PDA

View Full Version : Question about LW9 update and Vue 5

hrgiger
08-02-2005, 07:16 PM
I just pre-ordered my Lightwave 9.0 upgrade (thank you Newtek!) and I have a question about the Vue 5 package that comes with it. On the order page, it says that the upgrade comes with the Vue 5 Infinate Application CD. But if you buy a new version of Lightwave 8 you also get the following items:

Vue 5 Infinate Extra CD
Vue 5 Infinite complete Electronic Reference Manual

Do we not get these with the upgrade? That seems strange considering the people getting the new copy of Lightwave 8 also get a free upgrade to version 9 in addition to these extra items.

And if we don't get them, are the docs at least available from their website on pdf?

BTW, I looked at the Vue 5 video and flash content and it looks like an awesome program!

Silkrooster
08-02-2005, 09:43 PM
I agree with you. Thats why I jumped at the ver 9 upgrade so quickly.
I am thinking they may have just left that out with out realizing it. But I am sure we will find out soon, since Chuck said that Vue will ship out right away.
Silk

Imatk
08-02-2005, 10:53 PM
Also why is there a shipping charge for the electronic version?

Silkrooster
08-02-2005, 11:40 PM
Probably because version 9 will only be shipped via CD's not download. Usually electronic version just means a pdf manual instead of the paper version. But then again I could be wrong. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long to find out.
Silk

Zach
08-03-2005, 12:02 AM
seems like there is a shipping charge cause they have to ship it. They ship the LW dvd/cd's to you and you have an "electronic" manual on the media shipped. I may be wrong, but I don't think i am. sorry in advance.

But I think that is a really good question about the manuals for nine when you buy eight now with the manuals.

So far, I've been having a problem even getting 8 to ship! I ordered the vue bundle last week and have been wrastlin with one of the administrative assistants to have it sent to me.

Unfortunately, I'm in a place that isn't the same as my billing address and it has made the shipping process very difficult (not the charging process though. That showed immediately on my credit card!) Thank god I didn't have a deadline depending on it. I used something else instead, but would have done it quicker if I had LW... I just want to get my hands on vue. It looks very very awesome, and being in the tahoe area, i have lots of reference to go off of to make some interesting forested environments.

mattclary
08-03-2005, 04:22 AM
Yeah, the term "electronic" was chewed to death when they first did it with LW8. You get CD shipped to you, there is no download. Anyone know how to get a hard copy of the Vue manual? For a new program, I like to have something solid to read, LW I just use as a reference nowadays.

lesford
08-03-2005, 10:14 AM
E-on sells the manual for Lightwavers on their site. I think it's about 60 bucks.

Les

mattclary
08-03-2005, 11:54 AM
Thanks, Les. Guess I should have actually bothered to use that mouse button to browse to their site! :o I might as well have asked "How do you make a box". :o

Earl
08-03-2005, 12:06 PM
Just ordered my upgrade to v9 as well. I am really looking forward to getting my hands on it!

In the meantime...playing around with Vue 5 should be fun. :cool:

JML
08-03-2005, 12:24 PM
Just ordered my upgrade to v9 as well. I am really looking forward to getting my hands on it!

In the meantime...playing around with Vue 5 should be fun. :cool:

same here, it will be good to see how things from vue5 import in LW,
I think it can be very useful to add lots of folliage into an exterior scene.. or some plants in an interior scene.. it's going to be fun.

Zach
08-03-2005, 12:50 PM
Yes, I am told me LW bundle is shipping today!!

Gaze
08-03-2005, 01:10 PM
E-on sells the manual for Lightwavers on their site. I think it's about 60 bucks.

LesI'm just starting out trying to render (primarily architectural). While surveying the many packages out there, trying to decide on a software strategy 8~ , I kept checking NT site for info and features. I was leaning toward ACAD->VIZ (mental ray), but then came across the new price offering here for LW+VUE. Well it has certainly swayed me :D . I think it will work out nicely for my needs...ACAD+LW+VUE.

A few opinion requests before I push the 'Buy' button:

1. Should I buy LW with the hardcopy manuals? Or is there a smarter approach? E-on?
2. Will I also be getting hardcopy manuals for VUE if I choose the "with manuals" option?
3. Do/Can I also get the electronic documention for both packages if I choose the hardcopy manuals option?

Many thanks

Earl
08-03-2005, 01:19 PM
A few opinion requests before I push the 'Buy' button:
1. Should I buy LW with the hardcopy manuals? Or is there a smarter approach? E-on?
2. Will I also be getting hardcopy manuals for VUE if I choose the "with manuals" option?
3. Do/Can I also get the electronic documention for both packages if I choose the hardcopy manuals option?

1. I prefer to have the hardcopy manuals, but I also like to sit down away from the computer and read it. I'm also a sucker for software manuals. Even if I learn nothing of them I still enjoy reading them. Quite pathetic, I know. :( For a new user, I would suggest the hardcopy manuals, but honestly it's not necessary. You get the PDF manual (which is complete in every way, and searchable) regardless of what you order. Keep in mind the hardcopy manuals are almost always in grayscale black/white printing, while the PDF electronic version is in color.

2. I believe the option for "hardcopy manual" only refers to LW. You will have to order the manual from E-on. If I'm incorrect on this, someone please say so.

3. You always get the LW electronic documentation. Always. You also get any addendum PDFs if such are required for 9.x updates. There is also an online help system, separate from the PDF manual, which has a search feature and tutorials. This can be lauched directly from inside LightWave.

KillMe
08-03-2005, 01:22 PM
pretty sure you get the electronic manuals even fi you opt for hard copy - the manual for lightwave is it worth it well depends really i never used mine but its nice having it there jsut incase i ever do need it for something obscure

probally better off getting the inside lightwave 8 book by dan ablan it will get you started with lightwave in no time where tha manul is or used to be pretty dry ( lightwave 7 version ) technical stuff

i dont think you'll get the vue manual hard copy if you opt for the lightwave with manul version - but someone mentioned that you can get them from eon for $60 or something but you coudl try out the software first and see if you wanted it or not could save yourself some cash

yeah i'd go for without manuals and get inside lightwave 8 and then pic up the vue manual if and when i thought i needed it

JML
08-03-2005, 01:24 PM
we also do lots of architectural render, and we chose LW too,

If you are starting with LW you might want to get the hard copy of the manual for LW. (it's huge and it's good to have at least one in the company)

if you already know LW, the pdf version is fine.

whatever you get electronic or not, you will get electronic manuals for
Vue5 and LW.
you won't be able to get real manual for Vue5.

(that's from what I understood)

beverins
08-03-2005, 01:50 PM
you won't be able to get real manual for Vue5.

(that's from what I understood)

I snuck a look at the e-onsoftware.com website, and apparently they sell the manual seperately regardless (requiring a serial # to verify that you actually own the software) of what version you buy.

Gaze
08-03-2005, 02:03 PM
I suppose if the hardcopy manual is not something I'm likely to come across cheaper in the future, I'll go ahead and get that now. Nice to have anyway.

Inside LW by Ablan...will also try to get that on my shelf.

As for VUE...I don't have much info on that. I'm off to read up whatever I can gather. Any description you guys can offer would be appreciated.

I don't have a company...I'm looking to tinker. In the next several months I'll be revamping a house or two and have always had an interest in what you guys do with rendering. Wow :cool:

Lightwolf
08-03-2005, 02:08 PM
I always get the hard copy manual, at least one copy. I've gone through all of them since 4.0 and I find it makes sense (if you take the time to read them). You very likely to find something you'd otherwise not see, even if you specificaly look for it.
But then again, I can be such a nerd ;)

Cheers,
Mike

hrgiger
08-03-2005, 02:46 PM
I just wanted to know that I could at least get a pdf manual for Vue5. Do you mean to tell me, I would have to pay for that too?

art
08-03-2005, 02:52 PM
I just wanted to know that I could at least get a pdf manual for Vue5. Do you mean to tell me, I would have to pay for that too?
I'd like to know that too. Also I'd like to know what is included on the vue extra cd, in case we (8 to 9 upgraders) do not get the extras.

art
08-05-2005, 08:47 AM
Hrgiger, do you have any new info on this?

wacom
08-05-2005, 10:33 AM
I suppose if the hardcopy manual is not something I'm likely to come across cheaper in the future, I'll go ahead and get that now. Nice to have anyway.

Inside LW by Ablan...will also try to get that on my shelf.

As for VUE...I don't have much info on that. I'm off to read up whatever I can gather. Any description you guys can offer would be appreciated.

I don't have a company...I'm looking to tinker. In the next several months I'll be revamping a house or two and have always had an interest in what you guys do with rendering. Wow :cool:

I'd go the electronic upgrade way and use the money you save on Fprime- if you're a veteran of 3D then this isn't such a HUGE deal, but if you're starting out FPrime will make texturing and lighting 10X easier to learn and understand. C4D and XSI have similar previewers (XSI comes with one), but none are quite as fast as FPrime for previewing complex scenes with radiosity...

Just my 2cents

www.worley.com

Oh and metal ray is NOT for the light hearted, and many have stated that it sucks when working on Arch Viz.

hrgiger
08-05-2005, 10:35 AM
No, I haven't found anything out. I was surfing on their website earlier but did not see a contact email to address a question to. I'll probably wait until my Vue 5 gets here next week and go from there....

mattclary
08-05-2005, 11:03 AM
I'll be really surprised if it doesn't come with a pdf manual. I bought the cheapo version 4 download version a while back. About the only thing I really felt I "needed" to read about was that weird ***** nodal shader thing. I think it might be really potent if you can wrap your head around it. That is one thing I really like about LW, the surface editor.

Zach
08-05-2005, 11:04 AM
Gaze, just remember, if you get Inside LW 8, make sure you have a sturdy bookshelf, because it's like a 200 lbs book, 3 ft thick!

I had every Inside LW book since 5.5/5.6(?) and i had to reinforce my floor. I eventually moved into a basement where I didn't have to worry about it going through the cement!

Gaze
08-05-2005, 12:01 PM
Gaze, just remember, if you get Inside LW 8, make sure you have a sturdy bookshelf, because it's like a 200 lbs book, 3 ft thick!

I had every Inside LW book since 5.5/5.6(?) and i had to reinforce my floor. I eventually moved into a basement where I didn't have to worry about it going through the cement! :agree: That is something to think about. I'm already pretty loaded down with ref matls (non-LW) as it is.

Welp, before hitting the 'Buy' button, I visited Siggraph yesterday to scope things out. Show pricing was same as here online (for LW at least). Other companies had "show deals". Not much typically. SketchUp was $50 off, for example.
BTW, NewTek seemed a very likable bunch (although they never picked my name from the freebie jar) :foreheads Man, that free LW license would have been timely. Or even a book.

Anyway, not sure if it'd be cool to post the online deal I'm about to lock in on. It has a bit more goodies...for le$$. Was going to post the link to get opinions, but thought I'd ask first.

Gaze
08-05-2005, 12:49 PM
Regarding Vue 5: They've run out of stock and are now on backorder.

Signal to Noise
08-05-2005, 01:06 PM
Regarding Vue 5: They've run out of stock and are now on backorder.

:eek: Uh-oh!

Methinks my Vue 5 won't be arriving as quickly as I thought... :(