PDA

View Full Version : Siggie video clips...

maxxwv
08-02-2005, 07:30 AM
Given the announcement that video clips from siggraph will be downloadable and on NewTek TV, I'm a bit confused. Does this mean we'll get live streams from the booth as well as downloadable version? Or are all the streams going to be delayed and posted as downloads and channels on NewTek tv at the same time? And if we're going to be treated to a live feed, when does that stuff start? I wanna see 8.5 and 9 in action, dern it! :lightwave

Weetos
08-02-2005, 07:40 AM
No live stream this year, man
videos will be available as downloadable files and from NT TV. Now the question is When?

me too wants to see 8.5 and 9 (hope they have something to show about it) in action !!!

Go :lwicon: !

maxxwv
08-02-2005, 07:53 AM
arrgh! They release that feature list then expect us to wait patiently? NOOOO!!!!! :cry:

Ah, well. guess we gotta do what we gotta do - obviously the team is busting butt over there, so give 'em a little amusement by keeping those of us unfortunate enough not to be there waiting...

But a short wait would be preferable. :D

beverins
08-02-2005, 07:58 AM
I would expect that the clips they offer for download will be edited for time and size, and probably a day later. I'm hitting the pages myself in the hopes that I'm wrong, but I have a feeling that they will not post anything before tomorrow.

We shall see.

I think its a miserable decision to not go live, but I said in another thread that I'll wait and see before I start my moaning. I hope they live up to the promise.

That they failed to install LW in the Studio (I hope this has since been rectified) shows me they had a hard plane ride and are running behind schedule tremendously, and as such posting the videos are definetely a back burner priority at this point.

maxxwv
08-02-2005, 08:34 AM
Absolutely - and flying into LAX is not fun (for me anyway, but then I hate flying...). So, basically I'm not moaning and I do realize that NT has more pressing matter right now. I'm just impatient and wanna see the new toys! (I'm like a five year old.. :D ). Of course, I'll keep hitting NewTekTV all day just to see if maybe they will be streaming something... It's about 7:30am cali time right now - floor opens at 9:00am, right?

beverins
08-02-2005, 08:59 AM
Last I was there - yup, 9 or 10am.

Brian Arndt
08-02-2005, 09:01 AM
SIGGRAPH doesnt actually start till today, but we will be editing them for time and size of course and then they will be on NewTek TV and downloadable/streamable on the SIGGRAPH page as well

maxxwv
08-02-2005, 09:54 AM
Excellent! Thanks for the definite info! In the meantime - anyone that's actually there, please let us poor non-attendees know what's happening please.. pretty please? :o

beverins
08-02-2005, 10:07 AM
I wait with salivating mouth.

::mops up keyboard::

No, you didn't see that.

Auger
08-02-2005, 11:29 AM
Hey Brian,
Any idea when (approx.) the first clip will be posted? I'm having trouble working as I keep checking the website for clips. :grumpy:

beverins
08-02-2005, 03:35 PM
I guess I'm going to be able to add to my post count here, waiting with bated breath... hehe

So sue me, I guess my life is so sad that I actually look forward to this like Christmas, ever since Newtek started this tradition. :hat:

beverins
08-02-2005, 04:36 PM
Stupid question, but which page am I supposed to be hitting refresh on every 30 seconds... is it the newtek.tv page or this page http://www.newtek.com/shows/siggraph/2005/2005.php ?

Just wondering. :hat:

beverins
08-02-2005, 07:51 PM
I guess the guys are too busy at the LW Party to edit / upload the videos. I certainly wouldn't want that job after the party... the VT4 looks complicated enough, I can imagine what it must seem after you have bags under your eyes and the room is spinning from sheer fatigue... setting up the show booth, doing your show for 8 hours, then some time inbetween for dinner and a shower, and then have to set up for the party at the disney hotel, then 3 hours of paaarty (even if you don't drink alcohol) will surely do anyone in. Now y'all have to edit 8 hours of captured footage into WMV and then upload it. By that time it is 3am and you have to wake up at 8am and start the whole thing over again....

You guys suuuure you don't want to do a live stream...? ;) ;) ;) heh heh

archiea
08-02-2005, 08:23 PM
Stupid question, but which page am I supposed to be hitting refresh on every 30 seconds... is it the newtek.tv page or this page http://www.newtek.com/shows/siggraph/2005/2005.php ?

Just wondering. :hat:

Go to newtekTV.com for the stream. Funny that there isn;t a link to this from your above URL.

GCL
08-02-2005, 08:29 PM
What you see on NewtekTV (now) is your typical "reels" from users and Newtek. It is not associated to SIG05. That is, nothing is there from today's show (as far as I could tell). I think it will be forthcoming in the next few days.

archiea
08-02-2005, 08:31 PM
What you see on NewtekTV (now) is your typical "reels" from users and Newtek. It is not associated to SIG05. That is, nothing is there from today's show (as far as I could tell). I think it will be forthcoming in the next few days.

I caught the last bit just before..it may have been a live feed, and then at around 6pm it stop.. pretty much quitting time at Siggy.... I was hoping that they would loop the demos from earlier, but lets see... party or reassemble video feed.. hmmmm :tongue:

Weetos
08-03-2005, 01:19 AM
lets see... party or reassemble video feed.. hmmmm :tongue:

hmmmm I really don't know ... ;)

beverins
08-03-2005, 07:30 AM
Just wondering what they were showing if it indeed was live. Would have been nice of them to tell us they were going to stream live for a bit.

What I don't understand about this live streaming business is why didn't they do the streaming from Newtek? i.e. have the Los Angeles Tricaster (I assume that's what they're using) on a private IP that only Newtek knows, and a Tricaster in San Antonio connects to that. Then, have another Tricaster (or the same one) play that stream to a "public" mms://address that they publish on this website. That way, the bandwidth difficulties from hitting the Los Angeles unit directly might be solved.

I know I moan about this, but I really loved the LIVE stream - the feeling that it was happening NOW, and that Newtek was able to bring it to me. That your Tricaster is broadcasting the same stuff 24/7 is all well and good, but its not being hit by thousands of people at once. Live stuff will do that. And its through live stuff that you show your mettle, show what your machine is capable of, show that you're not just full of hot air. You showed it to us for 3 years now, why give up now for the sake of giving us downloadable clips that have been sanitized for our protection... edited for time? To be honest, by the end of Siggy, I would have liked to have seen 24 HOURS (yes, that's right, HOURS. 8 x 3days) of footage. Not little 10 minute bites of the interviews. The whole **** thing. All the mistakes, all the goofs, all the times the product crashed. All the times that Proton shows the same demo.

*shrug*

So far, very disappointing. I'm starting to expect that I'm not actually going to see any video until the guys return home, edit the footage and then post it up in dribs and drabs over the next few months. Prove me wrong, fellahs. Make me eat my words. Comon, I dare ya. :D

Weetos
08-03-2005, 08:03 AM
I would have liked to have seen 24 HOURS (yes, that's right, HOURS. 8 x 3days) of footage. Not little 10 minute bites of the interviews. The whole **** thing. All the mistakes, all the goofs, all the times the product crashed. All the times that Proton shows the same demo.
<...>
So far, very disappointing. I'm starting to expect that I'm not actually going to see any video until the guys return home, edit the footage and then post it up in dribs and drabs over the next few months. Prove me wrong, fellahs. Make me eat my words. Comon, I dare ya. :D

I'm afraid what you supposed is right :( I thought we could have had some videos today (at least one) but it's not going to happen, I guess we will have to wait for them to go back home.

Matt
08-03-2005, 08:10 AM
Brian!

When they're ready, any chance of encoding the streams using Quicktime 7 and H.264?

Cheers
Matt

Brian Arndt
08-03-2005, 08:17 AM
they will probably be .wmv format again sorry :( its just all around easier for us. They will be downloadable and streamable on the SIGGRAPH 2005 page and also in the rotation on NewTek TV. Im hoping to get some booth pictures up today.

As far as the videos go, we have a guy recording everything. Just have to wait for him to send them to us, we chop em and get em up.

Ill try and remember to come to this post and post when the first batch is up.

Brian Arndt
08-03-2005, 08:21 AM
Here is a shot sent to me of the first day. Little preview on the booth :thumbsup:

Auger
08-03-2005, 08:31 AM
As far as the videos go, we have a guy recording everything. Just have to wait for him to send them to us, we chop em and get em up.

Brian,
Do you have an ETA on when the video guy is supposed to upload them to you? :confused:

Thanks.

Brian Arndt
08-03-2005, 08:43 AM
hopefully ill find out something today, but i cant promise anything. I was under the assumption though we would get it the day after the filming.

Gui Lo
08-03-2005, 08:54 AM
Yeh, I feel the frustration.
NT release a feature list we've been waiting for for a loooong time and now we have to wait to see it when in the past we got the vids live.

NT wanted to make life easier to the worldwide community but this is painful.

IMHO they should edit the vids on a second Toaster and then upload it to NT Europe and let them put it up on the server. From there the rest of the world can get to it quickly.

:(

Gui Lo

Gui Lo
08-03-2005, 08:59 AM
Is the design new?

I mean it looks like they are using some spare LW[6] stuff.

devin
08-03-2005, 09:28 AM
Has anyone even seen any reports from attending users on the forums and their thoughts about 9? I assumed at least someone would chime in with their initial take on the preview. I'm anxious like the rest. If I'd known it would be such a stellar year for news/releases... :bangwall:

beverins
08-03-2005, 09:30 AM
I dunno if this is off topic, but there's some goodies here
http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7523

delete or move if deemed inappropriate for thie thread...

Matt
08-03-2005, 12:31 PM
.WMV :(

H.264 is sooooooo much nicer!

Oh well, maybe next time eh!

parm
08-03-2005, 01:37 PM
I dunno if this is off topic, but there's some goodies here
http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7523

delete or move if deemed inappropriate for thie thread...

At last some titbits, thanks beverins. You might want to skip straight to page 3.

Parm

beverins
08-03-2005, 03:01 PM
They placed the stream up on Newtek.tv not long ago - watching avidly!

monovich
08-03-2005, 03:10 PM
I just went down to Siggraph today to check out the showroom floor. I'm only 15 minutes away, so it was a quick drive. I used the free Newtek exhibits only pass to get in, and it was very convenient.

I found the newtek booth right away and was pretty impressed by it's scale, it's centerally located and clustered to the other big vendors (Apple, Maya, 3d Studio Max, Zbrush, Nvidia, and all the rest). It seems the more bit players were around the edges of the convention hall. I don't know what you guys think of the LW9 website, but I'm not a huge fan (too overdone). The newtek booth used the same graphics. All the staff were wearing matching fire shirts, too. One one side of the exhibit, they had a large demo screen where they did the LW demos, on the other side they had about 5 work stations running LW. The workstations were running custom builds of 8.5, and I think they were for the public to use, but guys from DAVE School were "hogging" all the computers working on who-knows-what. I was disappointed not to be able to get in and try 8.5 out myself, but they didn't look like they wanted to be bothered. Not good PR in my opinion. I don't understand why people need to go to the Siggraph show floor to model spaceship engines and such.

Anyway, on the other side they were giving LW9 demos on the big screen every 30 minutes or so, so I caught two demos while I was there. The demos were pretty basic, but effective. There was a consistent crowd filling most of the seats and gathered around the periphery, which I think was a good sign. the features they were showing looked very cool.
The micro-displacement looked VERY cool, but I'm worried it won't work with Fprime because you couldn't see the effects of it until you hit F9. Hmm...
The Nodal stuff looked very cool, but it was a very basic demo of putting a procedural texture onto the logo, so it didn't exactly drop any jaws.
The real time hardware shading was very nice. thumbs up on that! Now you won't get those nasty polygon jaggies on quads and tris when using soft edges on spotlights and stuff. it all previews correctly. finally! The real time texturing was quite nice also, and mathed up to the real render quite well in the example.
I didn't get to see much of the modeling in layout, that's the one thing I kept missing. bummer.
Actually, I didn't get to see any of the modeler enhancements like n-gons and edges and such.
I did see that you can now modify your weight maps in layout, which will be very useful for you character animators I imagine.
They also demoed VUE working with LW. They said that you will be able to render VUE content from LW natively by the end of the year. Let's hope so! I think it can already be done in Max or Maya or something
I may have seen some other stuff, but I forget.

At the booths for the other 3d packages, the crowds seemed bigger most of the time, but that didn't surprise me, because packages like maya have a larger user base.

The Newtek demo reel played on the screen at the booth between shows, and the montage was very impressive. they had a lot of nice shots on there ranging from the Citroen commercial, to Sin City, to Battlestar Gallactica, to the Scion ads (very cool) and other things. I think it represented LW's abilites in a way that the sales people wouldn't be able to do on their own.

all in all things were cool. There was tons of new tech shown at the other booths, and some of it was pretty exciting and jaw dropping (realtime dynamics, realtime mocap, realtime HDRI, HDRI monitors, etc).

That's about it, I came back ready to put the tools I already have at my disposal to work, because being around that much cool stuff makes you want to do cool stuff.

-Steve

KillMe
08-03-2005, 03:35 PM
hmmmmmmm the newtek tv "siggraph" vids well i saw no evidence of siggraph at all tis just demo reel and some sales pitches taht lightwave is fast and great - not that i disagree or anything but i wanted to see the new stuff the demos etc =/

Gaze
08-03-2005, 04:08 PM
I just went down to Siggraph today... I used the free Newtek exhibits only pass to get in, and it was very convenient.

-SteveHow might one go about getting a "free Newtek exhibits only pass to get in..."? Any details you can pass on? Thanks :thumbsup:

beverins
08-03-2005, 04:10 PM
Well, I hope that this 26 minute "siggraph footage" is supplemented soon by hours of more stuff... but its a start...

I think they need to edit out the tricaster ad, though. Or just make the whole thing longer. What happaned to the VideoToaster, eh? VT4.5 came out - no ads about that...

Brian Arndt
08-03-2005, 04:15 PM
Gaze, go to SIGGRAPH 05 (http://www.newtek.com/shows/siggraph/2005/index.php) and look at the news at the bottom and it tells you how to get the free passes.

They were handing that DVD out at SIGGRAPH with the clips from different commercials/movies/shows, i will have most of it downloadable on the website soon, but for now you can watch them all on NewTek TV (http://www.newtektv.com).

As for the videos of actual SIGGRAPH, we are waiting for them to arrive so i can put them up on the site and put them in NewTek TV's rotation. There was a confusion that set them back so they didnt arrive when they should have but by tomorrow hopefully we will have the first (and second maybe) batch!

Gaze
08-03-2005, 05:36 PM
Gaze, go to SIGGRAPH 05 (http://www.newtek.com/shows/siggraph/2005/index.php) and look at the news at the bottom and it tells you how to get the free passes. Good deal...thanks:thumbsup:
About 90 min. away.

iFX
08-03-2005, 08:38 PM
Typical... after years of downloading 100s of MB of saved video streams over a dial up connection and dreaming of the day when I'll have a broadband connection to view the live streams... I finally get broadband, and what happens? no more live streams... DOH! :cry:

I can't believe it... for the first time I have a decent connection - 1.5Mb

Was sooo looking forward to sig2k5...

Oh well... at least I'll get more work done ;)

So stoked about the lightwave upgrade!!! I've already been contacting newmagic to find out when we can order it here in Oz :thumbsup: :I_Love_Ne

I've got my credit card ready to go :phone_cal

Intuition
08-03-2005, 11:45 PM
I was just watching the stream on newtek.tv and saw our EdenFX stuff showcased.

Thanks to Newtek for the great software, as John Gross states and I have numerous times in this forum, as Lightwave has certainly given me the opportunity to be creative in ways I didn't think I'd ever have as a kid.

:D

Lightwolf
08-04-2005, 04:38 AM
They were handing that DVD out at SIGGRAPH with the clips from different commercials/movies/shows, i will have most of it downloadable on the website soon, but for now you can watch them all on NewTek TV (http://www.newtektv.com).
Hey, you guys should know this, but de-interlacing the footage on NewtekTV would really help if you stream on the internet (sorry for sounding like a smart arse).
Even dropping every other field would really increase the quality of the stream.

Cheers,
Mike - watching anyhow :D

beverins
08-04-2005, 08:28 AM
I told ya... no videos till the guys get back. As I predicted. OK, so they have the demo reel, which I very much appreciate. My friend over there is telling me all this cool stuff with LW 9 in ACTION.... but naught here.

Sorry to be like this; you guys at Newtek are trying, and streaming costs money - I appreciate the candor there. *shrug*. Sometimes being honest with your audience pays more dividends then trying to play it off like what it says on your webpage there for the Siggraph 05 clips.

I see that I'm not the only person on this board who really was WAITING for this 3 day event. Guess we will have to continue waiting. I suppose no good whining here (and yes, I admit that is what I am doing) when everyone who is in charge is in LA... Oh well. Thanks for trying anyway, I'm a hopeless Newtek fanboy, and I guess always will be LOL

Nu Visual Scien
08-04-2005, 09:56 AM
Yeah shame they cant actually do what they said eh :(

badllarma
08-04-2005, 02:42 PM
So two days of the same show reels on NewtekTV Great :rolleyes:

Yup the reels are very impressive done by some of the best fx companies on the planet BUT you have an advertisment for "Turn it On Engage the World" running at the side of NewtekTV and basically your engaging nowt. :thumbsdow

We get a press release for one of the biggest possibly the best :thumbsup: Upgrades for a long time and your showing us nothing as yet.

I'm in the UK I and maybe others over here look forward to this as it gives us a little toe in the water of Siggraph and this year no streams means no taste of the show and of course the videos of the event are late....................no supprise there then :rolleyes:

Come guys I want to see the product. You want me to invest my money and MUCH MORE important I have to invest my TIME in learning before I make a return on my investment.

Let see what 9.0 has on the table for us. Soon hopefully :thumbsup:

BTW this may see like I'm whining, which I am, but it's a positive whine. You never know I may be there next year depending if any one in LA knows how to serve a decent pint of Bitter :D

beverins
08-04-2005, 03:11 PM
Well, next year, it will be a bit closer to the UK - Siggy will be in Boston. MUCH MUCH easier for me, since I'm in NYC... they have buses in Chinatown that cost about $20 or so, and go to Boston all the time. I can easily commute. I suppose for more money I can even take an Amtrak bullet train or whatever they have available (not wasting money on an airplane ride LOL).

I have half a mind to save up, buy a Tricaster and stream the bloody show myself next year. ;) Of course, I'd have to get a press badge I suppose. :hat:

Hmm... either live with a tape delay of, oh 8 hours... or somehow take advantage of the Tricaster's ability to snag computer displays over the network and transmit a webcam image through a laptop over wifi to a landline, to upload to the tricaster, which the tricaster then streams... That would be a fantastic 4 frames a second I wager! hahah Make myself the exhibit, maybe that gets me a free "press badge" hmm...

Just being sarcastic folks, never mind me.

lw3d23
08-04-2005, 03:27 PM
I have been waiting the video from newtek as well as the video from LUXOLOGY for almost 3 days. But I have seen nothing yet let's see which one will WIN the first prize :D Newtek GO,GO,GO, I bet on you...

richcz3
08-04-2005, 05:42 PM
Who ok'd this delayed video plan. Off with his head. :mad:

Auger
08-04-2005, 07:24 PM
On NewtekTV, they're trying to play some of the Proton stuff now,but it is pretty much non-watchable for me. I'm on a hi-speed connection. :grumpy:

I take that back. Working fine now!

GCL
08-04-2005, 07:33 PM
Same here, keeps looping back on itself, non-watchable.
You know, even when they were streaming on bad days, it was better than now watching. I guess all good things come to an end.

:(

T-Light
08-04-2005, 07:41 PM
Haven't had a couple of seconds of continuous footage now for over twenty minutes. :(

Auger
08-04-2005, 07:53 PM
Mine's playing perfectly now. I just hope they start showing some of the new LW9 features.

T-Light
08-04-2005, 07:57 PM
Mine's playing perfectly now - Auger

Snap :thumbsup:

Shut down the browser and went back in, it worked. I've only seen interviews so far, but Proton just said they were getting Andy Bishop up to show LW9, hope they haven't cut it out.

OH WOW, here we go, it's on now.

Auger
08-04-2005, 07:58 PM
They are now about to show the new features. :beerchug:

phrick
08-04-2005, 08:13 PM
Judging from the videos.. Lightwave 9 is going to be quite sweeet! :hey:

T-Light
08-04-2005, 08:21 PM
Judging from the videos.. Lightwave 9 is going to be quite sweeet!

That's an underestimate. :D

Meaty
08-04-2005, 08:25 PM
word from the video, LW9 will be out in the october/november timeframe, and 8.5 will be out after siggraph.