Limbus
08-01-2005, 08:17 AM
http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/08-01-05e.html

Dodgy
08-01-2005, 08:32 AM
Jeez Louise!

kml12
08-01-2005, 08:36 AM
Nice to see NT giving a free :lwicon: 8.5 update and showing the future with :lwicon: 9 at Sigg, gotta see those vids :thumbsup:

Ade
08-01-2005, 08:37 AM
Some questions-

*Is there 100% mac support for these features?
*How stable is this new system of swapping modeller tools in layout?
*How are the edge tools compared to others?
*Was lw9 built using xcode like Newtek said earlier on?
*Are the new features intergrated into lw9 or are we going to get another plugin bonanza like lw8 was?

Looks like a new competitive price.

Dodgy
08-01-2005, 08:43 AM
# Modeling Tool Subset in Layout
# Faster OpenGL Performance
# Enhanced OpenGL Hardware Shader Support for accurate preview in real time for textures and lighting
# Faster Raytrace Rendering – up to 2.5X or better
# Adaptive Mesh subdivision based on visibility and distance to camera
# Faster Subdivision Surfaces
# Subdivision Surface modeling with n-gons
# True edge support in modeling, including edge weighting
# Enhanced MultiShift Modeling tool with reusable histories
# More flexibility and more user controls for the GUI
# Dynamics rewritten for improved precision, performance and capabilities
# Dynamics UI redesigned for easy and intuitive workflow
# Consolidation of tools for a streamlined workflow in Modeler

All of this, FANTASTIC!

# Node-based procedural shading system

Is this Visual texture or that other thing that was rumoured about?

# Relativity 2 Expressions System
Cool. Is relativity2 a graphical expression system or just text based?

# Particle surface shading system
???

# Environment instancing on surfaces
# Camera time warper for effects such as bullet time, etc.
# Hypervoxel particle surface deformer
# Surface deformation-based texture map and color controller

This looks like Tuff little unit's plugins section...

# Camera lens shader system

Maybe this too?

Lots of good stuff all in all :)

pat-lek
08-01-2005, 08:45 AM
It seem be very interresting, When is it available?

Ade
08-01-2005, 08:47 AM
Nodal base system has the power to get quicker renders we should add.

Qexit
08-01-2005, 08:49 AM
Cool. Is relativity2 a graphical expression system or just text based?Text based of course. This is Prem's expressions plugin...the one Newtek should have taken on board years ago when it was still only Relativity 1.0. Have a look over at Prem's site for details of the current version :

...er cancel that. His site just has a brief message :

"News Coming Soon"

Still pretty good news though :thumbsup:

So when is 8.5 actually going to be available for download .... is it there yet :D

Sorry, just wanted to get in first with that one ;)

riki
08-01-2005, 08:57 AM
The feeding frenzy begins :)

Limbus
08-01-2005, 08:58 AM
More features here:
http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/lw9featureprelim.php

P.S. a upgrade special with FPrime instead of Vue would be nice.

ColinCohen
08-01-2005, 09:04 AM
I'm totally floored. :)

CB_3D
08-01-2005, 09:07 AM
Whoaaah! Ok! This looks romising. Skip 8.5 and give us a niner,LOL!

Ade
08-01-2005, 09:08 AM
NEWTEK impress us and do a demo with a mac and show off its speed and parity with pc's...

Mac support will be the make or break for me and many others.
We've been patient and loyal ignoring the c4d deals.

CB_3D
08-01-2005, 09:15 AM
I was quite surprised not to read anytjhing about joint compensation control in the Character animation part,though.

That´s a big one, in my book!

prospector
08-01-2005, 09:35 AM
maby it's just a list of LW needs?

Looks like every request is in there somewhere to a degree.

Cept mine :grumpy:
Retro 5.6 text tool

But splatterpaint made it :thumbsup:

Mylenium
08-01-2005, 09:40 AM
Maybe this too?

Lots of good stuff all in all :)

Yeah. It was supposed to come out asd "Vodka" all very disappointing so far. Where others truly innovate, NT throws in a few plugins. I think it's finally time to jump ship.

Mylenium

CB_3D
08-01-2005, 09:53 AM
Yeah. It was supposed to come out asd "Vodka" all very disappointing so far. Where others truly innovate, NT throws in a few plugins. I think it's finally time to jump ship.

Mylenium

The renderer boost of x3 seems like innovation to me, as long as radiosity and caching have been fixed,too. And true edges and ngons...come on...that´s a little more than throwing 3rd party plugs. It´s a sign that the core is REALLY being opened and reworked!

Good news,and a sign that NT is competitive, as far as i am concerned. :D

Add full control over jointdeformation and FULL Fprime support (Cellshading,Lines) into this and i´ll be happy for one more year.

robinson
08-01-2005, 09:53 AM
P.S. a upgrade special with FPrime instead of Vue would be nice.

Ditto, I will wait for an update that includes Fprime, common Worley. :hey:
A Lightwave 8.x --> 9.x and DFX+ 4 --> DFX+ 5 (I guess eyeon will announce something soon) bundle would be great too. :hey:
Btw, the feature list of Lightwave 9 looks alright.

tischbein3
08-01-2005, 09:59 AM
ok, i KNOW this is a bit to soon to ask,

will the lw9 upgrade offer with vue5 included, be also aviable in europe too ?

if yes, I order it today (or asap)

:D

-NG-
08-01-2005, 10:00 AM
That list looks SO SWEET!!!

Mebek
08-01-2005, 10:00 AM
About time there was something to address the edge weighting. Now everyone can finally shut up about it! :tongue:

What ticks me off though is that I finally twisted my boss's arm into purchasing LW 8 for me, the full version with Vue 5, last week for $995. Now it's knocked down to $795. And I think that includes an upgrade to 9? This always happens when I break down and order something.

Dodgy
08-01-2005, 10:05 AM
The renderer boost of x3 seems like innovation to me, as long as radiosity and caching have been fixed,too. And true edges and ngons...come on...that´s a little more than throwing 3rd party plugs. It´s a sign that the core is REALLY being opened and reworked!

Add full control over jointdeformation and FULL Fprime support (Cellshading,Lines) into this and i´ll be happy for one more year.

I agree, this looks like more than just a few plugins. All that core code has been revamped and we're seeing the benefits of that. Imagine, renders which took 10 mins will now take 4. The renderer is CURRENTLY a separate entity ( a .dll in the programs directory!) so LW is going the way of plugin renderers.... I think Mylenium you're being overly harsh.

Adrian, I think the ability to edit vmaps and use modeller tools in layout should add joint morph control abilities.... I'd be surprised if these were animatable, but certainly avoids switching between modeler and layout.

Qexit
08-01-2005, 10:08 AM
At least there will be plenty for us to talk about on Sunday afternoon :D

JML
08-01-2005, 10:16 AM
the feature list looks very good !

I can't wait to see the special : " people who buy LW8 now, get LW 9 for free when it comes out" :)
(same offer as with LW7..)

I hope that they will work on radiosity too though...

JML
08-01-2005, 10:19 AM
LW9 - Integrated or Seperated ?

it looks like it's going to be BOTH in LW9 :)
this way , everybody is happy
smart idea.

ColinCohen
08-01-2005, 10:21 AM
A Lightwave 8.x --> 9.x and DFX+ 4 --> DFX+ 5 (I guess eyeon will announce something soon) bundle would be great too.

A second vote. :thumbsup:

Qexit
08-01-2005, 10:21 AM
Have a read through the Jay Roth article they've posted. His description of the way the renderer has been separated out and made flexible makes for interesting reading. I get the impression that every aspect of it is being enhanced, so I wouldn't worry too much about radiosity being left out.

phrick
08-01-2005, 10:28 AM
Great news. But please don't let us wait another year for 9. Get it out there fast!

Meanwhile a :beta: would be nice!

robinson
08-01-2005, 10:34 AM
Great news. But please don't let us wait another year for 9. Get it out there fast!

Meanwhile a :beta: would be nice!

I disagree, Lightwave 9 needs to be rock solid stable :)

Dodgy
08-01-2005, 10:37 AM
NO, it's out THIS year! :)

mattclary
08-01-2005, 10:39 AM
Oooooohhhhh!!!! I am sporting such a woodie! :sportingwood:

:dance:

operation
08-01-2005, 10:41 AM
I think that LW9.0 will not be available this year ... maybe 1/Q of next year(2006). It's too early.... to have a stable version.

I guess that 8.5 will be the last update. ( maybe an other update in between just in case some tools are very buggy), but 9.0 for the newyear will be a good date (january-february). If they did this "preview" announcement I hope they will not be late ( aka 8.0.... 7.5 ....... 6.0 )... 2 to 4 months late.

I wish that will keep some users ( that's my case) I was going to move on , but I I feel good about the LW future. Some major tools are missing (I will continue to send features request) but I can see that they are working seriously and they want to bring back LW at the top.

Good work ! Bravo to NT team. Thanks ! And continue to listen to the customers request.

Thanks again ! :thumbsup:

Cheers!

Operation
Mourad K.

JML
08-01-2005, 10:46 AM
I'm sure merging modeller and layout together is going to take a while, it's a pretty big operation I think..
hopefully, it will be stable once the two are merged..

I also think LW9 will come out in Q1 2006..

Karmacop
08-01-2005, 10:52 AM
Umm .. I thought they already did the merging?

cresshead
08-01-2005, 10:58 AM
well by what i've read so far i'm VERY happy....they've looked forward and sorted out some verylong standing issues with lightwave so it'll no longer seem a 'out there doing it's own thing' type of app with sep layout modeler...now we'll have whatever we want!...sep or combined!...
and ngons!...and edges!...and a new sep renderer...they've been real busy!

wasn't expecting this!...gotta huge smile going here!

newtek...your cool....very cool...you just made my fav app even more fav! :D

it's been a long road from 7.0+ to 9.0 but will be worth the wait to keep using lightwave rather than jumping on a steep learning curve on another new app
such as maya or xsi.

with modeler being in layout as well it will be a snap to camera match now, also looks as thought the modeler toolset has had a overhaul as well......

the sep renderer idea should make a Fprime 3.0, vray, kray or maxwell render simpler to implement and update.

just like to add a huge 'well done' to all the people working away hard on this new version of lightwave whilst taking such rough critisism on some forums about lightwave..must be tough to stay focused when you have a bunch of people just wanting to put down lightwave at ANY opportunity...

i find that lightwave in it's current form one of the best programs to teach 3d with...that and 3dsmax are great apps to get a good interest going for new users of 3d...i'm sure some other apps would actually put off new users with their steep learning curves or high maintainence cost [maya for example]

well done...nice to see a welcome surprise on a monday!

steve g

lw3d23
08-01-2005, 11:00 AM
the feature list looks very good !

I can't wait to see the special : " people who buy LW8 now, get LW 9 for free when it comes out" :)
(same offer as with LW7..)

I hope that they will work on radiosity too though...

And SUBSURFACE SCATTERING, please

lw3d23
08-01-2005, 11:04 AM
Umm .. I thought they already did the merging?

read this! What has been done to date? Does it seem to be working so far? (http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/lwfuturedev.php)

crpcory
08-01-2005, 11:06 AM
FPrime would be a nice and very sensible inclusion but VUE infinite, I think, is a great addition (for a program that is very useful..but for that price??). I really wanted to get a landscape, vegitation creation tool so this makes the upgrade a no brainer for me.

3x render speed increase...for animation work, this is always huge. Overhauling at the core, very promising too as this should make future improvements seem to have greater potential as well. Timewarping i think could actually prove very useful and time saving for even just tweeking animations, aside from more dramatic usage.

Personally one thing i'd love to see are some more presets, especially for dynamic components. Just some basic ones could help save a lot of time. (aside from the older cloth ones)

Overall i'd say this looks quite good.

NOW, if they would only put out a 64bit mac version, i mean design capable Macs ship STANDARD with 64 bit procs and OS (i read that said development is more difficult than for the PC but i hope they're working on it).

Keep rockin out NT

Meaty
08-01-2005, 11:21 AM
wow, LOTS of GREAT stuff. I can't wait!

Chuck
08-01-2005, 11:24 AM
What ticks me off though is that I finally twisted my boss's arm into purchasing LW 8 for me, the full version with Vue 5, last week for $995. Now it's knocked down to $795. And I think that includes an upgrade to 9?

So does yours. :)

Everyone who has purchased the LightWave/Vue bundle to date will receive LightWave v9.0 upgrade at no additional charge.

hrgiger
08-01-2005, 11:34 AM
As I said on Spinquad, this is the best news I've heard since my girlfriends pregnancy test turned up negative.

Edge weighting and Ngons. Enough said.

KillMe
08-01-2005, 11:38 AM
As I said on Spinquad, this is the best news I've heard since my girlfriends pregnancy test turned up negative.

Edge weighting and Ngons. Enough said.

lol

but yeah this is awesome - its jsut about everything i had dreamed of - but **** i want it now =) totally forgot all about 8.5

very pleased to see the consolidation of tools in modeler too that will help tidy the whole thign up and true edges and and and......... :eek: to much to take in

Pavlov
08-01-2005, 11:44 AM

Can you tell me where did you read about radiosity and caching ?
Anyway i agree, it seems NT did a great job.
Lot of thing are still missing (SP displacement in primis) but they DID the job, they got a new structure and it's exaclty what LW needed since 5.0.
I think i'll upgrade ASAP.

Paolo Zambrini

james_dmi
08-01-2005, 11:50 AM
I can’t believe how good 9 looks. N-gon sub-D's how fast will organic modeling be now we don’t have to worry about keeping everything as quads??

Node based surfacing which by the sound of it can use the current layers system within the nodes. Wow I made a similar feature request not that long ago never though I would be seeing such a fully realised implementation this soon.

Faster rendering and faster/ better OGL veiwports is going to make everyone’s life easer (and faster) and then there is everything else too this has to be the best most production focused update I have seen in a long time. Looks like they really have been listening.

NOW, if they would only put out a 64bit mac version, i mean design capable Macs ship STANDARD with 64 bit procs and OS (i read that said development is more difficult than for the PC but i hope they're working on it).

You can’t lay this at NewTek door. OSX is not a full 64Bit OS (don’t believe the hype) Firstly you don’t have 64Bit addressing at the application level and secondly and more importantly the GUI including the OpenGL is still 32Bit which means if you do want to write 64Bit code you have to separate the back end and the GUI part of your app and communicate through a shared memory aperture. This would require a complete architectural change for a graphics app that is so dependant on its GUI like Lightwave. Apple will be fixing this in the future so there is no point re-designing Mac LW when it will need to be designed back again in the future.

So even though Macs are 64Bit hardware there is little point in doing the port. Once they get the OS sorted I think NT will be able to get the 64 bit version out the door relatively quickly.

Earl
08-01-2005, 12:04 PM
I'm quite pleased with what I've read so far! Very exciting news. I gotta admit, I was a bit disappointed when I saw the price drop in LW. It seems like LW is selling itself short. But what do I know?

I'll defeinitely be pre-ordering LW 9. I agree completely with the direction LW is taking, and I am impressed by the coverage and info presented on the LW website. Very nice work NewTek!

CB_3D
08-01-2005, 12:20 PM
Can you tell me where did you read about radiosity and caching ?
Paolo Zambrini

Lol, that´s the point,Paolo, I didn´t. But i´d like to, very much, because the majority of my work is architectural!

Lamont
08-01-2005, 12:20 PM
This is going to be sweet, I'm ready to upgrade as soon as it's released. Money is ready.

I wonder if this will make it easier for COLLADA support?

The crying is to be 'spected about something they have no idea about till it's released. Reminds me of my old girlfriend: Reading between the lines where there was nothing there to begin with.

cresshead
08-01-2005, 12:25 PM
here's the feature list of lightwave 9.0

from here:-
and remember this is likley to change with new stuff being added before it actually ships........

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/lw9featureprelim.php

GraphXs
08-01-2005, 12:30 PM
WOW! Wonderful news, it says a Q4 release! It going to be a wonderful Christmas! Upgrade price only 395!

Continue the great work Newtek!

Yay! Yay!

-Siggraph Videos Please! :D

colkai
08-01-2005, 12:48 PM
Jeez Louise!
That's what I love about you Mike, such eloquence! :p ;)
..An here's me, unable to attend the NWUK meeting this month - hoo boy, I'll wager there's gonna be some talk that day!

juanjgon
08-01-2005, 12:55 PM
They are great news ... finally we can see work in render engine ... usefull for all, but a plus to all people like me that work in visualization market :)

colkai
08-01-2005, 12:56 PM
well by what i've read so far i'm VERY happy....they've looked forward and sorted out some verylong standing issues with lightwave
just like to add a huge 'well done' to all the people working away hard on this new version of lightwave whilst taking such rough critisism on some forums about lightwave..must be tough to stay focused when you have a bunch of people just wanting to put down lightwave at ANY opportunity...

Quoted for total agreement and kudos for putting it so well.
Now, that idea of an upgrade with DFX+ instead of vue5 hmm... nice idea.

One word ... Shiny! :lwicon:

cresshead
08-01-2005, 01:07 PM
colkia, i STILL havn't used digital fusion+........never got round to registering it either!...you wanna swap your vue when the lightwave 9.0 deals out n about so i can get 2 vue's.. [maybe three..as now have 2 seats of lightwave 8.0!]....i use discreet combustion so never needed it...

if your interested contact me/eyeon to see if the app is okay to transfer to you...i've never used it..ever not registered it so should be okay to sort with your usb dongle...

have a think!

lesford
08-01-2005, 01:17 PM
I'm delighted about the Vue and 9 upgrade. Chuck, the sly dog, came through for those of us who were already on 8 and moaning for Vue. "I'll see what we can do about it" was what he said, and something has certainly been done.

As for the few of you who are moaning for DFX+; I have an unopened, unregistered copy on the shelf that I will gladly trade for your unopened, unregistered copy of Vue... and I bet I'm not the only one in this position. There are a lot of Mac and After Effects users who never had any use for the DFX+ offer who are sporting those boxed paperweights. ;)

Qexit
08-01-2005, 01:38 PM
That's what I love about you Mike, such eloquence! :p ;)
..An here's me, unable to attend the NWUK meeting this month - hoo boy, I'll wager there's gonna be some talk that day!Don't worry Colin, we'll fill you on what you miss. I doubt there will be much actual LW playing around at this meeting. Hope Mike has a plenty for us to drink, non-alcoholic of course, as there will be much chattering going on.

I see on the Newtek Europe site that they haven't posted the new prices yet. However, it does say that the Vue 5 offer is running till 31st August so now all I have to work out is how to pay for an advance LW9 upgrade before the end of the month so I can pick up a copy of Vue5 to play with while I'm waiting for LW9 to actually appear :) Hm....I seem to remember that's why someone invented payment on the 'never ever' in the form of credit cards :thumbsup:

T-Light
08-01-2005, 01:54 PM
Way to go Newtek :thumbsup:

Put me down on the DFX+ 5 bandwagon, although I'm thinking we've probably been spoilt enough already. :p

Lewis
08-01-2005, 02:04 PM
Hi !

This Preliminary LW9.0 feature list already looks MOST IMPRESSIVE and it says "more to come" :). I guess NT programmers worked very hard. Now my only problem is to wait for that Q4 but LW8.5 OpenGL with other new FREE features should keep me busy till then :).

Thanks to whole NT team.

thekho
08-01-2005, 02:09 PM
Great news!!! Im happy and exciting with abt new feature list like N-Gons and edge weighting which ive been waiting in longtime!

Great work Newtek! :thumbsup:

dballesg
08-01-2005, 02:26 PM
A new render engine means new light types? New shadow options? I did't see anything about that on the preliminary list :grumpy: And what about instancing? Vue 5 Infinite have it and I think is a MUST for LightWave 8.5 or LightWave 9 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And what about radiosity I didn't read anything about that yet on LW :grumpy:

Anyyhow are great news, I put myself on the wagon of a DFX+ 5 update :)

mav3rick
08-01-2005, 02:29 PM
da*n where can i place my order?:)
hehe

JamesCurtis
08-01-2005, 02:59 PM
Looks like I'm gonna have to scrounge up more clients and more work to afford the release of LW9!!

hrgiger
08-01-2005, 02:59 PM
I gotta admit, I was a bit disappointed when I saw the price drop in LW. It seems like LW is selling itself short. But what do I know?

Actually, you should look at it as a big F U to Lightwave's competitors. Now they will have to consider whether they should lower their prices to stay competitive. I figure it's both a pre-emptive move against Lux who will probably unveil their new product tomorrow as well as capture those people in the entry level market like Cinema4D , Maya complete, and XSI Foundation users or potential users.

GeorgeDittmar
08-01-2005, 03:15 PM
man this looks cool. better start saving for my upgrade now i guess hehe.

Surrealist.
08-01-2005, 03:34 PM
http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/08-01-05e.html

BTW this is the wrong link.

Here is the correct one.

http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/08-01-05a.html

I guess everyone was too exited to notice or care. :)

Go Newtek!

This rocks!

Liber777
08-01-2005, 03:42 PM
...this is the best news I've heard since my girlfriends pregnancy test turned up negative.

Yeah, I was relieved about that as well. J/K!

A few weeks ago I was ready to plunk down my cash for Vue 5. I'm so glad that I waited! Chuck really came through for us. Now I have to pony up for the LW[3] to 4.5 upgrade. If only DFX+ 5 came with that...! (:

~Stivan

Qexit
08-01-2005, 03:46 PM
Now I have to pony up for the LW[3] to 4.5 upgrade.I'm guessing you meant to say :

Now I have to pony up for the VT[3] to 4.5 upgrade.

:thumbsup:

Liber777
08-01-2005, 03:49 PM
I'm guessing you meant to say :
Now I have to pony up for the VT[3] to 4.5 upgrade.

Oops! Yes, indeedy!

Tesselator
08-01-2005, 04:17 PM
WOW! Wonderful news, it says a Q4 release! It going to be a wonderful Christmas! Upgrade price only 395!

Continue the great work Newtek!

Yay! Yay!

-Siggraph Videos Please! :D

Huh? WHere does it say 4th quarter release??

It does say "LightWave 3D version 9.0 is expected
to be available in the 4 th quarter for US$795.00

I just mention that because I would hate to see
a repeat of the L8 ("Late") commotion that took
place a year ago... :D

CB_3D
08-01-2005, 04:18 PM
There´s this one new Modeler feature i like best!

"better results"

Wohooo! That must be the MakePerfect.p we have been waiting for for years! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

operation
08-01-2005, 04:19 PM
Hi

On the Newtek website, I didn't find the download link for the Lightwave 9.0 upgrade ? :D

really have to wait until Q4 2005 ? :grumpy:

Don't be late ! My dongle get excited !!

Cheers up !

Operation
Mourad K.

parazis
08-01-2005, 04:33 PM
Nice done, waiting for release :thumbsup: :lwicon:

Endorphin
08-01-2005, 04:41 PM
Xtreme cool features!!! :dance:
but i really hope that there will be a "naked" update aswell...like NO Vue 5 or DFX or whatever.....i just want LightWave

Ade
08-01-2005, 04:47 PM
Anyone can announce anything BUT its how much is done and how good its been implemented.
This time round I will wait and see how the mac is supported before I buy anything. In the past certain things were announced but never came about for us mac users.

archiea
08-01-2005, 04:53 PM
About time there was something to address the edge weighting. Now everyone can finally shut up about it! :tongue:

What ticks me off though is that I finally twisted my boss's arm into purchasing LW 8 for me, the full version with Vue 5, last week for $995. Now it's knocked down to $795. And I think that includes an upgrade to 9? This always happens when I break down and order something.

you... YEW!!!! ordered a Newtek product before Siggy... look ashamed... :tongue:
I have some snake oil I can sell you!!!

kml12
08-01-2005, 05:28 PM

Question "Mebek" Have you gotten the Vue 5 Disc, and is it tied to the Dongle? I'm interested in running it on a diffent CPU

Earl
08-01-2005, 05:45 PM
Actually, you should look at it as a big F U to Lightwave's competitors. Now they will have to consider whether they should lower their prices to stay competitive. I figure it's both a pre-emptive move against Lux who will probably unveil their new product tomorrow as well as capture those people in the entry level market like Cinema4D , Maya complete, and XSI Foundation users or potential users.

You're probably right. With as many seats that LightWave sells, they can probably afford to push the limits of the price/performance ratio better than anyone.

Kuzey
08-01-2005, 05:51 PM
Mmm....Modeler tools in Layout...very cool indeed!!

So Chuck, which path did you guys take to get those features in, merged Modeler and layout into one app or kept them separate?

Sounds like the best version to date....great work Newtek team!!!

Kuzey

Pavlov
08-01-2005, 05:55 PM
Lol, that´s the point,Paolo, I didn´t. But i´d like to, very much, because the majority of my work is architectural!

LOL.. mine too, so i hoped it was true.
But, are you REALLY sure you didnt read it somewhere.. ?
;)

3DBob
08-01-2005, 06:01 PM
So if they have seperated the rendering engine from layout - this suggests to me that all rendering calls from layout are now available to any other rendering solutions.... Can anyone expand on this?

BTW - This is a good piece of news - in theory, NT should be racing away with development after this rewrite is over.

3DBob

tischbein3
08-01-2005, 06:23 PM
I just mention that because I would hate to see
a repeat of the L8 ("Late") commotion that took
place a year ago... :D

I bet my two cents the first post will come Oct. first 0:00 GMT :D

now to something different:
I hope the new "lightwave release info" web design is only event based. This "red/orange - black" color design can be described positively as furious as the announcement...but in fact is quite uncomfortable to read....

Kid Mesh
08-01-2005, 06:56 PM
..... This "red/orange - black" color design can be described positively as furious as the announcement...but in fact is quite uncomfortable to read....

Actually I'll have to totally disagree, I think the website is awesome and much easier to read and navigate through.

Gui Lo
08-01-2005, 07:50 PM
The list looks great and looks like we should see innovation, LW style, in 2006.
Nice going guys. :)

Although some modelling tools are available in Layout are they linked to keyframes so that their properties can change over time?

Can't wait to see the Siggy vids.

Gui Lo

Zach
08-01-2005, 09:34 PM
Finally! Node-based texturing!!!!!

Whoo Hooo!

Mi so Hapi

theo
08-01-2005, 09:48 PM

Mylenium

Frankly, the new upgrade path is literally so juicy it mystifies me as to where you are finding the rationale for this comment Mylenium.

You would be hard pressed to find a software company anywhere with Newtek's level of determination to please their client base, especially as evidenced by this latest press release.

3D never had it so good, in my opinion.

Verlon
08-01-2005, 10:03 PM
@#$^%$#%^#$&#!!!!!

I JUST upgraded my dongle to USB......$37 wasted.....now I need to upgrade to LW9....At least I get my VUE finally.....

The feature list looks amazing.

$37....I could've gotten a bottle of rum to celebrate...

I mean literally...I just got the RMA today. I think my guardian angel: financial division must've been on break or something.

SplineGod
08-01-2005, 10:10 PM
I was quite surprised not to read anytjhing about joint compensation control in the Character animation part,though.

That´s a big one, in my book!

I would think that having modeling tools in layout would make it simple to do smart skinning for managing joints :)

crpcory
08-01-2005, 10:13 PM
Any program that's been out a while runs the risk of an upgrade and some incentive offer. IF you don't buy it right when it comes out, this will happen, its true with basically ALL software and hardware, please stop complaining as if this somehow is not a predictable situation (although, admitedly this update is really coming quick but uhm....why would you complain about NT being fast developers????)

SplineGod
08-01-2005, 10:14 PM

Mylenium

Vodka is innovative. Is it really that important that newtek be smart enough to develop every possible feature or smart enough to target useful things to INTEGRATE into LW. The people who were big on bolting on plugins are gone. If you read the announcements carefully the word INTEGRATED is used several times. I think this would be the worst possible time to jump ship especially with a 4th quarter release of LW9. :confused:

SplineGod
08-01-2005, 10:15 PM
Looks like I'm gonna have to scrounge up more clients and more work to afford the release of LW9!!

Well based on the new pricing I dont think youll have to save for long. :)

SplineGod
08-01-2005, 10:21 PM
I think that LW9.0 will not be available this year ... maybe 1/Q of next year(2006). It's too early.... to have a stable version.

I guess that 8.5 will be the last update. ( maybe an other update in between just in case some tools are very buggy), but 9.0 for the newyear will be a good date (january-february). If they did this "preview" announcement I hope they will not be late ( aka 8.0.... 7.5 ....... 6.0 )... 2 to 4 months late.

I wish that will keep some users ( that's my case) I was going to move on , but I I feel good about the LW future. Some major tools are missing (I will continue to send features request) but I can see that they are working seriously and they want to bring back LW at the top.

Good work ! Bravo to NT team. Thanks ! And continue to listen to the customers request.

Thanks again ! :thumbsup:

Cheers!

Operation
Mourad K.

For me its a huge update across the board. Its a lot of info to take in. I have a feeling Newtek wont be late after a rough start with LW8. Weve been told all along that LW was being fixed bit by bit and replaced since LW8. It seems to have finally paid off. Jay Roth talks about the development model theyve been using, doing it in parallel. I think that Newtek is VERY VERY aware that they have to deliver LW9 on schedule.
I think 2006 will be an awesome year for LW. :)

erich
08-01-2005, 10:37 PM
Great news and THANK YOU Newtek!

I have been away for sometime, but to come back to hear all this is fabulous. Espcially the ngons and true edge tools. I think modeller really needed these.

I also would like to put in my vote for a LW9/Fprime bundle. I don't think I will need Vue anytime soon. So, I may wait until a better bundle comes along before upgrading.

Cheers.

Verlon
08-01-2005, 10:41 PM
Well I already have FPrime....so please keep the Vue bundle for a week or two. I already have DFX too.

I could really use a cook though. If you want to include a cook and/or a maid instead of Vue, that would give me more time for lightwave

crpcory
08-01-2005, 10:44 PM
IF you order the updgrade will VUE ship right away or when you get your LW9 copy?

erich
08-01-2005, 10:45 PM
Verlon....I should have been more specific, I meant Fprime 3! :D

Silkrooster
08-01-2005, 10:52 PM
IF you order the updgrade will VUE ship right away or when you get your LW9 copy?
The order pages says:

This upgrade version will ship in a box with the following materials:
Vue 5 Infinite Application CD
Special Activation Code
Mac/PC

So I take this as shipping with version 9. Either way the offer was too good for me to pass up.
Silk

Silkrooster
08-01-2005, 11:29 PM
In the other thread Chuck said the following:

Actually, when you order, we ship your copy of Vue 5 immediately. We'll ship your copy of 9 when 9 is released

Silk

james_dmi
08-02-2005, 01:57 AM
Can’t find anywhere to order 9 upgrade on the NewTek Europe site. Come on I want to give you my money!!!

jorbedo
08-02-2005, 01:58 AM
Phenomenal Press release: the Future of Lightwave (Foggy).

we are also removing any restrictions about "breaking" things, meaning that we need to move forward with our technologies. Doing so may cause older features or code assumptions to become invalid. As long as we have a solution that allows the user to benefit, and maintain his older assets as much as possible, that is allowed (and sometimes encouraged).

That makes sense, brake something that is already broke, This time NT users will have 100% robust app!.

Just remember, LW and realflow problems because the Displacement plugin never worked, Worley have to develop his own fix because NT SDK didn't worked, Lightwave and lightscape (The best solution for ArchViz) gone a long time ago, but so many of us still uses this combination (LW 5.6 and Lightscape 3.2), just because that was the last thing that worked on NT.

2.5x or 3x increase speed on rendering times, come on guys read the finerpint:
Initial improvements, available soon, should result in a minimum of 2x increase in render speeds for certain types of shaders
They never say anything about overall rendering speeds, just shaders of course!.

This one is really good, you will laugh!.
If we were to have followed what others have done (max, wavefront->Maya, xsi) we would go dark for a long period of time, forcing users to wait years for the results
Looks like he was hired for this siggraph, come on we are waiting the last 4-5 years for something really good, not fancy GUI's, useless plug-ins, workarounds, etc.

Thank you Lord!
We have stabilized our system, and are now capable of adding more and more new features in the product. These new features are intended to be production-reliable, meaning that they really work, and are not meant to merely wow at tradeshows.

riki
08-02-2005, 02:00 AM
Can’t find anywhere to order 9 upgrade on the NewTek Europe site. Come on I want to give you my money!!!

I think 4th quarter means like in the future.

james_dmi
08-02-2005, 02:07 AM
I think 4th quarter means like in the future.

I was thinking of the pre-order upgrade where you get a copy of Vue 5 while you’re waiting. I wasn’t expecting 9 to be available we haven’t even got the link to 8.5 yet.

riki
08-02-2005, 02:15 AM
okay sorry my misunderstanding.

I think they said 8.5 is due sometime in the 3rd quarter.

toby
08-02-2005, 02:22 AM
"Work how you want to work: Layers in Nodes; Nodes in Layers; Layers Only; Nodes Only"

This is why I f*ckin' love these guys.

Every other 3D app I've used is like : "Crawl this way to navigate through your scene ... come on, it's just broken glass, what are you complaining about? Aren't you honored to use our product?"

Great job fellas. Surprised and delighted lots of people :beerchug:

Lex1342
08-02-2005, 02:34 AM
Hi,

I must say I am happy and impressed by the upcoming new features. I believe that the Lightwave-team is moving into the right direction.

But...
there is always a BUT... I cannot understand why the upgrade-price for LW8-users is the same as for LW7.5... :( :mad:
Didn´t we (LW8-users) pay about 400$ just a year ago and by doing so helped the development and pushed the corechange? And now we still have to pay the same price as the ones that just waited, let the others find out about bugs and skipped the"transition-edition" of LW...

Does anyone else feel this way or is it just me being envious, that others haven´t had the troubles of the first two LW-releases?

Anyway I appreciate it much, that the development-team is doing a very good job.
Keep it up.

Lex

toby
08-02-2005, 02:35 AM
This one is really good, you will laugh!.
If we were to have followed what others have done (max, wavefront->Maya, xsi) we would go dark for a long period of time, forcing users to wait years for the results
Looks like he was hired for this siggraph, come on we are waiting the last 4-5 years for something really good, not fancy GUI's, useless plug-ins, workarounds, etc.

So you've been waiting for 'something really good' since LW6 came out? If you think that Hypervoxels (still exclusive to LW), 128 bit depth renders and the Radiosity are 'useless plug-ins', you're on your own.

Qexit
08-02-2005, 02:48 AM
I was thinking of the pre-order upgrade where you get a copy of Vue 5 while you’re waiting. I wasn’t expecting 9 to be available we haven’t even got the link to 8.5 yet.
Well, I just spoke to OneVideo in the UK. They have not yet been contacted by Newtek Europe regarding any new prices and deals, never mind the announcement of LW9. I would expect the Newtek Europe site to be updated sometime in the near future though. OneVideo will probably be getting in touch with them to find out what is happening too :rolleyes: One way or another, I will probably be putting through my LW9 upgrade order before the end of the month :p

Celshader
08-02-2005, 05:14 AM
Hi,

I must say I am happy and impressed by the upcoming new features. I believe that the Lightwave-team is moving into the right direction.

But...
there is always a BUT... I cannot understand why the upgrade-price for LW8-users is the same as for LW7.5... :( :mad:
Didn´t we (LW8-users) pay about 400$ just a year ago and by doing so helped the development and pushed the corechange? And now we still have to pay the same price as the ones that just waited, let the others find out about bugs and skipped the"transition-edition" of LW...

Does anyone else feel this way or is it just me being envious, that others haven´t had the troubles of the first two LW-releases?

Anyway I appreciate it much, that the development-team is doing a very good job.
Keep it up.

Lex

I'm not too bothered by it. I ordered LightWave [8] around SIGGRAPH 2003. Because I ordered early, I got a free copy of DFX+ 4, which came in handy for a 2004 job that required a lot of compositing. LightWave 8.2 itself pulled through for me on a difficult freelance project earlier this year with ClothFX, EditFX, MetaLink_Morph, the RIG export/import and the advanced support for FPrime. It would have been murder to deal with that particular project using 7.5, so I'm glad I bought 8.

I'm looking forwards to 9. I hope I can pre-order it tomorrow! :)

colkai
08-02-2005, 05:34 AM
OneVideo will probably be getting in touch with them to find out what is happening too :rolleyes: One way or another, I will probably be putting through my LW9 upgrade order before the end of the month :p
You will?
How very strange, I'll probably be doing exactly the same - who would have believed that? :p Oh wait, I've pre-ordered the last 3 upgrades, so I guess it's not that strange after all! LW Fanboy? Moi? hehehe.. :lightwave
Yes indeed, the future looks very bright. :boogiedow

zapper1998
08-02-2005, 05:36 AM
so cool, yes

mattclary
08-02-2005, 05:42 AM
• Much faster UI performance
• Preview Lighting scenarios within the UI
• Less need for preview renders
• Hardware shading of materials and textures
• Hardware shading of procedural textures
• New Drawing modes and options
LightWave 9.0 fully supports the Open GL 2.0 specification, leveraging the power of the latest graphics cards. New drawing modes provide new ways of interacting with scene objects and meshes, and provide for a faster turnaround of the creative process. Results from real time Open GL shading very closely mirror the results of the LightWave rendering engine, which reduces the amount of test renders that are required. Lighting and materials can be previewed directly within the user interface with a much higher degree of accuracy than ever before.

Wow, this brings tears of joy to the eyes... :cry:

The whole freakin feature list just leaves me dumbfounded. They have implemented sooooo much that we have asked for.... :I_Love_Ne

starbase1
08-02-2005, 05:56 AM
That is one $!£* of a new feature list! (Picks up jaw from the floor).
8~ :eek:

When (finally) I moved to 8, I was disappointed by the lack of obvious new cool toys, but that lot really does make me drool!

Something tells me people are going to get VERY impatient if this does not land soon!
:p

theo
08-02-2005, 08:51 AM
I am extremely impressed with Jay Roth- http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/lwfuturedev.php

The moaners and groaners that have been worrying about the future of Lightwave now have no legitimate reason or place to voice their utterances.

I think it is quite safe to assume that the entire Lightwave client base is safely ensconced on the leading edge of 3D creation.

Looks like all the cash us Lightwavers have invested is continuing to reap very nice dividends.

starbase1
08-02-2005, 09:07 AM
I agree, Jay Roth comes across very well, with a clear vision and purpose.

However, I'm not sure sure about having such confidence - I read his words as indicating there are too many companies operating in an area where it is difficult to make money. Which makes a lot of sense to me.

I'm sure he has loads of good ideas, and I am twitching to get my hands on the next version, like never before.

But I think we will see a big shake out in the next couple of years, and some big names on the software scene will go, or merge.

Mind you, this does add weight to the idea that the Vue deals are a strategic direction, rather than a one off special offer!

And if you blend in vue skies, vegetation, landscapes, and object instancing with that droolworthy LWv9 list you would have something truly astonishing.

Nick

lede
08-02-2005, 09:33 AM
I have to agree the features look very impressive and make me drool for all the new toys to work with. NT really has kicked it into overtime and given us a lot for our investment. With the LW8 upgrades comming out so quickly and it becomming more stable every time this really is exciting news we're going to get LW9 and even have a better core program.

My only complaint is they give us such great offers and now I have two great seats of lw8 but the cost of 400 a peice to upgrade is really going to suck! Now I wished I save the money I used to get my second seat and baught the lw9 upgrade :(

-Lee

paladin82203
08-02-2005, 09:51 AM
LW9 + Vue as an upgrade for $400 beans? Ugh, hope either A: I can sell my recently purchased copy of Vue, or B: NT offers an upgrade w/out Vue, or at least w/ a choice of companion apps.

etobiason
08-02-2005, 10:00 AM

The sales team can be accommodating to that sort of thing. Call and ask for the free upgrade.

Chuck
08-02-2005, 10:07 AM

Vue ships right away, in a special LW box. LW9 will ship to pre-order customers when it is released.

Chuck
08-02-2005, 10:08 AM
The sales team can be accommodating to that sort of thing. Call and ask for the free upgrade.

Further down the thread you'll see my message - everyone who has purchased the LightWave/Vue bundle to date will receive a free update to LightWave v9.0.

Zach
08-02-2005, 10:23 AM
Ha ha! I know. I just bought 8 last week, and I haven't even gotten it in the mail yet, and now they're offering the upgrade! The irony!
:tongue:

lesford
08-02-2005, 10:48 AM
Chuck,
Can you tell us if Vue will be tied to the Lightwave dongle. This is not an issue for me, but the question has been asked several times and I haven't yet seen an answer.

Also, it would be helpful to know the time frame for the Vue offer, as credit card management becomes an issue at Sigraph time. At least for those of us who pay them off monthly.(I am trying to factor in a G2/FPrime2 license that will have a three day window here, without knowing what it will cost, as well as a couple of LW9 / Vue upgrades). The short question is: Will the Vue offer last until the end of the month?

I am delighted to see that E-On follows a similar dual-platform license scheme to the Lightwave dual license.

Les Ford

Pavlov
08-02-2005, 10:56 AM
Further down the thread you'll see my message - everyone who has purchased the LightWave/Vue bundle to date will receive a free update to LightWave v9.0.

Chuck,
9.0 announcement really surprised me, so i must give a kudos to the whole team. Many long time needed things in that list, finally.
Regarding deals, i'm on DF wagon... i'd like that bundle more than others.

Can you expand a bit regarding rendering improvements ? Apart from raytracing velocity, nothing was said about improvements on GI and lights side. Will lighting toolset be deeper and more complete ?
Regarding GI, the greatest thing is we now can get 3rd party renderers; anyway, will be GI side improved with newer algorithms ? Will we get a smart GI caching engine for walkthroughs and baking ?

Thanks,
Paolo Zambrini

parm
08-02-2005, 11:05 AM
Congratulations on a fabulous feature announcement for LW9

Many thanks for all the free updates since 7.5, and thanks for continuing the Vue/LW bundle offer.

My money is ready as soon as this appears on the Newtek Europe site.

Parm

otacon
08-02-2005, 11:42 AM
I'd also like to know a little more about the rendering improvements.

Chuck
08-02-2005, 11:47 AM
The LightWave team has no additional announcements or information to provide at this time. They're busy at SIGGRAPH soaking up seminars for future ground-breaking technologies to add to LightWave 3D! :lightwave

And they may be up to a little of this as well: :beerchug:

Chuck
08-02-2005, 11:50 AM
Chuck,
Can you tell us if Vue will be tied to the Lightwave dongle.

I don't believe it is, but the usual suspects I would tag in order to get a certain answer are all at the show. I think it's issued in such a way that it has to be registered in conjunction with the LightWave license it comes with, but isn't tied to the dongle. I'll keep working on getting that answer.

colkai
08-02-2005, 12:52 PM
No fair!
They left poor Ole Chuck to man the fort, anyone in the vacinity go around with a beer or two for that man! :beerchug: :)

harlan
08-02-2005, 01:06 PM
How bout some LW9 screenshots???

mattclary
08-02-2005, 01:11 PM
Yeah, woooooooooe is Chuck! ;)

Chuck monitors the Fora :compbeati

He takes a few support calls :bangwall:

This has got to stop, he says :stop:

Why am I working while all those [email protected] are at Siggraph? :question:

Screw 'em! I've got run of the office, time to kick back :beerchug:

kcole
08-02-2005, 01:52 PM
You forgot the last part:

Says "to heck with rules" and posts LW 9 screenshots! :lwicon:

mav3rick
08-02-2005, 02:56 PM
chuck it is really good that newtek sended theyr employees to attend all of those seminars.. they are killer base for new technology... i am so proud of new dev team and i am sure you are as much prouud as i am

Verlon
08-02-2005, 04:45 PM
Chuck sitting in his office lamming cuervo shots with lightwave groupies and celebrating the 9 announcement saying "I can't believe they left me in charge" while wearing his "too drunk to Sigraph" t-shirt.

Ahh yeah.... :cool:

Kuzey
08-02-2005, 06:39 PM
So Chuck, is Lightwave still a two app baby or has Modeler & Layout been merged??

Kuzey

KillMe
08-02-2005, 07:31 PM
seems to be both =) everyone is happy

Kuzey
08-02-2005, 07:54 PM
Or it's still a two app baby but now the Hub is actually useful.....all the tools that are common to both Modeler & layout are built into the hub etc.

:)

Kuzey

Earl
08-02-2005, 08:19 PM
Does anyone know what "IP" stands for on the LW Future page? The direct quote from that page is:

NewTek's approach to the model is to implement innovative structures that allow both the rapid advancement of a given product, but also easy application of IP across multiple products. With regard to the first goal, rapid advancement means not simply the addition of new features, but also the ability to quickly revise or even replace structures and elements of the IP in order to take advantage of the latest software design technologies and of innovations from the development teams. The second goal is to apply intelligent, efficient design so that the code base can easily be used to maximum advantage to create new products derived from the original base product within a line, or IP can be applied across multiple product lines.
Err, I just can't seem to figure it out. It makes me feel stupid! :confused: Chuck? Anyone? Pleeeaaasse.......

A side note, there are TWO different smilies for the "confused" reference. How does it determine which one is the true confused? I wanted the other one http://vbulletin.newtek.com/images/smilies/brians/confused.gif ...but it gave me the blue frown being attacked by ?'s.

theo
08-02-2005, 08:32 PM
Or it could be none of the above. Rather Newtek may have opted to just cash in on the exploding game market and has revamped Lightwave into a hardcore FPS game. Nulls, Booleans, and Endomorphs are now three-legged lumbering masses of vein-laden flesh that must be destroyed by our new super-duper dynamic emitter weapon which is powered by (cough, cough) powergon batteries. A snazzy mode of transportation has been introduced into Lightwave with the new IKBooster pack that can send your little 3D body flying at warp speeds to aid in your killing spree. But the toughest quest is finding and pulverizing as many HyperVoxels as possible to gain the ultimate subpatch that will be affixed to your warrior jersey showcasing your great skills.

Oh man I can't wait....I need my dopamine fix Newtekians!!!

Kuzey
08-02-2005, 08:45 PM
I'm guessing IP = Intellectual property??

Lw as a game or the other option........

Kuzey

MrEntropy
08-02-2005, 11:15 PM
One thing I didn't see mentioned is useful undo's in Layout. Has there been a major revamp of the undo system so every operation can be undone?

Silkrooster
08-02-2005, 11:37 PM
The way I read the list is that it is not complete, so we will have to wait and see.
Silk

Zach
08-02-2005, 11:50 PM
I don't think i saw this, but is there history in the modeling tools... animatable history?

This is something that rawks! Something more like an implementation of XSI over Maya's history would be pretty f-in kewl.

also, I would like to see a "make kewl model" button implemented into 9 as well as a "Rockin' Animation" button and a "Brilliant Render" button too.

Small things, I know... but it is the small things that count.

dballesg
08-03-2005, 12:43 AM
Hey Chuck,

Even when all the staff is on the Siggraph doin their homework!! :hey: It is possible to know if there is gonna be ANY improvement on the Screamernet Area. Is a second concern of me after the one I said about Instancing on rendering.

I suppose between beers they can pickup their laptops and sent you a mail, or even better read the forums and aswer the impatience masses right here :D

Thanks guys you are doing a very good job! :agree:

P.D: Chuck if you are alone at the office take your time to redecorate everything you do not like! :) Next year they will take you with them!! :p

stone
08-03-2005, 04:28 AM
just a few bits that is a must read to most:

The team completed extraction of the renderer from Layout and shipped it for the first time as a dll/shlib (the team has been somewhat surprised that the appearance of the rendering module as a standalone entity in the Programs folder went completely unremarked by users). This change in the relationship of the renderer to the rest of the application has a number of implications for the future both for NewTek development and for third party opportunities. It will be possible to ship multiple versions of the renderer optimized per platform (processor included), to implement multiple optional renderers that the user can select from, and to allow for third party rendering options.

Modeling capabilities have been implemented in Layout by extracting the mesh-editing core from Modeler, and moving it into a common location where Layout and Modeler both have access. Layout's new capabilities extend to running many of the existing plug-ins created for Modeler as well, so many users who have expressed a preference for a single workspace for all model and scene creation will find Layout well on its way to being that single workspace.

Chuck
08-03-2005, 08:08 AM
P.D: Chuck if you are alone at the office take your time to redecorate everything you do not like! :) Next year they will take you with them!! :p

I wasn't alone, but I probably could have done some redecorating if I hadn't been so busy making sure I had everything squared away before I started my vacation today!!! See you all in a couple of weeks! :beerchug:

:lightwave

colkai
08-03-2005, 08:22 AM
Ahh,
and so the real reason Chuck didn't go comes out. :p
Enjoy ya break Chuck - hope the weather over there is better than our rather bizzare British weather lately. :D
If it carries on raining, I swear, my hawks going to forget how to fly hehe...

Weetos
08-03-2005, 08:32 AM
Enjoy your vacation, Chuck !

Colkai> hey have a break too and come down to france, it's hot and sunny here ;)

Brian Arndt
08-03-2005, 08:55 AM
Weathers really nice here in San Antonio! :D

Currently 79°

JML
08-03-2005, 09:05 AM
Enjoy your vacation, Chuck !

Colkai> hey have a break too and come down to france, it's hot and sunny here ;)

It's hot and sunny in the south of france, not in the north ;)

beverins
08-03-2005, 09:17 AM

Currently 79°

Hot like an oven here in NYC... Ironic.

Lightwolf
08-03-2005, 09:19 AM

Currently 79°
I surely hope that is Fahrenheit ;) I like it hot, but not _that_ hot ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Weetos
08-03-2005, 09:33 AM
It's hot and sunny in the south of france, not in the north ;)

heh true north is cold, but I live half way and it's 29°C/84°F :D

theo
08-03-2005, 09:42 AM
Greatest Lightwave news in fifty years and it ends up with wavers ragging on the weather......dang hobbyists :D :D

Qexit
08-03-2005, 09:47 AM
Greatest Lightwave news in fifty years and it ends up with wavers ragging on the weather......dang hobbyists :D :D...and I've told you a million times not to exaggerate :p

theo
08-03-2005, 09:57 AM
...and I've told you a million times not to exaggerate :p

:tongue: :tongue:

colkai
08-03-2005, 12:37 PM
Greatest Lightwave news in fifty years and it ends up with wavers ragging on the weather......dang hobbyists :D :D
Heheh,
Hey - I'm British, didn't ya know complaining about the weather is a national pastime? :p
Give it a couple of more decades and we'll get it in as an Olympic Sport - just you wait and see! :tongue:

Dooby
08-04-2005, 02:28 AM
They have it up now!

http://www.onevideo.co.uk/lightwave-3d-9-upgrade-preorder-eon-vue-5-infinite-p-199.html

Doobs!

toby
08-04-2005, 02:46 AM
OMG! Back to the shaded buttons?!? Tell me it's true!
:rock:

KillMe
08-04-2005, 04:15 AM
thats not 9 - there is no modeling tools tab in layout there

colkai
08-04-2005, 04:38 AM
Here's a thing...
I was just reading on OneVideo regarding the LW9 upgrade - something that Newtek haven't mentioned, or if they did, I missed it.
"A very recent report from Newtek states that Lightwave 8.5 & 9 require the USB dongle to work"
So anyone (like me) still on a parallel dongle for any of the LW seats they are looking to upgrade is going to have to buy a Dongle Swap.
Plus of course, you will have to re-register all software tied to your dongle as the dongles are already "on the shelf" and so are not coded to match your old ID.

So you're looking at and additional 40 quid for that.

Frustrating because, Ironically, if you're still on 7.5 ...
"Now for all you guys still on version 7.x or earlier, things could not be better or easier for you, as all standard upgrades to version 8.x with the vue 5 come with a free dongle swap, best of all you will get Lightwave 9 when its released"

So it seems those who got LW8 when it comes out are actually going to be in a worse position than those who avoided the whole LW8 upgrade cycle. Looks like certain people holding off have done the wise thing.
Makes me wonder that, if I hold off getting LW9 - will I end up getting a free dongle swap if I later upgrade to LW10.

Note though - according to OneVideo even LW8.5 will require a USB dongle.

Can anyone from Newtek clarify all this and explain why older upgraders are benefiting from a free dongle swap and yet those keeping up with the releases are not?

krimpr
08-04-2005, 05:10 AM
Tell me that this USB issue is a mistake. I have a parallel port dongle and don't want to have to jump through multiple re-registration hoops! All my Worley stuff, Greenbriar stuff, and God knows what else. Tell me that this is a mistake or some kind of sick joke. A hardware lock is a hardware lock is a hardware lock. This is not right.

colkai
08-04-2005, 05:24 AM
Tell me that this USB issue is a mistake. I have a parallel port dongle and don't want to have to jump through multiple re-registration hoops!
My concern precisely - I'm hoping this is a mistake but I dunno, OneVideo are pretty good about keeping up to date on things.

A hardware lock is a hardware lock is a hardware lock. This is not right.
Well, that's how I would see it - unless there is something in the nature of the USB ones which make it better / easier for coding - I dunno, maybe the older parallel ones are not up to the new requirements?

Either way - I'm gutted too as it was a bit of an unpleasant surprise, not to mention having to justify the extra 40 quid. When you do this for a hobby on a seriously limited budget - it's a struggle.

Another thing I thought of - if you have any plugins where they are no longer publicly available or the development has ceased - during the upgrade - you're going to lose the ability to use the plugins even on your older versions of LW.

I thought there used to be a way of exchanging and keeping the same ID? That at least would make the process less painful, if no cheaper.

krimpr
08-04-2005, 06:06 AM
You're right colkai; and I may be in the boat of having plugs tied to my dongle which can't be transferred to a new id. I am pretty sure that your parallel port dongle id cannot be transferred to a "custom" usb model. I sincerely hope that Newtek will reconsider this policy as I am positive that they could allow us us to rekey our 8.5/9.0 upgrade to our dongles if they wanted to. I have always viewed Newtek to be fair, and choose to believe at this point that we wouldn't be hung out to dry. It'd sure be nice to see a response regarding this policy posted somewhere...

colkai
08-04-2005, 06:31 AM
Good news .. good news...
Someone had got their wires crossed. You DO NOT need a USB dongle for LW8.5 / LW9 to work. :D :D
I think there may have been some confusion over the need to upgrade the driver which we did when 8.3 came out.

Ahh, right... now, time to sweet talk the wife. :p ;)

krimpr
08-04-2005, 06:42 AM
Whew! Thanks for the update colkai! I was just going through my plugins folders to see how nuclear I was gonna go. Ok.. deep breaths and pleasant thoughts... puppies in a basket; yeah, that's it.

TheDAve
08-04-2005, 06:44 AM
Good news .. good news...
Someone had got their wires crossed. You DO NOT need a USB dongle for LW8.5 / LW9 to work. :D :D
I think there may have been some confusion over the need to upgrade the driver which we did when 8.3 came out.

Phew...

I was jus about to ask this question and it seems to have already been discussed.

Mind you it would be good if we could get a confirmation from Newtek on this!

DAve

Qexit
08-04-2005, 06:47 AM
Well, my order for the LW9 upgrade went in last night to Onevideo. Now all I have to do is work out how to pay the credit card bill next month :rolleyes: Anyone want to buy a very slightly used copy of messiah:studio :D

JML
08-04-2005, 06:55 AM
OMG! Back to the shaded buttons?!? Tell me it's true!
:rock:

it looks like an old screenshot of LW7..
I wonder how LW9 is going to look like.. and what will be the color scheme..

the box on that site looks like LW8, but it's a huge one..

http://www.onevideo.co.uk/lightwave-3d-9-upgrade-preorder-eon-vue-5-infinite-p-199.html

colkai
08-04-2005, 07:05 AM
Anyone want to buy a very slightly used copy of messiah:studio :D
I'd love to help you out Kevin, really mate, but it seems a large chunk of cash is about to be removed from my own finances. :p ;)

Qexit
08-04-2005, 07:07 AM
the box on that site looks like LW8, but it's a huge one.. The box containing the LW8 installation CDs and a printed manual is pretty huge :)

Qexit
08-04-2005, 07:22 AM
I'd love to help you out Kevin, really mate, but it seems a large chunk of cash is about to be removed from my own finances. :p ;)Not to worry Colin, I may just cancel my order since I just stumbled across something much better to spend my money on:

http://www.choicesdirect.com/templates/product.asp?ProductGuid=675118

Those of you outside the UK may not understand the significance of the link :hijack: :lol:

colkai
08-04-2005, 07:27 AM
hehe - you and ya DVD collections. :p ;)

Qexit
08-04-2005, 07:34 AM
hehe - you and ya DVD collections. :p ;)True, but you have to admit the ones in that set are all true classics that should be in every collection :thumbsup: ....and you should see my growing collection of Lobby Cards. Natural-born hoarder or what :p I am still missing a LW5.0 box from my LW collection, I only have the installation CDs and manuals for that. Not too sure if there will be room for the LW9.0 box on my shelves at the moment, but I should have cleared enough space by the end of Q4 2005 ;)

JML
08-04-2005, 07:50 AM
I'm missing the big box too..
I have the big box from LW7 and wish I could add a big one for 8 and 9
I wish that good software package like LW would come in something heavier than a DVD case...

colkai
08-04-2005, 07:53 AM
I am still missing a LW5.0 box from my LW collection, I only have the installation CDs and manuals for that.
Darn, I used to have that but got rid of it to create space. I'll double check in the ole under-bed storage (dump), but I think I only currently have the LW6 & Lw7 boxes.

Earl
08-04-2005, 08:25 AM
I am still missing a LW5.0 box from my LW collection, I only have the installation CDs and manuals for that.

I've still got that box on my shelf. :cool: Though, the last time I actually tried to open it a spider crawled out of it. :thumbsdow

Zach
08-04-2005, 08:40 AM
sold all my lw stuff last year, all the way down to 4.0. Didn't have the 5 box though. I must say, the design of the packaging seems to get better and better, and I can't say I used all the manuals after upgrading.

kohlrabi_croce
08-04-2005, 12:10 PM
I've still got that box on my shelf. :cool: Though, the last time I actually tried to open it a spider crawled out of it. :thumbsdow

Do you want to sell it?

mattclary
08-04-2005, 12:16 PM
Do you want to sell it?

What's a good spider going for nowadays? :question:

toby
08-04-2005, 12:32 PM
it looks like an old screenshot of LW7..
I wonder how LW9 is going to look like.. and what will be the color scheme..

the box on that site looks like LW8, but it's a huge one..

For a minute I thought it was a Newtek site.

I want an attractive interface again! 8~

Radamanthys
08-04-2005, 03:58 PM
end of July (10 days ago), I ordered Lightwave 8 + vue package, full version.

I read that Lightwave 8 + vue will get free upgrade to Lightwave 9, does it include ALL the LW8 + Vue package, or just the one after the announce, in wich case i would realy feel mad at NT.

Earl
08-04-2005, 04:04 PM

I read that Lightwave 8 + vue will get free upgrade to Lightwave 9, does it include ALL the LW8 + Vue package, or just the one after the announce, in wich case i would realy feel mad at NT.

The free upgrade to v9 includes ALL LW/Vue bundles, even those purchased before v9 was announced. Remember, this is NewTek, not some other company not worth mentioning. :cool:

:lwicon:

Qexit
08-04-2005, 04:08 PM

I read that Lightwave 8 + vue will get free upgrade to Lightwave 9, does it include ALL the LW8 + Vue package, or just the one after the announce, in wich case i would realy feel mad at NT.If you go to page 3 of this thread, about halfway down the page Chuck Baker from Newtek states that everyone who has bought the LW/Vue package will be getting the LW9 upgrade :I_Love_Ne

Radamanthys
08-04-2005, 04:10 PM
The free upgrade to v9 includes ALL LW/Vue bundles, even those purchased before v9 was announced. Remember, this is NewTek, not some other company not worth mentioning. :cool:

:lwicon:

thanks god,

alreday that I'm crying seing the software lost 200 €* since the time i got it (last week) and i'm double frustrated since i was on hollyday this week and thus could not use it :( :( :(

*[I'm paying Lightwave from my pocket as a pasionate of 3D aniamtion (not doing business with it), thus 200 € mean alot for me]

kohlrabi_croce
08-05-2005, 09:31 AM

I mean, do you want to sell LW 5? I'd take the spider too...

tracy

Mebek
08-08-2005, 10:57 AM
Free upgrade to 9 for all LW8 / Vue orders! Gah! DearChuckyouaresogreatIloveyouwithmouth K THX <3 BYE

YAAAAAAAAAAAY! WOOHOO!

Hey LW 6.5b, guess what? SHUN!! :stop:

Doobywho
08-10-2005, 06:16 PM
Please tell me your joking... 9? I bought 8 not even 2 months ago... Figures :mad:

Lamont
08-10-2005, 06:20 PM
No joke, and I am sure NT will give you the 9 version free of charge. So no reason to be mad yet until you find out for sure. Just call 'em up. Then if they say "no", feel free to be pissed.

Zach
08-10-2005, 06:43 PM
Holy crap this manual is huge.

I got the box and was wondering why the heck it was so big and heavy. For those of you who are debating on getting the printed documentation, it is a gigantic binder with a billion pages of what basically is the html search manual. The binder itself is actually not thick enough to house all the pages, so i'm going to get a second (non-NewTek) binder to fit them all, as the pages don't seem strong enough for the work out they will be getting.

It's freekin huge, I need to get a second desk for it!

Doobywho
08-10-2005, 07:14 PM
I guess I'll find out in the morning. I'll let ya know.

No joke, and I am sure NT will give you the 9 version free of charge. So no reason to be mad yet until you find out for sure. Just call 'em up. Then if they say "no", feel free to be pissed.

Earl
08-10-2005, 07:27 PM
It's freekin huge, I need to get a second desk for it!
Freekin huge isn't even enough to describe it's size. Ya know, you can order a second NewTek binder (empty binder). But yeah, it's really better to skip the printed manual and just use the electronic. Of course, that didn't stop me from ordering it (as well as nine's printed manual!). :D

at_626
08-10-2005, 08:46 PM
Please tell me your joking... 9? I bought 8 not even 2 months ago... Figures :mad:

I bought 8 about 3 months only... :mad:

Doobywho, can you lets us know when you find out pls :)

Doobywho
08-11-2005, 02:28 PM
nope - they won't do it. the cut off date was August 1st. What kinda crap is that! grrr.

etobiason
08-11-2005, 02:41 PM
Make enough money using the version you bought between now and when the upgrade is released, and it will literally pay for itself. Even if you can't do that, at least you have the program between now and then.

Just trying to be positive! :o

Qexit
08-11-2005, 02:41 PM
Holy crap this manual is huge.

I got the box and was wondering why the heck it was so big and heavy. For those of you who are debating on getting the printed documentation, it is a gigantic binder with a billion pages of what basically is the html search manual. The binder itself is actually not thick enough to house all the pages, so i'm going to get a second (non-NewTek) binder to fit them all, as the pages don't seem strong enough for the work out they will be getting.

It's freekin huge, I need to get a second desk for it!Hehe, fortunately, Newtek Europe have come through with something a bit more manageable. The LW8.0 Reference Manual I have here is almost the same size as the LW7.0 printed manual and has 1089 pages. No ring binder, just a regular card binding. This shipped with an upgrade to LW8.0 as a freebie :)

Mebek
08-11-2005, 02:50 PM
Where and when was the August 1st cutoff date mentioned? Chuck himself posted in here several times that ALL lw8+Vue bundles were getting the upgrade for free, no matter when they were bought. Has that changed?

Radamanthys
08-11-2005, 02:57 PM
my god i realy hope 1st august is not the cutoff, otherway i'm going to kill the newtek commercial who convinced me to buy it one week before august,

already that i lost 200 € for that week, if in addition i must pay to get 9, i'm going to be even more pissed off :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Celshader
08-11-2005, 03:00 PM
my god i realy hope 1st august is not the cutoff, otherway i'm going to kill the newtek commercial who convinced me to buy it one week before august,

already that i lost 200 € for that week, if in addition i must pay to get 9, i'm going to be even more pissed off :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Everyone who bought the 8+Vue combo qualifies for a free upgrade to 9, as far as I know. DoobyWho did not mention if he had bought the 8+Vue combo or not.

Earl
08-11-2005, 03:03 PM
i'm going to be even more pissed off :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Mad mad mad mad! Four mad faces is serious stuff. Let's hope for the smilies' sake that we're right.

Radamanthys
08-11-2005, 03:29 PM
Mad mad mad mad! Four mad faces is serious stuff. Let's hope for the smilies' sake that we're right.

if its not the case, i promise a storm of mad smileys and i'll fill that commercial email box till he at least answer me (so strange to see how fast they answer you before you buy and how they ignore you after ...)

Brian Arndt
08-11-2005, 03:50 PM
:D :D :D :D - curtesy smiley barrage

Doobywho
08-11-2005, 04:33 PM
Everyone who bought the 8+Vue combo qualifies for a free upgrade to 9, as far as I know. DoobyWho did not mention if he had bought the 8+Vue combo or not.

Correct - I did not buy the 8+VUE combo. Only 8.

Doobywho
08-11-2005, 04:35 PM
Make enough money using the version you bought between now and when the upgrade is released, and it will literally pay for itself. Even if you can't do that, at least you have the program between now and then.

Just trying to be positive! :o

I don't really use it for work... more of a hobby... if i need to use it for work, i will (which is the reason i didn't buy the educational version).

toby
08-11-2005, 09:37 PM
9 has only been announced. They had to give us something at Siggraph, they'd probably have announced it later if they could. It probably won't be out before the end of the year.

Silkrooster
08-11-2005, 11:16 PM
I was silently predicting ver 9 would be annouced at siggraph, mostly because it was siggraph. With the thunder of features for ver 9, I can understand why they announce at siggraph rather than a couple of months down the road. It just makes sence. That is one of the few times a year everyones eyes are looking at Newtek.
Silk