PDA

View Full Version : Quicktime

blueisland
08-01-2005, 08:48 AM
Will it ever be possible to use quicktime like other codecs with VT. It would be incredibly useful to record and edit on the timeline with quicktime. I have a client using Final CutPro but he won't use my system because he wants everthing saved in quicktime including the rushes. Any thoughts from Newtek. Is the issue a matter of money (licenses) or softwear issues?

Paul Lara
08-01-2005, 09:08 AM
There are some options that are being considered that might make adding Quicktime to the workflow a little easier.

blueisland
08-01-2005, 09:16 AM
I won't ask when and how but appreciate you guys at Newtek are thinking about this one. Thanks for the fast answer.

bradl
08-02-2005, 12:28 AM
There are some options that are being considered that might make adding Quicktime to the workflow a little easier.
That is great news! Any details on how or when, when you have them, would be nice Paul.

jport
08-02-2005, 05:44 PM
i'm not sure if your aware but FCP can import .avi files.

DV .avi plays back in realtime, uncompressed and other avi codecs have to be rendered. the only problem is that there has to be an .avi conterpart on the mac side in order for files to be rendered/converted.

unless i'm missing something is quicktime a better codec than .avi?

ScorpioProd
08-02-2005, 06:14 PM
Neither QuickTime nor AVI are actually "codecs."

jport
08-03-2005, 03:00 AM
sorry eugene, the 2 file formats are synonomous with codec for me.

anyway what does it matter with QT on FCP, by next year when the first "Intel Macs" roll out you can bet .avi file formats will be included in the new OS if not sooner.

will it mean that i'll see a VT[x] on a mac also? one could only hope.

Lightwolf
08-03-2005, 04:11 AM
anyway what does it matter with QT on FCP, by next year when the first "Intel Macs" roll out you can bet .avi file formats will be included in the new OS if not sooner.
Why? After all, QT already understands the AVI file format, but none of the more recent codecs are available on the ac side of things. Converting them from the current windows direct show architecture to QT (whether on the PC or on the Mac) will still be the same amount of work.

Cheers,
Mike

DonN
08-03-2005, 09:34 PM
QT Pro (license $30) will convert virtually anything you want to QT. And save QT to DV (avi)
So will Aura. Aura goes both to and from QT. And It's free!

Don

bradl
08-04-2005, 11:42 PM
QT Pro (license $30) will convert virtually anything you want to QT. And save QT to DV (avi)
So will Aura. Aura goes both to and from QT. And It's free!

DonJust hope you don't need audio...

jport
08-06-2005, 06:33 PM
guys i wasn't refering to converting .avi files into quicktime. i'm just saying that with the new "INTEL MAC" computers rolling out next year FCP won't have to convert .avi files.

currently i'm aware of only one .avi file format that can be imported into FCP and not require any rendering/conversion. that's a DV .avi.

i've tried other .avi formats but all of them need to be rendered on the timeline before you can get realtime playback. i don't know if this would be true if FCP had a 3rd party capture card though.

i'm being optomistic that when Apple's new INTEL MACS roll out FCP will make all .avi file formats a native part of the system, requiring NO CONVERSION to quicktime.

by the way, why buy QT pro or use Aura for conversion when VT4 does a good job of converting to QT, video and audio.

ScorpioProd
08-07-2005, 01:10 AM
But I'm not following your leap of logic here...

The CPU choice really has nothing to do with whether an operating system uses Quicktime or AVI for video files.

I can't imagine Apple ever abandoning QT, especially since QT with H.264 (AVC) support is ready to battle WMV HD (VC-1).

bradl
08-07-2005, 01:14 AM
It is QT playback that many would like to see, but QT output was a nice addition.

jport
08-07-2005, 04:05 AM
i love quicktime i don't want to see it abandoned.

i just want .avi incorporated into FCP without the hassel of rendering/converting files. i want to drop it on the timeline and not think about it. and i want FCP to be able to output a larger selection of .avi formats.

The CPU choice really has nothing to do with whether an operating system uses Quicktime or AVI for video files.

bad choice of description on my part. i wasn't referring to the CPU but the new generation of apple computers when i called them "INTEL MACs". plus i believe they may be closer to PCs, and i'm not alone in that. but then again they might be closer to an SGI. :)

Checkout these threads:
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=37553&highlight=announcement

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=37612&highlight=announcement

Lightwolf
08-07-2005, 04:54 AM
i just want .avi incorporated into FCP without the hassel of rendering/converting files. i want to drop it on the timeline and not think about it. and i want FCP to be able to output a larger selection of .avi formats.

Yes, but this is only possible if the appropriate codec is available on the Mac as well. QT does understand the AVI file structure, but if it can't decode the movie images without the codec it won't help.
And this situation ain't chaning because of Apples CPU switch... it will only change if developers provide more codecs used in AVIs to QT in OSX.

Cheers,
Mike

jport
08-07-2005, 04:40 PM
exactly!!! that's what i want.

and with the switch over i'm hoping developers are encouraged to make those changes.

and since FCP is made by apple the changes should be encorprated into the new OS.