PDA

View Full Version : Motion Graph From Parented Null?

nickej
07-30-2005, 12:57 PM
I'm trying to animate bug-like antennae that whip around as the character moves. The problem I'm having is that the character's motion is complex, and the motion of the piece that the antennae are attached to is driven by a chain of rotating bones (the standard "whip" creator).

I had the idea of parenting a null to that piece, and using its position (with an offset) to drive the position of the IK targets for the antennae. Unfortunately, since the null is parented, it moves around wildly while having no motion graphs I can extract.

Is there any way to derive a motion graph from a parented object?

Dodgy
07-30-2005, 05:18 PM
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=16088&page=2&highlight=source+plugins

Look down the page for MG spring.zip, with it you can parent a 'Target' null to the head object, then add another null, the Follower, and then make the follower whip behind the target and catch up with it in a wobbly way. Use the Follower null as your antennae Ik target and they'll whip around.

There's an example scene in the zip.

nickej
08-01-2005, 09:54 PM
Why, yes, that happened to be the perfect solution. 8-D
It took me a few minutes to figure out the best rig and how all the parameters worked, but it's now indispensible.
Thanks!