PDA

View Full Version : Other live streaming formats?

JumboCast
08-01-2005, 07:44 AM
Sorry for the religious dogma here :D but contemplating a TriCaster purchase, and would love to know that, at least down the road, RealMedia live streaming might be an option. (Nothing against Windows Media -- just been streaming in Real format for the past three-and-a-half years, and would prefer not to change.)

Any plans in that direction? Thanks.

Steve Clay
JumboCast
http://www.jumbocast.com

Paul Lara
08-01-2005, 09:07 AM
Nothing being considered at the moment, Steve.

wftiv
08-03-2005, 07:40 AM
I have had nothing but bad luck with RealMedia on computers I have installed it on. Probably just me, but it seems that Windows Media does it all and why have amother player trying to become my default player. Also, Windows encoding is so seamless, I am very happy that the Tricster is not going to be offering too many options in this area. Lets keep it simple and working!
Regards,
Bill

JumboCast
08-08-2005, 01:07 PM
Paul, what about the ability to select multiple bit rates in the TriCaster Windows Media encoder? Has anyone asked yet? Most of our audience has high-speed access, but I know we still have some 56k modems out there. Real is certainly not good sending a 350k stream to a 56k modem -- dunno whether Windows Media servers/players handle the situation any better.

Don't mean to be a noodge -- played with the TriCaster for a LONG time on Friday, and loved it. Just want to get my head around all of the ramifications for our existing streaming audience. Thanks.

-steve

Paul Lara
08-08-2005, 01:42 PM
Steve,
Yes, you CAN create a stream with multiple bit-rates.
Since the engine is Windows Media Encoder, you can create a custom profile, and then save that resultant .prx file in the TriCaster streams folder, and it will appear by the saved file name! :thumbsup:

JumboCast
08-08-2005, 01:44 PM
Thanks, Paul. That's perfect. Now where's my credit card?

gte307e
12-03-2007, 09:27 PM
I won't have my Tricaster home from its current shoot for a few more days, but is this TRUE??? Is this verified?

The dealer who sold me our TRicaster said if you save a WME profile file, then run it on the TRicaster, it will still only encode in a single bit rate. I'm very excited if he is mistaken!

-JC

D3Cast
12-03-2007, 10:24 PM
Holy crap. Is this true? That would definitely explain some weirdness I've had lately with multi-rate streams on my TC Standard (where, after about 30-40 minutes, the whole stream encodes and streams at about 2x real-time).

The test would be, I suppose, to create a multi-rate template, stream output with it, save the stream to disk, and then use Windows Media Stream Editor to pull it apart and see what streams are in there. Don't have time to do this now, but maybe in the next coupla days.

-steve
(amused to look back at the first post in this thread, which I believe was my first post 'round these parts... oh well, so much for RealMedia... 8~)

PIZAZZ
12-03-2007, 11:17 PM
Yes the other Steve Clay. I do indeed believe you can create and stream from VT or TC with multiple bitrates. I tried it in VT just last week. Should work in the TCPro just the same.

I was wondering if that was the same Steve Clay.

D3Cast
12-04-2007, 07:44 AM
I was wondering if that was the same Steve Clay.Yup. Same one. But that was way back before I discovered the voodoo, or the Pizazz, for that matter. :D

sbrandt
12-05-2007, 12:54 AM
YIPES...!!!

You're better than Kreskin. You read my mind too.

I'd pay semi-handsomly for a copy of someone's customized .prx file!

(I think I have an extra Padron Maduro laying around here somewhere)

Paul Lara
12-06-2007, 03:57 PM
YIPES...!!!

I'd pay semi-handsomly for a copy of someone's customized .prx file!

How appropriate, since I am indeed semi-handsome.
http://www.newtek.com/vt/tutorials/streamingprofiles/index.php

Small, unmarked bills are preferred.

sbrandt
12-06-2007, 04:33 PM
Nothing semi about that post!
You indeed ARE da' man.

Mallard or Platypus?
Hummingbird's are smaller but too hard to catch.
http://www.homepages.ucl.ac.uk/~ucbpyit/platypus

sbrandt
12-06-2007, 09:12 PM
Sorry about two post in a row, but I guess the 'edit' function goes away after awhile.

STEVE, I watched the Jumbos go 88 - 71 over the Beavers on your JumboCast.

I'm using audiovideoweb.com also but am having some port problems and my IT asked me to ask you a question:
What's the configuration of your feed out. Are you behind the school's firewall or are you setup outside of the firewall?

I have other questions from myself:
What cameras are you shooting, how do you connect them ['S', Component, BNC? How long are their cable runs?], and if you use the VM do you ever have problems with it locking up when fading layers in and out?

You're running a sweet setup.

A little anecdote on the side:
One of the guys I work with wrote "Please come to Boston" (old song) and played against some of the same schools that are on your archive list. I had to stream the entire game for him. It was a BIG hit !!! All we were missing was the beer!

gkenney
12-06-2007, 09:48 PM
Is there anyway to upgrade to vc-1 or Mpeg4 streaming on the Tricaster Pro?

jedbarish
12-09-2007, 09:46 PM
Audiovideoweb.com offer to stream live through flash encoder but Tricaster is not being able to switch over to their web based flash encoder unlikely VT4/5 can do, right?

sbrandt
12-09-2007, 10:13 PM
As far as I know, audiovideoweb offers Windows Media, Real and Quicktime.
I think they just added MS Silverlight too.

jedbarish
12-09-2007, 10:16 PM
I dont know if they offer a silverlight embedded player but I just wondered if tricaster could use audiovideoweb's flash streaming option directly out of the box.

TappedOut
12-11-2007, 12:08 AM
I dont know if they offer a silverlight embedded player but I just wondered if tricaster could use audiovideoweb's flash streaming option directly out of the box.

I am using Silverlight, so I can verify that it works and is the best out there by far!! Once I get things up and running (Next week or so) I'll give you all a sample of what it looks like streaming live in Silverlight!

TappedOut
12-11-2007, 12:10 AM
As far as I know, audiovideoweb offers Windows Media, Real and Quicktime.
I think they just added MS Silverlight too.

I had them for a month and YES I was able to stream in Silverlight. I am not sure if they offer that or not but they don't have to. All you have to do is code silverlight with the stream they give you as a broadcast stream and presto....Streaming in Silverlight!

jedbarish
12-11-2007, 05:58 AM
Post your silverlight player here if you could :)

TappedOut
12-11-2007, 07:36 AM
Post your silverlight player here if you could :)

I'll take a look at it when I get home and see what I can get you guys to help out!

jedbarish
12-12-2007, 09:27 PM
TappedOut,

Hope you ll be able to post your silverlight player or zip it up on this forum because I tried it before to use silverlight to work with streaming. It wasnt working and Im using audiovideoweb for next live event soon. I would like to see how it can be done. Thanks!

sbrandt
12-15-2007, 01:58 AM
A few posts back, I asked Steve Clay some questions about how he gets his great sports shows to work.

He sent this to my home email so I'll share it this way.

It may not be information you need, but if you're like me, and I know I am, you'd rather read any technoid stuff than the back of even the best cereal box at breakfast.

My questions basically were:
-------------------------------------
Do Tufts broadcast from behind their firewall or outside of it.

What cameras are Tufts University and/or D3Sports shooting.

How are they connected… 'S', Component, BNC?

How long are the cable runs?

If they/you use the VM does it ever have problems with locking up when fading layers in and out?

When TriCasterPro asks for the server information and publishing point in one string, the formatting I’m using is:
win.1.c3.audiovideoweb.com/1c3winlive6715
Does that look right to you?..."
----------------------------

To which he graciously took the time out of what has to be a hugely busy day to reply:

The Tufts stuff DOES initiate from behind Tufts’ firewall – they’re using a TC Standard, which means they need to do pull encoding, but luckily, the Tufts network is set up so that, once a computer is authenticated (via MAC address, I believe), it has unlimited access as far as the firewall is concerned. So we’ve never run into firewall issues on THAT campus. Other campuses, however… (shudder). In many of the settings in which we work, pull streaming is such a headache that I often bring a standalone box with an Osprey capture card that I run Windows Media Encoder on and push from that… (still cheaper than a TC Pro! J) When I do absolutely have to pull, generally the issue is getting a external-facing IP, rather than having either port 80 or 8080 open. Hope those breadcrumbs help.

The JumboCast kids are generally shooting Canon GL-2s, connected via S-video to the TC. (They borrow some similar cameras – older Sonys – from the Tufts TV station when they do multi-camera shoots.)

I know they have a few 100’ S-video cables – I’ve used some S-video-over-CAT-5 baluns that Jef Kethley hooked me up with, and run S-video about 350’ that way, and also the NCAA project that I worked on has similar S-video-over-CAT-5 hookups, and I’ve massaged about 700-800 feet out of those. For webcast purposes, I’d be shocked if 1000’ wouldn’t look semi-decent.

I have a VM, but don’t really use it that much – I haven’t had too many locking-up issues with it, but I have fat-fingered the wrong camera too many times – I’m actually more comfortable switching with the keyboard. J

And finally, yes, that AVWeb URL/pub point syntax looks correct. I have a few of those newer points, like
Server Name: win.1.c3.audiovideoweb.com
Publishing Point: 1c3winlive6700

and that syntax works just fine. (BTW, it’s a little confusing to reconfigure AVWeb’s publishing points from push to pull, but if you need to and you haven’t figured it out, it’s under the “Live Webcasting Account” section of your control panel, under “Live Info/Update”.)

D3Cast
12-15-2007, 05:47 AM
To which he graciously took the time out of what has to be a hugely busy day to reply:Eh, it's not so busy. :D My pleasure.

But you left out all the important info about "Please Come To Boston"! :D

-steve

rally1
12-17-2007, 08:12 PM
Anyone use AudioVideoWebs payper view?