PDA

View Full Version : Hub is more trouble than it's worth

Mebek
08-02-2005, 11:36 AM
I find that having the Hub active causes more problems than anything else. Objects disappearing, textures not rendering correctly, and dynamics not keeping their motion files - they are all fixed once I disable the Hub.

Just upgraded to 8.3 at work, and it's still doing these little things. It's just not worth the trouble. I'm more comfortable closing Layout if I need to tweak a model, then closing Modeler and re-opening Layout.

Does anyone actually use this little imp?

toby
08-02-2005, 12:02 PM
I haven't used it for years, and I still prefer the workflow to integrated modeling/animating programs. I recommend that everyone who has constant problems try turning it off, and hot-key the "Replace with object file" command to update your models quickly/easily.

Of course there are a few tasks that really need the hub, like rigging. But with LW 9.0 coming out with expanded tools in layout, maybe this will become less of a problem.

toonafish
08-02-2005, 03:27 PM
I find that having the Hub active causes more problems than anything else. Objects disappearing, textures not rendering correctly, and dynamics not keeping their motion files - they are all fixed once I disable the Hub.

Just upgraded to 8.3 at work, and it's still doing these little things. It's just not worth the trouble. I'm more comfortable closing Layout if I need to tweak a model, then closing Modeler and re-opening Layout.

Does anyone actually use this little imp?

You can start Layout and Modeler without the hub if you add " -0" (no quotes) to the shortcut after the path to the exe in the target line. This way you don't have to close modeler when you open layout and vice versa. Unless you need the auto save features of the Hub that is.

JML
08-02-2005, 03:41 PM
no problem here with the HUB,
I used to have problems with HUB from LW 7.5 but in 8 , I never had any problem.

toonafish
08-02-2005, 03:52 PM
no problem here with the HUB,
I used to have problems with HUB from LW 7.5 but in 8 , I never had any problem.

it's all voodoo ;-)

toby
08-02-2005, 09:03 PM
You can start Layout and Modeler without the hub if you add " -0" (no quotes) to the shortcut after the path to the exe in the target line. This way you don't have to close modeler when you open layout and vice versa. Unless you need the auto save features of the Hub that is.

Even easier, just pull it out of the programs folder -

Mebek
08-22-2005, 11:43 AM
I've been running LW with the "-0" command ever since version 6.0 (I think when the Hub was first introduced). I've never liked having it run. Like I said, it's simply more trouble than it's worth.

ned
08-22-2005, 03:12 PM
Been running LW from version 6-something thru 8.3 on Dell PCs including student use with 150 students over a 4 year period and can honestly say that no one has even had a problem with the hub.

riki
08-22-2005, 07:36 PM
mmm no problems here it seems to work okay.