PDA

View Full Version : Lw 9.0

mwh710
08-01-2005, 11:06 AM
Just heard LW 9.0 is due out soon. I'm just getting used to 8.... LOL

NigelH
08-01-2005, 11:18 AM
The list of new features looks quite impressive. I can't help thinking, however, that the whole G5 > MacIntel process will only complicate things. We can b*tch and moan about parity between mac/pc development as much as we want, but I think we'll have to cut NT a little slack in the coming months/years until the transition is complete. :grumpy:

firstsingle
08-01-2005, 03:38 PM
Can you point me to that article? I wanna see those new features.

NigelH
08-01-2005, 03:46 PM
Sure, here you go:

http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/08-01-05a.html

and for a bit more detail:

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/lw9featureprelim.php

firstsingle
08-01-2005, 04:25 PM
Hey, Thanks NeiglH.

firstsingle
08-01-2005, 04:38 PM
My God. Is this real? This seems like a whole new app in some ways.
The new dev team is worth every penny they're being paid.
Did i say MY GOD!

Johnny
08-01-2005, 07:53 PM
that seems like pretty good news, but does anyone recall talk, perhaps scuttlebutt, that the "next" version of Lightwave — meaning, at the the time, the next after version 8, was going to have some serious re-writing done on the mac side to exploit OS X and the chips it runs on?

I didn't see mention of that..I'm pulling from memory, but I recall talk like LW was going to be more native to OS X with version 9.

J

unc1e meat
08-01-2005, 08:38 PM
I'm at Siggraph and it just so happens that the exhibit opens tomorrow. I'll try to stop by the Newtek booth and ask questions about this.

Chazz
08-01-2005, 10:04 PM
I'm curious to see if this is the new XCode version, and also if we're getting the OpenGL enhancements of the PC version.

Meshbuilder
08-02-2005, 02:55 AM
I'm at Siggraph and it just so happens that the exhibit opens tomorrow. I'll try to stop by the Newtek booth and ask questions about this.

"LightWave 9.0 fully supports the Open GL 2.0 specification, leveraging the power of the latest graphics cards."

I hope it works good with computers that still running OpenGL 1.5 or else Tiger can´t run LightWave 9. Today Tiger is based on OpenGL 1.5.

unc1e meat, please ask them how they will make this work? We don't want to use the slow OpenGL that LightWave has today that doesn't get accelerated by the graphic card..

Nigel Baker
08-02-2005, 03:27 AM
Does anyone know when the 64 Bit vesion of LW will be out on the Mac?
Or will version 9 be completely 64 Bit processing?

Anyone with any insight?

Otherwise LW9 is looking fantastic.

Chazz
08-02-2005, 04:21 AM
We don't really have a 64-bit OS yet, so until that time...

Lightwolf
08-02-2005, 06:11 AM
I hope it works good with computers that still running OpenGL 1.5 or else Tiger can´t run LightWave 9. Today Tiger is based on OpenGL 1.5.
openGL is quite flexible. 2.0 is an extension of 1.5, if those extensions are not available they will simply not be used, but the app will still work and may be not support a couple of openGL features...

Cheers,
Mike

Captain Obvious
08-02-2005, 07:02 AM
Holy ****, some of those things are awesome! This is looking to be a downright fantastic upgrade, if the stability is there.

If that list is even half true, I salute the developers.

pat-lek
08-02-2005, 10:22 AM
I hope LW 9 will coming soon, and i hope, this time, i don' t find a terrific bug on my way !! (like the sélected point bug)

wacom
08-02-2005, 10:39 AM
I hope LW 9 will coming soon, and i hope, this time, i don' t find a terrific bug on my way !! (like the sélected point bug)

Well they've said that the OpenGL has been totally updated in 8.5 and 9...so we'll see but I'd say that those old graphics errors are a thing of the past.

firstsingle
08-02-2005, 01:07 PM
I just jumped on the Lightwave boat with v7.5 and I notice a huge leap forward in every area of the app. I'm very excited. This investment is paying for itself with every upgrade. We're dinning at a 5 star restaurant for wendy's prices. $395 for upgrades to v9.

unc1e meat
08-02-2005, 04:08 PM
I stopped by the booth today and a very well known LW artist showed off Lightwave 8.5 and answered questions and told me about features of version 9.0.

First of all he mentioned that they are indeed working on the xcode OSX version of LW 9.0.

He showed me how procedurals are now able to be previewed in the the viewport now with version 8.5! And we're talking multiple layers too! So I'm pretty excited about that.

Then around the corner, all day, they were demonstrating version 9.0 and things are looking good.

Johnny
08-02-2005, 04:34 PM
First of all he mentioned that they are indeed working on the xcode OSX version of LW 9.0.

I don't want to drop my ice cream cone just yet, but isn't that the kind of thing we've all been waiting/hoping for?

J

archiea
08-02-2005, 05:51 PM
The list of new features looks quite impressive. I can't help thinking, however, that the whole G5 > MacIntel process will only complicate things. We can b*tch and moan about parity between mac/pc development as much as we want, but I think we'll have to cut NT a little slack in the coming months/years until the transition is complete. :grumpy:

Actually if you think about it, in the long term it should aid companies like NT maintain parity between the versions. After the initial port, maintaining two platforms seems far easier..

NigelH
08-02-2005, 08:13 PM
Actually if you think about it, in the long term it should aid companies like NT maintain parity between the versions. After the initial port, maintaining two platforms seems far easier..

That's exactly my point. In the long term, it should be (comparatively) smooth sailing. The short term, however, getting from here to there, is probably going to be rough.

I would love to be proven wrong, though.

archiea
08-02-2005, 08:21 PM
That's exactly my point. In the long term, it should be (comparatively) smooth sailing. The short term, however, getting from here to there, is probably going to be rough.

I would love to be proven wrong, though.

Well, based on the apple keynote at the developer conference, the difficulty is based upon how much of the current app was put together with Xcode. If NT did that then it should be easier...

And when I say long term, I;m talkig about the next couple of years of mac-intel transition...