multiple select lights and edit them all simultaneously in their own properties panel, except for volumetrics. This is the case for most of an items properties in LW now.

Surrealist.
08-04-2005, 03:42 AM
Also be aware that you can multiple select lights and edit them all simultaneously in their own properties panel, except for volumetrics. This is the case for most of an items properties in LW now.

Indeed. Dodgy comes through again! Of course you can. I was just thinking it would be nice to do it in the properties pannel, but I knew that, strange. Time to go to bed. :sleeping:

MonroePoteet
08-04-2005, 09:58 AM
Not sure if this is relevant to what you're really trying to do, but you can also set up a Null to control the intensity (or other attributes) of multiple lights simultaneously, similar to a ganged dimmer on a light board.

The basic technique is to use an expression in the Intensity envelope which uses something like the Null's Y Position to control the parameter.

If this is of interest, I can post details. Otherwise, sorry for the interruption. Back to our regularly scheduled program...

mTp

Mary K.Blohm
08-04-2005, 12:03 PM
Thank you all for showing me all the ways this could be accomplished.

The screenshot with labels was great.

It's amazing how one can struggle with these problems alone and then it turns out there are a host of easy solutions.

Thanks. :)

gjjackson
08-04-2005, 12:26 PM
I actually prefer JJ's One Touch editors, for Lights, Objects.

prospector
08-04-2005, 01:35 PM
OOPs, yep those free plug-ins are great too, fergot 'bout them.

And yes MonroePoteet, that would be nice :thumbsup:

When I start the spreadsheet, Lightwave crashes. I'm using 8.3 in Windows 2000.
Mine too, but WinXP Pro works fine here.

MonroePoteet
08-04-2005, 03:29 PM
Here's a pointer to a description of using expressions for intensity control on multiple lights:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=34861

You can use the same technique to control anything that uses an Envelope (has an "E" button, e.g. Color), creating as many controller Nulls and expressions as necessary.

mTp