PDA

View Full Version : Not good!! Lightwave is NOT installed on ANY of the machines at Siggraph's Studio!

beverins
08-01-2005, 01:49 PM
Just a quick note to the Newtek people over at Siggraph - y'all might want to jog down to the Siggraph Studio and install Lightwave on those machines in the Siggraph Studio right away. I will cut and paste a letter I got from someone visiting there; she uses Lightwave almost exclusively, and was severely disappointed!

-------------------------
If you get on the LW boards do complain that they don't have LW installed on any of the 3D/RP or animation workstations at the Sig Studio and they should get someone over there to install LW ASAP. This is very bad since every machine is setup with every major piece of 3D software except for LW. And they used to always have LW, and there would be lots of people using it, which was great free advertising for Newtek. But not this year.
---------------------------

Anyone in Los Angeles who's reading this.... hop in a taxi with a CDROM and get to it, guys! Flashy promos are all great in the expo show floor, but hands on studio experience is advertising at its best!

beverins
08-01-2005, 02:00 PM
time's a wastin'! (just bumping to the top again)

Oh well, everyone's listening to George Lucas at this exact moment. May the force be with you and all that.

mav3rick
08-01-2005, 02:05 PM
i dont care i look for lw booth . that's where the fun part begin

beverins
08-01-2005, 02:16 PM
but in the studio, you can actually USE the software - print your 3D stuff out using a Rapid Prototyping machine... show the Maya people and XSI people they're full of hot air, etc. ^_^

Well, you could, if LW were actually installed there.

beverins
08-01-2005, 04:15 PM
An update from my friend at Siggraph:
-----------------------------------------

As for LW, apparently its here, but nobody has bothered to install it. Once again, Newtek better get someone over to install it before tomorrow when the throngs show up. You have 3D workstations running Maya, Max and XSI in the Studio and no LW, very bad PR.

Comon, guys. Someone give Proton's celphone a buzz or somethin' :-D

archiea
08-01-2005, 04:39 PM
i dont care i look for lw booth . that's where the fun part begin

At the expense of being banned for seemingly flaming someone.. thats a fawking stupid answer, man.. And i'm not saying that to flame you, Mav, its just shortsighted. LW should be at the siggy studio.. at the apple booth, at the boxx booth...

I never understood the wisdom of selling LW to LW users.. its like NT need to be worshipped or something... The PR thing has always been their weak spot...

Can anyone say.. Discovery edition?

Zafar Iqbal
08-01-2005, 07:29 PM
I agree with beverins and archiea - NT needs to exploit every chance they can get.

Don't underestimate the powaaaaah of the PR (vader_pr.wav)

mav3rick
08-02-2005, 12:46 AM
hey archie :) good for u havin fun answering me!
keep up the party!
u're godlike

Brian Arndt
08-02-2005, 08:15 AM
An update from my friend at Siggraph:

As for LW, apparently its here, but nobody has bothered to install it. Once again, Newtek better get someone over to install it before tomorrow when the throngs show up. You have 3D workstations running Maya, Max and XSI in the Studio and no LW, very bad PR.

Comon, guys. Someone give Proton's celphone a buzz or somethin' :-D

LightWave is installed on multiple machines that they took with them to SIGGRAPH so im not sure what you are talking about? Did you friend check the FULL booth? behind the main stage is a row of computers.

beverins
08-02-2005, 08:23 AM
I'm not talking about the Booth in the Expo.

I'm talking about the Siggraph Studio, where there are RP machines and suchlike. Is LW installed there? My friend asked the proctors who are there to assist, and they said there was no LW. She looked on any unoccupied machine, and nothing.

If it is installed there, then you might want to inform the proctors at the Siggraph Studio on which machines it is installed.

Chuck
08-02-2005, 09:06 AM
We have always participated in the Guerilla Studio, and our plans were to participate this year - if we're not there, then there has been an oversight, and we'll get it corrected.

beverins
08-02-2005, 09:15 AM
Outstanding! ::bows::

Well, then you can feel free to delete this thread if you wish, I won't mind.

Chuck
08-02-2005, 09:38 AM
Actually I've just done some browsing around on other forums and have seen a report of someone using LightWave while in the Guerilla Studio - so it's there, maybe just not on all the machines. I've also left some voicemails for our staff onsite at SIGGRAPH to look into this. (I'm here in San Antonio holding down the fort.)

beverins
08-02-2005, 10:06 AM
Too bad that you had to stay back in the offices :-(

Also another tidbit from my friend there at the Guerilla Studio - she found this little trick for modeling. She had brought her LW objects to the Studio, and found while having to use Rhino, that...
". . . we figured out if I bring all my LW layers imported into Rhino, and do a Boolean Add in Rhino, then it will be a watertight or closed mesh for RP."

She's a big RP fan, and she enjoys working with Modeler much more than any other modeling package, hence her dismay at not being able to find a station with LW installed... :-)

I dunno if her discovery is well known or not, just letting ya know. Thanks much, sorry for the "impending disaster" type of headline.

Chuck
08-02-2005, 02:27 PM
That would be a good tip to post in a new thread here:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28

The actual situation with respect to the Guerilla Studio is that LightWave was supposed to be on all systems. All systems of a given platform were duplicated from the same drive image, but apparently there were some systems where there was a problem. The studio staff is working to get those systems fixed.

WizCraker
08-03-2005, 02:19 AM
Too bad that you had to stay back in the offices :-(

Also another tidbit from my friend there at the Guerilla Studio - she found this little trick for modeling. She had brought her LW objects to the Studio, and found while having to use Rhino, that...
". . . we figured out if I bring all my LW layers imported into Rhino, and do a Boolean Add in Rhino, then it will be a watertight or closed mesh for RP."

She's a big RP fan, and she enjoys working with Modeler much more than any other modeling package, hence her dismay at not being able to find a station with LW installed... :-)

I dunno if her discovery is well known or not, just letting ya know. Thanks much, sorry for the "impending disaster" type of headline.

What is RP?

evenflcw
08-03-2005, 02:40 AM
I'm guessing Rapid Prototyping.