PDA

View Full Version : Modeler symmetry groups

Castius
04-29-2003, 12:16 PM
Take symmetry to a new level. Allow us to make symmetry axis where ever and any angle. And be able to assign them to points sets or parts.
Example: Your making a old car with round headlights. You model the head light in the center with symmetry and you move it to the correct spot on the car. You can no longer work on that light properly without moving it back to the center.
If you could add symmetry that was assigned to the points of the light that moved with it you could keep working on the light where ever you wanted.

Valter
04-29-2003, 04:33 PM
Virtual Mirror

Castius
04-29-2003, 05:08 PM
You bring up an interesting point. Virtual mirror from what I understand is being asked for three reasons speed, fixing the issue to corrupted symmetry, and make sure every tools works. Very important points of interest, but by using VM you also loose features like editable data in the other half as if you where to mirror in layout. But it's hard choice to make. For me at least I'd hate to see Virtual mirror added, and see symmetry not improved. Where improving symmetry could be updated to resolve the issues you are having.
So as I see it's better to ask for certain issues to be fixed and let Newtek decide how to best approach them. So I should have left out the sentence about updating symmetry and just stated my feature I wanted added.

Valter
04-29-2003, 05:59 PM
Hi castius

I think that VM is not be a substitute for default LW symmetry. But a new feature to lw.
If you want edit data in the other half. Just freeze virtual mirror tools and make alterations.

lw with Virtual Mirror and default symmetry improved will be great.

Later

Castius
04-29-2003, 06:14 PM
Sure and once you freeze the VM and you need to edit your left with using symmetry. So why should there be two plugins that basically does the same thing. My point was maybe we all need to focus on describing the things we want in better detail and let them work out how it's done.

Valter
04-29-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Castius
... but by using VM you also loose features like editable data in the other half as if you where to mirror in layout.

hmmm??

well If you want make right side different of other left side of object. You will need freeze it.

but if you want just edit the other half. you can do it!! Any side chosen of model to edit was enable to works with perfect symmetry.

in XSI you have create a clone of object, set strecht to -1 in the clone and edit on original object to change the clone. But Virtual mirror is not this way.

Castius
04-30-2003, 11:06 AM
This many people viewing and and we have 3 votes one being mine! Thats pretty bad concidering how many people are looking farward to lw 8.

Valter
04-30-2003, 03:51 PM
heheh
really

many lw user don't have know about problems of lw symmetry and others don't have know about virtual Mirror.

and some that have know about both don't modeling high detail objects, then not care about problem of lw symetry. :)

is very funny :D

Lamont
05-01-2003, 05:41 PM
many lw user don't have know about problems of lw symmetry and others don't have know about virtual Mirror. Maybe we've already talked about it? ^_^!!

I know what yer talking about, virtual would be great. Also to be able to set the axis (already asked for).

You say freeze, it sounds like something that would require a modifiyer stack or a history.