PDA

View Full Version : Lightmap tool for LightWave?

aso3
07-30-2005, 08:43 AM
Hi,

Does somebody know a free lightmap tool? I've created a (large) *.LWO file and now I want to generate a lightmap for it (one lightsource, the sun). The result should be a grayscaled image or something.

I'm using Lightwave 7, but I couldn't find a tool for that in the program itself.

Greetings

Integrity
07-30-2005, 06:24 PM
I believe you are looking for the job of "baking" lightmaps. That is what it is called in Lightwave. I haven't done much baking stuff, but I can lead you into reading the manual and looking for tutorials on the internet. I think one of Lightwave's own tutorials here on this website explains how to do it.

aso3
07-31-2005, 09:04 AM
Never heard of it by I started reading about them and I think you're right (thanks!), although I haven't been able to create a proper lightmap so far...

This is what I do:
1- Create a scene (I made some boxes and a flat underground for testing)
2- Make an UV map. I simple made one map but creating an top view UV map
of the entire scene.
3- Make a surface with that UV map for the objects and add a 'Surface Baker' shader.
4- In properties of that shader, I did this:
enable illumination, disable color and diffuse
attach to the UV map
enable continuous map
output as a 512*512 TGA image file
bake the entire object
5- I saved the object and opened LightWave renderer application
6- I put on raytrace shadows in the render options and choose to render only 1 frame.
7- There was 1 lightsource, I placed it somewhere above the object so that most of it was visible.
8- I rendered the scene and I got a 'lightmap' image file.

The output image file of the baker was indeed a gray-scaled value but it was if the lightposition was on a different place. Most of the object was gray/black instead of litten. I moved the camera and lightsource around but still a dark image. The lightsource was a distant light, radiosity enabled (monte carlo) and a white color. I also tried back-drop only but no result.

Does somebody know what I'm doing wrong? Or could somebody point me to a tutorial about making lightmaps. I saw the one with the 'arches' but maybe there are more?

Greetings
BTW, I'm sorry if I can't reply, my internet connection is probably down for 2 weeks soon

toby
08-01-2005, 12:17 AM
You should be using the Atlas method to make the UV map, and don't worry if it looks jumbled, you'll be using the same uv to apply the baked image.

When you bake, set the output image to a 24 bit image (no alpha), because the alpha is never more than a wireframe -

:goodluck:

aso3
08-01-2005, 05:31 AM
Atlas, Baker... although I'm using Lightwave for a while now, I still have to learn all those weird names :) I shall look into it, thanks for helping!

Greetings,
Rick

Krom
08-02-2005, 08:12 AM
I`m sorry for a lil bit off-topic, but I think my problem can be solved in this topic too.
Can somebody please advice me on how to convert object illumination (single light source - sun) into a weight map ? :help:

toby
08-02-2005, 10:21 AM
I don't know if that can be done -

Dodgy
08-02-2005, 11:18 AM
Make a UV map for your object.
Use this UV map to surface bake an image from it, with Illumination being checked in surface baker.
Go into modeler and use the Map>Color>Textured Point to apply this image using the UV map and choose Weightmap as the Vmap type for it. It'll use the brightness of the image map to determine the weight values of the object.

toby
08-02-2005, 12:30 PM
very cool :hey:

Krom
08-03-2005, 02:25 AM
Make a UV map for your object.
Use this UV map to surface bake an image from it, with Illumination being checked in surface baker.
Go into modeler and use the Map>Color>Textured Point to apply this image using the UV map and choose Weightmap as the Vmap type for it. It'll use the brightness of the image map to determine the weight values of the object.

It worked just fine ! Thank you very much :thumbsup: