PDA

View Full Version : LW9 File Format

Vincenzo
08-01-2005, 08:07 PM
Hello Newtek;

I was thinking of writing an importer that would take LWO s and create DX vertexbuffers from them. I was wondering if there will be substantial changes in the LWO format for LW9 and if so will these changes be in additional chunks or will it modify current chunks.

Thanks Vincenzo.

tjacobs
08-01-2005, 08:14 PM
I am about half way through writing a custom importer of the LW8 file format. Any information would be helpful. That way I can put off the importer code, and work on other features.

Karmacop
08-01-2005, 08:26 PM
I would think the file format would be fairly similar. Even if they are different I'm sure you can count on the same chunks being there.

Silkrooster
08-01-2005, 09:19 PM
I would think they would try to keep it as backward compatable as possible. Could you even imagine how end users would feel, if they upgraded and all their hard work would not load into the new lightwave. No, I don't think Newtek would do that to its loyal users. They would at least provide some kind of conversion process.
So any work you do with the version 8 file format should work fine in 9. The advantage of waiting for 9's file format may be an advanced feature set to work with. Then the question becomes how many will upgrade?
Silk

tjacobs
08-01-2005, 10:26 PM
I for one will upgrade...it is just a matter of when the upgrade (9.0) comes out.

Silkrooster
08-01-2005, 10:30 PM
I just got done ordering it. I can't refuse the vue offer.
Silk