PDA

View Full Version : In desperate need of help

lesterfoster
07-31-2005, 02:32 PM
I just upgraded my toaster. I bought a 500 GIG video hard drive, and a dual layer DVD burner. The installation of the hard drives went OK, but something went wrong during the installation of my new DVD burner. Somehow I lost the drivers for the DVD drive and windows no longer sees it. My toaster rep cannot seem to get it going and I have had another professional computer technician also try, and he could not get it to work either.

The advice that I am getting from my toaster rep and the other computer technician is to redo my system. But I am in the middle of two major projects, and I cannot redo the system right now. The other thing is I need my DVD burner to back up all my work before I can redo my system.

Has anyone got any advice on how to get my DVD burner to work?

thanks

Brian Peterson
07-31-2005, 04:03 PM
Have you tried pluigging in the old drive and does that work

Are they sure it's the OS and not the hardware?

I've redone my OS a couple of times with projects on there. I make sure to transfer anything I need off of the system drive to one of the raids. From there I blank the system drive and reinstall. The OS should recognize the raids once it's been reinstalled and all you have to do is import them in drive management. Finally transfer the information that was originally on the system drive back and you're ready to rock and roll.

But from the sounds of it I think you have a bad DVD drive and not an os problem.

Rich Deustachio
07-31-2005, 11:05 PM
Take or send back the dvd burner and buy a differnet brand.

JReble
08-01-2005, 06:31 AM
Here's the issue that's probably impacting you, so before you do anything else read the following.... On DVDRAM drives, a little known fact is that you need an appropriate driver to recognize the DVDRam unit. Regular DVD drives are fine, but DVDRam requires it's own driver which is seldom/never already in the operating system. If you are using Windows 2000, this is definitely the case. I'm not sure, but I think it's also the case in most or all releases of XP as well. I've never seen a DVDRam drive get recognized properly by the os like a typical CD/DVD drive would.

In my case, I had to search on the internet for a DVDRam device driver that would work. I think I got mine from driverguide.com, but I don't remember. It was free once I found it. I had an LG drive as well and the odd thing was, the DVDRam drive did not ship with a DVDRam driver and I did in fact need one. Stupid but true. :grumpy: The other interesting thing is that few people even have a clue that a driver is required, including the manufacturer. Boneheads don't ship it with the drive, and they won't tell you it's needed if you ask. :twak: I wouldn't be surprised if this is your problem. And as a bonus, I wouldn't expect it to be a problem for you to finish your current project. If I was able to help you.......you can forward your computer technician's check to me. Thanks! :tongue:

From a quick search, it appears you can get the driver from these sites.

http://download.czechcomputer.cz/LG/ Download the first one at the top.

There's also an update, which you may not need, so if it works with the above, don't screw up a good thing.
http://www.bhacorp.com/download/utilities/dvdram.html

Plus a little background. http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=119216

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=108623

Good luck. :thumbsup:

mgrusin
08-01-2005, 10:34 AM
It is possible that you have a hardware problem; Windows can have trouble seeing such things, and I've run in circles trying to figure them out. You could have a dead or disabled (check the BIOS) IDE channel, a bad cable (IDE or power), or a bad drive. Try different combinations of these to eliminate each link as a potential problem.

If you have a second system, try installing your drive in that one. If it works, you can always network the two systems together and back up your first system from the second. Otherwise, I'd take the above advice to cut your losses and get a different drive - Windows should recognize most drives right off the bat, and what Reble's describing sounds like bad news. Don't forget what my boss once told me:

Boss: "How much money did you save us by getting that to work?"
Me: "$100" :D
"How long did it take you to get it working?"
"Ummm... about four days"
"How much do we pay you an hour?"
"OK, I get it..." :o

Good luck! -MG.

JReble
08-01-2005, 05:33 PM
I have to respectfully disagree. If I'm right, and I have experience with DVD-Ram drives, he's got no hardware problems and there's no reason to get rid of this drive. It's actually a very good multi-format drive. The problem is with the stupid M$ os which doesn't recognize the DVD-Ram hardware properly. As I said, a regular DVD-Rom or CD-Rom is seen and good to go about as soon as it's connected and boot up. DVD-Ram drives just need a proper driver and they work great. For some bizarre reason, most people have no idea the driver is required.

mgrusin
08-01-2005, 05:48 PM
And the winner is... ;)

-MG.

lesterfoster
12-26-2005, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the comments. I have tried every ones suggestions. I did have my computer connected to the internet. So sending my stuff out to the printers to get printed was not a problem. It was backing up all of the source files and the project it self that was the problem. As you all know. If you are making a final file that is like 10mb It takes hundreds of megís of disk space, and the construction of hundreds of source files to make that one final file.

As for Jrebleís advice. I donít understand why his suggestion wouldn't work. After fallowing the links that he provided, And finding the proper drivers for my DVD burner, and installing them. --< I had the device manager open at the time.>--, I watched the explanation mark over my DVD burner go away. I was excited at that point. I had thought that the new driver worked. But at the end of installing the driver, windows tolled me that I had to reboot for the changes to take effect. So I rebooted. But to my surprise and disappointment, instead of having a working DVD burner, I had no DVD burner at all.

So I tried to install the driver again. And again and again. Each time that I installed the driver. I watched my DVD burner come back, just to have it vanish again after rebooting. So I looked for and found other drivers. I tried them, but it was the same story, Now you see it, and now you donít. I put my old burner back in. But again it was the same story. Now you see it, now you don't.

Than my toaster rep came up with a possible solution. He suggested that he could set me up with a dual boot system. That way I could still use my computer with all of the software that I needed to finish the catalogue, and reboot under the new OS to use my DVD burner to back up my files. That worked. I was able to finish the catalogue, send it to the printers, backup all of the files, and spend the time setting up my new operating system the way that I wanted, while at the same time being able to continue using my old operating system to keep on working.

After getting the catalogue back from the printers, we started sending them out. At the same time, I had started updating the website. Before we knew it. The phones started ringing. People were calling us up just to compliment us on such a good looking and well put together catalogue. No sooner than I finished updating the website. We have gone from between 10 to 15 orders per week. To over 50 orders per week. We are expanding quicker than we can expand. The boss just cant find welders quick enough to handle the work load. The catalogue as become like the bible for the aircraft welding and repair industry. So he has had to pole me off of the computer and put me on the shop floor to help keep up with the orders.

Now I did this with my own computer and not the companies. My boss gave me a one thousand dollar bonus for bringing in my computer to do this. So I took this money and some that I had saved, and some that I got from the bank. And bought a brand new toaster computer from my toaster rep. He took all of my toaster hardware and disk drives out of my old computer and put it all into my new dual Xeon -<four CPUís-> computer. I was left with only one hard drive and my old DVD burner in my old computer so I just left it at work.

I had my computer at work for over a year. Was it worth it? I don't know, I haven't decided yet. It was rather difficult to do my video productions there. I spent a lot of late nights there. And it made for lots of boring evenings at home.

Getting back on topic. The problem was caused by the removal of a freeware or shareware program that was for playing DVD movies on my computer. I think that program was actually spyware, as it never did work and only slowed my system down. Never again will I install a program that I get that I am not sure about without first backing up my system. In fact, I am never going to put a program on my system again that I am not sure about.

Thanks every one for trying to help. Now I can finely take advantage of my toaster investment to its foulest capabilities. And put that terrible problem behind me.

P.S. Sorry for the late reply, I have been working incredibly hard lately. I hope you all understand. :)