PDA

View Full Version : Are you upgrading? When?

hrgiger
08-03-2005, 03:00 PM
Are you upgrading and if so, when do you plan to?

JML
08-03-2005, 03:03 PM
just did :D

art
08-03-2005, 03:04 PM
Count me in. I'll be placing (pre)order tomorrow. Vue5 Infinite offer is irresistible. I hope it comes with some kind of manual though..
And apart from that LW9 feature list is awesome too.

KillMe
08-03-2005, 03:52 PM
well i voted that i already had but i haven't but only becasue newtek europe is SLOW!!!!!! :mad:

GruvSyco
08-03-2005, 04:04 PM
maybe when LW 10 comes out I'll upgrade. Until then, i'll take the pretzels.

Brian Arndt
08-03-2005, 04:21 PM
you could make your own pretzels in LightWave 9, true they would be virtual and not editable but they would be darn purdy. :D

Silkrooster
08-03-2005, 04:40 PM
Didn't take me very long to make up my mind. Well worth the upgrade price. Especially with Vue 5 included.
Silk

operation
08-03-2005, 05:23 PM
No, I will not upgrade ... only if it's free ...

Looking at the Siggraph there is some interesting softwares:

(Maya 7, XSI 5.0, 3dsMax 8.0)......

What's bugging me , it's just LW 9.0 annoucement ( end of year maybe 1Q/2006 :( the soft was not ready for the Siggraph) - I understand it takes time to change the Lw core and add those features.

But I am very impressed by some features of XSI ... ( maya improvement are not bad at all, 3dsmax:.I have just read few about it).

Meaning to use LW as is until end of the year when some others will get cool tools just after the Siggraph ... :mad:

Until then , I will no use my money for an update ... I will save to buy a new package... and come back on LW when the soft will be strong ( every one knows when you start to touch a core with too much modifications... the software could become more unstable.

For professionnal reasons: I think it will be risky to use LW during this transition (L8.3 to LW 9.x): too much features in one time are very scary (cool but scary :eek: ). I don't want to use walkaround or discover bugs during production (bad experience with LW 5.6 to 6.0 ! :thumbsdow )

I will keep an eye open , the market starting to be competitive (Modo 201 looks cool ... seems to be Lw refounded from zero, they did a good work with good beta testers and customer requests). Seems to be the evolution of LW I was waiting for a long time, but I don't forget it's the old team working on it :mad: :thumbsdow .

I will wait and see...

Cheers !
Operation

Rich
08-03-2005, 05:27 PM
I can't wait to buy the upgrade because I have been looking into getting Vue 5. I have to wait till after my week long vacation to Central Florida in early August. :( I don't know how much money I am going to spend at Disney and Universal. Now this gives me a reason to spend much less so I make sure I have enough in the bank before the Vue deal is over. :D

KillMe
08-03-2005, 05:45 PM
yeah as someone who was thinking about buying vue its a no brainer- even if i wasn't at all excited about lw 9 ( which i am excited about by the way ) i get vue for less than i would have had to pay for it by itself and lw 9 - if thats not a great deal i dont knwo what is :thumbsup:

while point about it possibly becoming unstable - well i'll risk - as they seem to be doing it intelligently and newtek seems commited to making sure it will be stable ( some people seem to have complaints against lw 8 stablitiy but for me its been teh most stable version yet - only time i can remember it crashing on me was with cloth dynamics )

krimpr
08-03-2005, 05:56 PM
Soon as another combo becomes available. I already purchased VueI for full pop before it was released. My parents raised idiots. How about a break on the upcoming "Vue Fusion" plugin for LW.... That would be cool.

Adrian Lopez
08-03-2005, 06:03 PM
you could make your own pretzels in LightWave 9, true they would be virtual and not editable but they would be darn purdy. :DOf course they would be editable -- they just wouldn't be edible. :foreheads :screwy:

JamesCurtis
08-03-2005, 09:28 PM
Money is real tight for me right now and I don't have enough credit available to be able to charge the purchase. Business is quite sloooowww where i'm located!!

Have to try and put a few dollars away each week to get it. Hope that when i do have the money, the LW9/Vue 5 Infinite bundle will still be available at the $395 upgrade price from LW8.

Signal to Noise
08-03-2005, 09:35 PM
I just ordered thru my reseller today.

How could one not pass up on this upgrade? I mean when you look at the offer you are basically getting the point-release update for free AND $200+ off Vue 5 Infinite! As a former *cough* Bryce *cough* user, Vue will be a definite godsend. :thumbsup:

devin
08-03-2005, 09:44 PM
Anyone heard a definitive final date for the upgrade offer? As is par for the course I have had some other recent purchases and would like to postpone from purchasing as long as possible.

Silkrooster
08-03-2005, 09:45 PM
I just ordered thru my reseller today.

How could one not pass up on this upgrade? I mean when you look at the offer you are basically getting the point-release update for free AND $200+ off Vue 5 Infinite! As a former *cough* Bryce *cough* user, Vue will be a definite godsend. :thumbsup:

Yep, I hear ya. I still use Bryce and my renders show it. I can't wait to try out the ecosytem and rendering the scene in LW. :hey:
Silk

badllarma
08-03-2005, 10:17 PM
Well having been burnt at the last release sort of (I'm not gong into how long we waited :eek: )
I swore I'd not bother again, now as others have said if the update had included the upgrade from DFX+ to DFX 5.0 then I'd have paid an extra 100 UKP no worries at all! For it.

As for Vue until I can bing in my LW trees etc.... and use them in it's Eco System it's not worth the hard drive space (I have had a play with it).

Silkrooster
08-03-2005, 10:38 PM
According to their demo video you can load any object into the ecosystem. But then again I haven't had a chance to play with it yet.
Silk

Limbus
08-04-2005, 01:58 AM
I will upgrade for sure but I will wait for another bundle offer (no use for Vue5 even thou it is a nice piece of software) or a price drop for the upgrade.

Since I guess that some NewTek peeps are reading this I might as well state what I think would make a good bundle with LW9 ;-)

- FPrime
- G2
- some Evasion 3D Plug
- Update for DFX+
- ZBrush (this would sell like sliced Bread)
- Synteyes

Florian

Fizzer
08-04-2005, 02:06 AM
I will wait to upgrade. I will reserve judgment until I hear what others think of 9. All I require is a piece of software that does what it says on the tin.
The hype is usually greater than the reality. As 8+ was/is.

u wild
08-04-2005, 02:16 AM
I preordered right after recieveing the email with the news of lw9 coming soon. That was on august 1st. Can`t wait for the upgrade and for Vue 5 Infinite. Looks very interesting too.

red_eyes23
08-04-2005, 05:19 AM
I'll make the upgrade after the first or the second patch for release 9.
Great job on version 9 newtek. :thumbsup:

mattclary
08-04-2005, 05:35 AM
What's bugging me , it's just LW 9.0 annoucement ( end of year maybe 1Q/2006 :( the soft was not ready for the Siggraph)

If they are saying it should ship in Q4, I suspect it is demoable and they just chose not to. I suspect they are waiting to reveal some major UI changes.

colkai
08-04-2005, 05:47 AM
Waiting on confirmation of if I have to do a dongle upgrade.
That will have an impact, not just on cash, but on if I'll lose the use of any older plugins. Not sure, but I think one or two of my older "tied" ones are no longer in development - so I'd lose them completely, never mind having to re-regsiter them.
I'm just hoping someone has mis-interpreted something.

at_626
08-04-2005, 06:11 AM
wow... looks like everyone here are only(care about) interested on Vue rather than LW9 :tsktsk:

nt will be :bangwall: ... i think :D

mattclary
08-04-2005, 06:25 AM
Waiting on confirmation of if I have to do a dongle upgrade.

What are you taling about? Why would you have to upgarde your dongle? I assume you mean from parallel to USB?

wow... looks like everyone here are only(care about) interested on Vue rather than LW9

No, we are just excited because we can get it now vs. Q4 ;) We would all have upgarded anyway, Vue just made us do it immediately.

colkai
08-04-2005, 06:25 AM
That's because we'll get to play with Vue whilst we wait for LW9. :D
Full syncronization / integration of such a landscaping package would be very cool.

colkai
08-04-2005, 06:35 AM
Good news .. good news...
Someone had got their wires crossed. You DO NOT need a USB dongle for LW8.5 / LW9 to work. :D :D
I think there may have been some confusion over the need to upgrade the driver which we did when 8.3 came out.

Ahh, right... now, time to sweet talk the wife. :p ;)

Chuck
08-04-2005, 06:44 AM
No, I will not upgrade ... only if it's free ...

Looking at the Siggraph there is some interesting softwares:

(Maya 7, XSI 5.0, 3dsMax 8.0)......

What's bugging me , it's just LW 9.0 annoucement ( end of year maybe 1Q/2006 :( the soft was not ready for the Siggraph) - I understand it takes time to change the Lw core and add those features.

LightWave v9.0 is being demonstrated at SIGGRAPH. It's not shipping yet - but as I understand it neither are most of the other ordinal or point releases announced for the show.

Until then , I will no use my money for an update ... I will save to buy a new package... and come back on LW when the soft will be strong ( every one knows when you start to touch a core with too much modifications... the software could become more unstable.

For professionnal reasons: I think it will be risky to use LW during this transition (L8.3 to LW 9.x): too much features in one time are very scary (cool but scary :eek: ). I don't want to use walkaround or discover bugs during production (bad experience with LW 5.6 to 6.0 ! :thumbsdow )

The new development team is determined to make sure that the 9.0 update ships as the most stable version of LightWave ever. It will not be a case of needing to wait for a patch or two while the code is stabilized. And if you have 8.3 you have demonstrative proof of their ability to make major changes without losing stability - the extracted renderer, which was a major undertaking. The team did this under the noses of the skeptics claiming that a parallel changeover could not be executed, and the operation was so transparent and stable that no one noticed until we told them it was there.

I will wait and see...

Actually, you've already seen, you just didn't know it. I hope you'll give it some thought and come to realize that the new team is not going to repeat the past - every update, whether ordinal or point, is going to be more stable than the one preceding it. That's a requirement.

starbase1
08-04-2005, 06:50 AM
How about a break on the upcoming "Vue Fusion" plugin for LW.... That would be cool.

Vue Fusion?! What is this?

colkai
08-04-2005, 07:04 AM
Vue Fusion?! What is this?
Yeah, I've seen this mentioned a couple of times.
Does the fusion mean some sort of compositing? Or is it a fusion of Vue with the 'core' program. So there is complete cross-talk of objects of all types, lights, etc
I have read Vue5 and Lw are aimed to be seamlessly intergrated, so objects etc.. (and maybe the EcoSystem stuff?) can be rendered from LW as if still in Vue, (dunno if that applies to post-process things and volumetrics as well though).

Chuck
08-04-2005, 07:12 AM
If they are saying it should ship in Q4, I suspect it is demoable and they just chose not to. I suspect they are waiting to reveal some major UI changes.

We're demoing 9 on the main stage; I'm not certain whether Operation meant that he thought we were not demoing or just that he expects everything else that has been announced will ship sooner than LightWave 3D, but I've tried to answer in case his concern was thinking we were not demoing. As for shipping relative to when others are, I've heard that some of the others also are estimating 4th quarter; I've not caught up on all the announcements, so some may be planning earlier releases. We'll ship when the product is ready, and we're optimistic about meeting the estimate on this, but it is, as ever, an estimate.

Really, it would be good for anyone with concerns to bear a few points in mind:

- the first phase of reconstruction, needed in order to reach the capability to do the major restructuring for 9, has been going on all during the cycles since the 8.0 release, and included the renderer extraction, which was managed so well that it went unnoticed by the users.

- the majority of the changeover in the development environment has been accomplished as well in those same cycles, though there are major elements that have gone into place since 8.3, and still elements remaining for the 9 cycle. But overall, again the changes so far have been managed well enough to be transparent for the user - and each release has brought greater stability to the application.

- a lot of the work for 9 will consist not only of the restructuring of major core segments, but also of tool consolidation and workflow streamlining - some things that have had a variety of similar tools with slightly varying workflows or options are going to be integrated into a single tool with the options needed to meet any of the tasks that the previous multiple tools did - so there's going to be a simplification process going on, and that can only help stability.

mattclary
08-04-2005, 07:20 AM
OOPS, my bad. I hadn't heard anyone talking about seeing it... Any way we can see some screenshots?

Actually, if it looks just like 8.x, no need. ;)

colkai
08-04-2005, 07:25 AM
There are some shots on SQ but that's down at the moment again, Tess has been posting some stuff up there. The look is very much LW but is much more configurable from what I can tell from the pictures.

beverins
08-04-2005, 07:33 AM
From what I understand of Vue Fusion, its a plugin that is in itself a stripped down version of Vue Infinite. Currently only available for Max and Maya, the page at e-on does mention that LW support will be available "later" whatever that means. The page also mentions that if you actually want to use Vue Infinite as a program, Fusion will not enable that functionality and you have to go out and buy Infinite seperately.

As to what Fusion does, I think it places the ability to have millions to billions of polygons in your scene through instancing, as well as having their atmospheric and ecosystem renderer for your projects. I'm sure there's some limitation as its only a plugin and not the full software. They're not too specific on their web page to be sure.

JML
08-04-2005, 07:46 AM
it seems that LW9 color scheme might be orange/red (looking at the LW9 logo)

so how about this ? ;)

colkai
08-04-2005, 07:55 AM
As to what Fusion does, I think it places the ability to have millions to billions of polygons in your scene through instancing, as well as having their atmospheric and ecosystem renderer for your projects.
Yeah, that sounds like it opens up the "EcoSystem" stuff to LW / Max etc..

Plus of course, there may be developments in LW9 to provide better ties to Vue, not just from the Vue software end.
If this were fully integrated, it would be great for all manner of reasons.

hrgiger
08-04-2005, 02:43 PM
96 votes so far and 88% of those who have voted plan to upgrade between now and when Lightwave 9 is released.(sorry, I'm in statistics class right now) That's encouraging.

monovich
08-04-2005, 03:12 PM
At the siggraph demo of [9], they said that VUE will render from within LW by the end of the year. I'm sure it's the same plugin that you guys are talking about, which I saw demo'ed for other platforms at their own booth.

Then again, the interview that we've all read said that LW9 will have a 2x speed increase over 8, but on the stage at Siggraph the guy was saying "three to FOUR times, and more than that by the end of the year!". He was obviously a little excited...

CB_3D
08-04-2005, 04:00 PM
Really depends on a lot. I supppose 9.3 would be a safer bet (stabilitywise) considering how many radical changes the software will suffer (enjoy).

Kvaalen
08-04-2005, 06:13 PM
96 votes so far and 88% of those who have voted plan to upgrade between now and when Lightwave 9 is released.(sorry, I'm in statistics class right now) That's encouraging.If you are in a statistics course, you should also take into consideration two more things:

- Who has a motivation to vote? Those who aren't upgrading have no reason to bother voting, while those who are, (normally) want to express it.

- Who is currently visiting the forums? My guess is that most people who don't plan to upgrade aren't visiting this forum very often if at all.

I hope I'm not disappointing anyone. :)

Verlon
08-04-2005, 08:23 PM
ordered this morning...I wanted Vue 5 pretty bad and that was just the excuse I needed.

hrgiger
08-05-2005, 05:19 AM
If you are in a statistics course, you should also take into consideration two more things:

- Who has a motivation to vote? Those who aren't upgrading have no reason to bother voting, while those who are, (normally) want to express it.

- Who is currently visiting the forums? My guess is that most people who don't plan to upgrade aren't visiting this forum very often if at all.

I hope I'm not disappointing anyone. :)

Yes, but this isn't a population we're polling, just a sample of the population. It's called a convenience sample. So the above considerations aren't really relevant in this poll.

But just keeping your points in mind, I would have to argue both of them from a theoretical standpoint. I would agree with your first point in general on a guess, but I would also say that people who are unhappy with what they're hearing about 9 would be motivated to vote also and have their voice heard(also known as complaining) and those number aren't showing in the "not upgrading or not sure" categories. So I would venture that most people seem happy with what they're hearing with a few notable exceptions.

As far as your second point, I would only say that out of the entire user base of Lightwave users, there is no way to know how many of them currently use or have ever used the forums so we can't rely on who visits the forums to say how many people are going to upgrade or not so that makes both of our points moot most likely. But as I said, these polls are only samples of a larger population but this sample seems mostly positive.

mattclary
08-05-2005, 05:30 AM
I got my UPS tracking number for Vue last night!!! Woooo HOOOO!!!! :boogiedow

hrgiger
08-05-2005, 05:31 AM
Yeah, I just got mine as well...It's supposed to be delivered on August 10th.

operation
08-05-2005, 05:55 AM
to chuck:(excuse my english, it's not perfect)

When I said:

"What's bugging me , it's just LW 9.0 annoucement ( end of year maybe 1Q/2006 the soft was not ready for the Siggraph"

I mean not ready to "distribute", to sell to customers ... of course I know it's demoable! For me it's a "teasing" or "teaser" ?? Something to keep attention ...
Hope you understand... something similar to say : "hey ! Stay with us, we are working on it ... after the Siggraph you will have an 8.5 update but you will have to wait 4Q to have 9.0"

some company was ready at the Siggraph with new versions... but hey ! developing is not an easy things :)

the renderer extraction, which was managed so well that it went unnoticed by the users.

Nope !!! don't think it was invisible :hey: I did take a look to the Programs directory on 8.3 upgrade ... there were some new DLL , some deleted ...
I did guessed the changes went this way... ( I have some knowledge about programming) and some Material shaders (plugins) had some strange reaction between the Modeler and Layout 8~
The other problem during the core extraction was the "interlace field -rendering", when I got this bug I did understand that it was not a simple bug to resolve .... due to the chnage inside the rendering core
But I am not in the Lw code, I can't say exactly what they changed ...

Perhaps later you will know more about me ... :hey:

Sorry , I didn't want to sound rude in my previous post ( I learn english by myself and I don't use a dictionnary.. not always the good word at the right place, and sometime it could sound "harsh" too), but no hanger against you or the team.

You do a good work, I wish to do more myself for you , that's all. :thumbsup:

Cheers!

Operation
Mourad K.

bhealy27
08-05-2005, 06:52 AM
Bought Vue 5 Infinite when it first came out so I have no need for a new copy but I do have a couple of questions.

1. Does anyone have an inkling as to whether there is or will be an offer to upgrade to LW 9 perhaps more cheaply without Vue 5 Infinite (i.e. to upgrade to LW 9 only without anything else bundled in) and

2. If I do upgrade to LW 9 separately will my existing copy of Infinite 5 work with it or is there some special link between the two programs that can only be exploited by accepting the special offer?

riki
08-05-2005, 06:57 AM
Will the Vue deal be offerred when 9 is released?

Steve McRae
08-05-2005, 07:31 AM
I will hold off until it ships for two reasons:

a) because of the 8 upgrade fiasco
b) to hear what others say about it first

lede
08-05-2005, 09:28 AM
After reading some of the reports about the LW9 demo from sigraph I knew this upgrade was going to imporve my workflow again. So the order went in today just in time for my vacation so hopefully when I get back I'll have a nice packedge of Vue waiting for me on my door step.

NT has really started rebuilding my confidence in their ability to ship their prodects of lately. Just looking over their present history since 8 shipped we have had some great updates since then. Almost to many for me to remember and now that we will be getting 8.5 this is really exciting news. Now off course I will probably be the first one wipping egg of my face when LW9 shipps later than expected :D

-Lee

hrgiger
08-05-2005, 10:32 AM

I can certainly understand this reasoning. I have to admit that I was a bit frustrated after LW8 was released, not only because it was so late but also because I felt like all the improvements made in the area of character animation, it really didn't seem to be the things I was hoping for. However, I think I stuck with it because I knew how a lot of the original developers had left and it didn't give the new people a lot of time to know the code, let alone make significant changes. I felt like I liked Lightwave enough to see where they were going.
I already ordered my upgrade to Lightwave 9 because I think things are bearing fruit now. Lightwave 9 seems to have almost everything people have been asking (or complaining) about in the last few years. Edges, n-gons, new renderer that is faster and better quality, support for OpenGL 2.0, integrated app(or rather better integrated), not to mention restructuring the entire program to make it easier to add features in the future as well as opening up the SDK more to third party apps (as well as third party renderers!). Too good to be true? We'll see but it certainly appears to be moving in the direction I had hoped it was moving towards.

mattclary
08-05-2005, 11:00 AM

Vue 5 sells for $599. You do the math. :thumbsup:

Signal to Noise
08-05-2005, 12:20 PM

:agree:
Exactly! I am really surprised folks are being hesitant or reacting negatively about the upgrade.

Based on the current offer the upgrade is free, people! And Vue 5 comes to you at over $200 off!

This is really a no-brainer for current :lwicon: users who do not already own Vue 5. Get the deal and don't install [9] if you're paranoid. At least you can play with Vue. No harm done.

Take advantage of it before the deal disappears.

trick
08-05-2005, 01:19 PM
After careful considerations I will upgrade once v9 is rock-solid. I have "lost" a lot of time checking if I could change my workflow into a new release, and until now this has given me a lot of problems (not only with LW but also with other software in my pipeline). At the moment I'm still very pleased with 7.5, which integrates fine and am really glad that in a hopefully not so distant future a new release will arrive which can replace a big part of this pipeline. Vue Infinite is going to be the last software that I need: both because of features AND stability.

cresshead
08-05-2005, 06:53 PM
hi

i've not placed my vote as yet.... :D

i'll have two lightwave 8's to upgrade so i'd sooner have a deal for upgrading 2 seats than getting 'vue'....'for free' or otherwise...
:lwicon:
lw 9 looks very neat..and reading the roadmap of lightwave it's looks to have quite a bright future

just upgraded max too [7.5 and soon 8.0 as i'm on subscription now] so i have quite a few new toys to play with so no major rush for lw 9 and would wait till a dual upgrade deal comes out for lw9.

i think most 3d software has had a good siggraph...
maya...nice pixar stuff in there...
xsi...texture layers
max fur, hair, cloth, non linear animation,...
lightwave 8.5 64 bit...lw 9...loads of stuff
cinema.......not looked
silo....displacement painting

:thumbsup:

lardbros
08-06-2005, 12:31 PM
Hang on... i have been in Italy for 3 weeks, not checking the Newtek forums once... i come back and check the forum and now Lightwave 9 is planned for the end of this year!???

Wait...
maybe the sun was far too hot in Rome?! Or maybe the stunningly gorgeous italian women have fried my brain??

Nope, this is really happening... i'm going to leave the country more often if i come back with surprises like this!

I'm upgrading as soon as i have the cash, which won't be too long i hope. Netwek have stunned me, and if this release comes on time i will be sending my laundry bill to Newtek, my pants just won't be clean! :D

mgreenway
08-07-2005, 09:55 AM
I paid up front and waited a year to get it. When it was finally released they came out with a better deal and to top it off, most of the new features had problems.
I'll wait and see.
LW has allot of great stuff and I'd like to start using it again, but I need stability and a UI that is conducive to getting work done.

The future might be bright but I'm forced to work in the here and now.

JamesCurtis
08-07-2005, 12:03 PM
I really do want to upgrade my LW8x to LW9 and get Vue5 Infinite for free, but the only thing stopping me is a lack of the cash or credit available to do it. Unless I get a windfall from new clients, money repaid from a budy or two, or someone lets me use thier credit card [ha ha ha] - I'll have to wait!!

Please Newtek, keep the LW9 + Vue5 deal open past the release of LW9.

Lamont
08-07-2005, 01:14 PM
some things that have had a variety of similar tools with slightly varying workflows or options are going to be integrated into a single tool with the options needed to meet any of the tasks that the previous multiple tools did - so there's going to be a simplification process going on, and that can only help stability.That's really nice!! No more Drag/Move/Snap stuffs.

I'm upgrading as soon as it hits the shelves. I can care less what anyone thinks/speculates about LW's future.

I hope LW9 has something for nomalmap creation though ;).

And I did notice some extra DLL's in the programs folder for LW when I went to make a LSID shortcut. I just didn't think much of it, and thought they had always been there.

BloodQuest
08-07-2005, 08:14 PM
but I don't forget it's the old team working on it

Actually, I believe it's the old team who left things in a mess before going off to do something "cool".

The new team have done a great job getting things straightened out during the 8.X cycle. With that done, things should really be in shape to move things forward...

Simon Coombs
Turn to the darkside

DragonFist
08-07-2005, 08:22 PM
I really do want to upgrade my LW8x to LW9 and get Vue5 Infinite for free, but the only thing stopping me is a lack of the cash or credit available to do it. Unless I get a windfall from new clients, money repaid from a budy or two, or someone lets me use thier credit card [ha ha ha] - I'll have to wait!!

Please Newtek, keep the LW9 + Vue5 deal open past the release of LW9.

I second that! (For similar reasons.)

Steve McRae
08-08-2005, 04:04 AM

. . . but this is only relevant if you were planning on buying Vue 5 in the firstplace . . .

mattclary
08-08-2005, 04:40 AM
. . . but this is only relevant if you were planning on buying Vue 5 in the firstplace . . .

No, it's only relevant if you are interested in adding another 3D weapon to your arsenal. If you are content with the skies done with skytracer, this deal probably isn't for you. :bangwall:

trick
08-08-2005, 05:28 AM
No, it's only relevant if you are interested in adding another 3D weapon to your arsenal. If you are content with the skies done with skytracer, this deal probably isn't for you. :bangwall:

So you think E-on's skies are THE solution for perfect skies ? :confused:
Since it's first release I have been trying VERY hard to like Vue since it SHOULD have some interesting points. I even have Ozone which is the "sky only" generator (as a seperation from Vue) for LW. Next to the fact I never used it (in animations) because of it's terrible quality skies, it crashes within a few minutes when you do some serious setup inside it's interface, and it crashed my renderfarm so many times I got serious headaches I realized I lost another renderday the next morning. After reporting this in the beginning, in ALL this time there was ONE update which actually fixed nothing.
Maybe the latest incarnations of Vue are really rocksolid. But after starting some serious things in all the demos I tried, I never came accross the 5-minute-use barrier :D I know some serious (awardwinning) viz-artists who eagerly bought Vue Pro or Inifinite and did some enthousiastic early reports months ago: I am STILL waiting for some professional results. Well I guess Vue Infinite is still not professional enough, since they are still releasing new suites for BETTER integration: I really would like to know if Vue Fusion will be offered for free to all Vue Infinite customers, since I guess a lot of users would feel very bad since they should already have the best integration there is :D

If anybody can show some really professional work (NOT coming from E-on) - and I mean minutes animation integrated with any hostapplication - I will take ALL this back, but until then there is nothing that can convince me otherwise...

mattclary
08-08-2005, 05:56 AM
Well, unless you are animating the sky iteself, Vue 5 will output HDRI probes. So you should only really need to render out from Vue once, depending on your need.

My point is (and it still baffles me why I have to explain this), is that for the upgrade price of $395, you get LW 9 and Vue. If that's not a good enough reason for anyone to break out the wallet, they should just go ahead and switch to another app. Even if you are of the school "I will wait for 9.1 because point releases are never stable" it still makes sense just to buy it and not install it until your satisfactory .x download is available.

p.s.

So you think E-on's skies are THE solution for perfect skies ?

Don't know about perfect, but they are **** sure better and easier to use than Skytracer. What do YOU use for "perfect" skies?

digital verve
08-08-2005, 06:38 AM
Maybe the latest incarnations of Vue are really rocksolid. But after starting some serious things in all the demos I tried, I never came accross the 5-minute-use barrier

Like any software app, you have to invest a good amount of time learning and experimenting with the tools until you know how to get the results you want. The features and output looks good, much better than the not so good Vue 3 I played with a while back.

The clouds in this image looks good:
http://www.e-onsoftware.com/Products/vue5infinite/images/terrain.jpg

and these:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=256461
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=253848
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=250290

Hopefully my Vue will arrive this week :)

mattclary
08-08-2005, 07:38 AM
The clouds in this image looks good:
http://www.e-onsoftware.com/Products/vue5infinite/images/terrain.jpg

In all fairness, I need to point out that I saw this same picture in elsewhere and it states that the clouds are taken from several photos.

Scroll down until you see the thumbnail of that pic and click it.
http://www.e-onsoftware.com/Products/vue5infinite/?Page=2

digital verve
08-08-2005, 08:10 AM
In all fairness, I need to point out that I saw this same picture in elsewhere and it states that the clouds are taken from several photos.

Scroll down until you see the thumbnail of that pic and click it.
http://www.e-onsoftware.com/Products/vue5infinite/?Page=2

Oh well :o . Good terrain though :)

The other three still have good looking Vue clouds. :D

Emmanuel
08-08-2005, 08:50 AM
Just put my order :)
Geez, my first upgrade since 7.5 :)
Vue probably will help me doing my illustrations and animations faster and better.

Nemoid
08-08-2005, 09:00 AM
We're demoing 9 on the main stage; I'm not certain whether Operation meant that he thought we were not demoing or just that he expects everything else that has been announced will ship sooner than LightWave 3D, but I've tried to answer in case his concern was thinking we were not demoing. As for shipping relative to when others are, I've heard that some of the others also are estimating 4th quarter; I've not caught up on all the announcements, so some may be planning earlier releases. We'll ship when the product is ready, and we're optimistic about meeting the estimate on this, but it is, as ever, an estimate.

Really, it would be good for anyone with concerns to bear a few points in mind:

- the first phase of reconstruction, needed in order to reach the capability to do the major restructuring for 9, has been going on all during the cycles since the 8.0 release, and included the renderer extraction, which was managed so well that it went unnoticed by the users.

- the majority of the changeover in the development environment has been accomplished as well in those same cycles, though there are major elements that have gone into place since 8.3, and still elements remaining for the 9 cycle. But overall, again the changes so far have been managed well enough to be transparent for the user - and each release has brought greater stability to the application.

- a lot of the work for 9 will consist not only of the restructuring of major core segments, but also of tool consolidation and workflow streamlining - some things that have had a variety of similar tools with slightly varying workflows or options are going to be integrated into a single tool with the options needed to meet any of the tasks that the previous multiple tools did - so there's going to be a simplification process going on, and that can only help stability.

Now these are exciting things to know. NT team is doing a fantastic job so far and is going more and more towards a full Lw integration. I didn't expeced a feature list like the one they've presented so soon. They are rapid too. And this is Excellent. ;)

pixeltek
08-08-2005, 09:05 AM
Having owned Vue since Vue 4 Pro, and having since upgraded to Vue (5 Pro) Infinite, I am waiting for a different bundle. Plus, first there'll be 8.5 to enjoy. No rush right now, but definitely in due time.

Karl
http://www.cosmic-pearl.com/

trick
08-08-2005, 09:47 AM
...Don't know about perfect, but they are **** sure better and easier to use than Skytracer. What do YOU use for "perfect" skies?

Perfect skies come either from Photo's, Matte paintings or real Volumetrics. If I need perfect volumetric and/or animated skies, I use NatureFX (sometimes in combination with a Photo or Matte): it needs a lot of tweaking to get what you want, but then it renders fast and really beautiful. (I really would like FPrime to render shaders :( ).

There is no doubt that I'm upgrading to v9, but as history told me, there will be more deals like this one. Even if Vue5 Inf would cost $2000 I still would not ride this wave. But then again, it would surely be a better program, and in that case I had to reconsider my arguments ;)

PS: Vue 5 Inf really is worth $600, even if it's only for the heigh WOW-factor and for it's ease of use. For professional use however I need features that can fit bugfree and without stability issues into my pipeline. This does NOT mean that the complete application has to be stable, only the features I need. Even if this was 1% of all available features, I would still see it's value. But sadly I just can't...and believe me again...I really tried...A long time ago I also tried Animatek's Worldbuilder in combination with LW and MAX. I even was offered a full version to test it out. It had far better integration then Vue5Inf has now and still it was a real hassle to set up environments for rendering in the host. If you are really good in your host app you can get better results without Vue or Worldbuilder or WCT in less time. But you definitely need instancing (HD_Instance, VRay proxies, etc)

...http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=256461...

I really wish this (the sky I mean) would come out of Vue, but it surely is NOT :eek:

hrgiger
08-08-2005, 10:25 AM
Wow, a lot of participation on the poll, but then I notice a lot more people tune into the forums around Siggraph and around the times that Lightwave updates are forthcoming for any new news.

We're still running at over 84% of users polled are planning to upgrade or have already done so.

Another 10% are undecided.

And 6% just have to change their mind. :p

Intuition
08-08-2005, 10:39 AM
I'm going to upgrade to 9 because I always like to get my hands dirty with the new stuff.

I know Chuck has reassured us of stability and that it has recieved extra attention this time but I somehow don't believe this yet.

I'm sure it is stable in the newtek offices where the computers are probably nice but I hvae yet to see a x.0 release that was near perfectly stable except for maybe 4.0.

Not to bag on newtek because I am a newtek gusher. I love this company. But it seems I was at 5.5 then 6.5 then 7.5 then 8.2/3 for most of my Lightwave career. Haven't seen much x.0 usage.

I will be upgrading to 9 soon anyways regardless because they will get it stable anyways if it turns out it isn't. Nothing I am not used to. I'm sure 8.5 will be nice enough until then.

Please don't change the forums red even if 9 is red themed. :lwicon:

I like the blue alot.

Big Jay
08-08-2005, 03:04 PM
I believe that the update will kick serious booty, but putting out money for something that showed up a year after I expected was enough stress for one life time.

Also, Newtek always has a deal going on so I am not afraid of missing software that I didn't want anyway. A dfx 5 deal I would jump on, or even a dfx to digital fusion 4 deal I would jump on. Or a FPrime deal etc... you get the idea. Enough people have harped on those two so I'll leave it like that.

Kvaalen
08-08-2005, 05:47 PM
I would also say that people who are unhappy with what they're hearing about 9 would be motivated to vote also and have their voice heard(also known as complaining)I would think so as well but the reason I said that is, I guess, not statistically correct. :)

I would have voted for one of the later ones, but yet I just don't have any real motivation to (other than to help your statistics, so I did). That is why I was supposing what I said. And, for me at least, it's not complaining. I suppose I'm not the only one out there that feels that way.

private
08-08-2005, 11:22 PM

FINALLY! YES!

byte_fx
08-09-2005, 02:03 PM
Will most likely buy after it's been out awhile - might even wait for the first bug fix.

Had Infinite - crashed every time. Only program that did.

After a lot a lot of hassle managed to return it for full refund.

So there's no incentive to pre-order.

But I do eagerly await the release of 8.5

byte_fx

colkai
08-10-2005, 04:22 AM
Ok, after yet another post on the groups with conflicting info regarding dongles and if you need to upgrade to USB, I decided to ask Newtek Europe directly, here's what Ben had to say...

Right, here's the skinny on dongles: (feel free to post it wherever you like!)

* If you have a parallel dongle it will continue working with LightWaves for the forseeable future, unless:
* You want to use the 64-bit version of LightWave, in which case you need to upgrade to a USB duo dongle because there are no 64-bit drivers written by Safenet for the parallel dongle;
* You want to switch to a Mac, which has no parallel port;

* If you have a USB duo dongle, you won't need to change it at all;

* If you have a Mac-only USB dongle, I'm not sure at the moment, but the point is moot since there's no 64-bit version of LightWave that might require new drivers for the Mac, because the Mac isn't a fully 64-bit machine.

* Lastly, it's worth noting that if you make an upgrade to LightWave now, you can get a free dongle swap, otherwise there's a charge. The charge is 50+VAT or 30+VAT for the UK.

Notice that on this upgrade, your dongle swap should be free - so it may be worth those of you in the UK questioning OneVideo over this as the above is the offical line from Newtek.