PDA

View Full Version : Render Times

grc
08-03-2005, 08:12 AM
Hi,

Is there any way the you can get an estimate of rendering times before you begin the render?
Also is it possible to save a render that's only part finished?
And one final thing I generally render at 3400X4600 aprox for a still frame, any tips on speeding the render times up.

starbase1
08-03-2005, 09:33 AM
I think you will have to be a LOT more specific about the features you are using and the kind of subject matter before you get any seriously useful tips...

But always worth checking:

1. Ray trace optimisation is ON and you are not doing anything unessesary in the way of ray tracing. See how low you can get the number of steps, the default is way too high.

2. Adaptive AA works well for still images, and saves time.

3. HV's are very dependant on the quality settings, and it's well worth twiddling the parameters to see if you can get what you want with fewer slices or lower settings.

4. Textures - if a texture appears a lot, you can save time by reducing the number of octaves, (sometimes increasing the small power closer to one will add fine detail for lower CPU cost).

5. If it's a still image, you will probably want motion blur turned off! (Or if not, try and get away with vector blur).

Nick

Captain Obvious
08-03-2005, 09:54 AM
Render without anti-aliasing and multiply it by the amount of anti-aliasing you will be using is probably a good estimate. Or render in 25% size and multiply it by 16.

grc
08-03-2005, 10:00 AM
Thanks very much for those tips.

Speed is a problem, but if there was a rough readout to how long the process would take then at least you could render at a small size and then interpolate the file up afterwards.
At the moment it's just guessword, I have set my multithreading to two threads, I have a space scene with a volumetrics nebula and three area lights and it took a day and a half to render at 4600X3400.

grc
08-03-2005, 10:04 AM
Thaks CO that a good idea I have to try that