PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have something like MultiEdit???

IgnusFast
08-02-2005, 09:18 PM
I'm getting REALLY frustrated trying to tweak multiple lights in a scene; there are 80, and it was irritating enough parenting them to a null. But now I need to change brightness and such, and it's crushing my will to live.

Does anyone have a script or program for OS X that will do mass changes?

Anyone? :)

evenflcw
08-03-2005, 12:02 AM
What's wrong with using Scene Editor>Property (LW8.x) or the SpreadSheet (LW7.x)?

Changing intensity from within the Light Properties panel should change it for all selected aswell, but the PropertySheet/SpreadSheet gives you more control and better overview.

IgnusFast
08-03-2005, 12:16 AM
The Lightwave 7 manual (latest I have) only has 7 pages on the Scene Editor, and not much detail at that.

I actually just tried playing around with the Scene Editor earlier, but I A) couldn't figure out how to do more than one object at once, and B) There were no text entry boxes, and scrubbing the fields to change value was so slow with my current scene as to be unusable.

If I'm missing something, PLEASE, by all means let me know!!!

Lewis
08-14-2005, 02:10 PM
Hi !

First it would be good to know what version of LW you are using ?

Scene editor can select multiple objects in seconds so no problems there. You can adjust various object/light properties there with few clicks.

Dodgy
08-14-2005, 03:13 PM
You should be able to multiselect your light and use the Light properties panel to set brightness etc. Not sure how many features it applies to in 7 (in 8 you can do all but volumetrics and light exclusion) but intensity,colour and a few of the other basic settings you should be able to do.

If you do it in the scene editor, you have to select the light properties pane, and by multi-clicking the intensity fields, a pop up requester should have the change fields options.

IgnusFast
08-14-2005, 09:30 PM
My thanks to Dodgy and Lewis-- I got it sorted out. I'm using Lightwave 8.3. That answered the properties problem.

Only other thing that's irritating is that I created 80 lights using Luxigons. They're all area lights. The thing that sucks is that for some reason when they're converted to lights from luxigons, none of them are rotated to the normal of the polygons that they're created from, and there doesn't appear to be a way to tilt the lights en-mass.

Sigh. I love Modeler, but WOW I don't think much of Layout sometimes. I'd still rather see more Layout tools integrated into Modeler than vice-versa as is happening now.

colkai
08-15-2005, 02:49 AM
Hmm,
I just tried creating a set of area lights from a dome, they were all alignedwith th enormal of the polygon from which they were spawned. However, their "normal" was not aligned with the polygon, instead being std X/Y/Z orientation, is this what you meant by not aligned?

As to rotating them, have you tried selecting them en-mass and just using the rotate tool? Certainly the size tool will resize them all together. (Actually, just tried that, they rotate about their normal, so should be ok).

Dodgy
08-15-2005, 05:45 AM
When I convert luxigons, they do align with the polys too. If they're facing the wrong way you can select them all, click on the pitchhandle and drag and they rotate to face inwards (this shouldn't matter for area lights, they cast light out both ways, but for spots (which you should be using if you're using a lot) this will work.