PDA

View Full Version : Any insights into why I canít sell my VT4/SX84 and computer

Alamovideo
07-29-2005, 09:16 AM
Any insights into why I canít sell my VT4/SX84 and computer for the price of the VT4/SX84 alone? Tried twice on ebay.

Jim_C
07-29-2005, 09:38 AM
Hey Greg,

If I remember correctly, when I looked at the auction you had zero or very, very little feedback. (If it was another auction, sorry, stop reading now)

Having slung and grabbed quite a bit on ebay myself, most folks are VERY reluctant to but high dollar items ESPECIALLY computer equipment from someone with low feedback.

You may want to try offering a short exchange/warranty period for it. Or tell them you will do an escrow for it, which can be set up thru ebay.

Just a thought.
Good Luck with it.
Jim

(Not to mention the fact that there is no shortage of used VT3/VT4's available on ebay or thru privates)

Alamovideo
08-01-2005, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the input Jim. 2 people tried but failed to secure the funding they thought they had so a low rating doesnítí stop someone in the know.

I haven't seen any VT 4/SX84 combos for sale on Ebay, but I'm not on Ebay everyday. I've been told about the low rating, but it is 100% on a big-ticket item and I don't keep myself as an unknown. I invite folks to my website with plenty of contact info and background info.

A deal is a deal, but in my experience outside the Newtek world, VT 4 is at worst unknown, at best misunderstood. I offered the complete system for $1,000 less than the cost of VT4/SX84 alone, basically a free computer. The most I was offered was $2,800

When I was at NRB earlier this year, one common comment I heard in my booth was, "I saw what you offered, but I just said NO WAY. Now that I can see it, I believe"... he still didn't buy, but the point is, to the uninitiated, the VT4 is hard to believe.

Itís just frustrating to me to see that driving the VT4 off the lot, the resale value drops to virtual nil. But a used beta machine, can sell for $ 7,500 easy. The VT 4 can be worth 10 beta decks.

Greg

Jim_C
08-01-2005, 09:11 PM
All excellent points.

Good luck with the sale Greg.

Jim

sbrandt
08-01-2005, 11:02 PM
No High Definition.

Alamovideo
08-02-2005, 04:24 AM
Thanks Jim.

Looks to me like sbrandt found paradise on earth! As far as High Definition goes though, here's the way I see it.... content creation and delivery on the internet won't be High Def anytime soon, neither in the near or distant future or at least with any machine you can buy today. If I'm wrong in that vision, let me know y'all.

BTW the VT4/SX84 and computer are still for sale, monitors optional and financing available.

MBeck
08-02-2005, 07:35 AM
Any insights into why I canít sell my VT4/SX84 and computer for the price of the VT4/SX84 alone? Tried twice on ebay.

Keep trying! I just bought one on ebay..

Alamovideo
08-02-2005, 02:55 PM
Keep trying! I just bought one on ebay..

So what did you pay and what did you get?

bradl
08-05-2005, 12:05 AM
Guys,

I have a brand-new never installed VT4 Pro card, SX-84 and RS-8 still in bubble wrapped and in the boxes. List price on all that is $7485. I am considering selling it. How and where would you guys list it for sale and what do you think I could get for it? Thanks for you comments!

Brad

DiscreetFX
08-05-2005, 03:33 AM
Greg what are the specs for the VT[4] machine your selling?

Alamovideo
08-05-2005, 06:45 AM
Greg what are the specs for the VT[4] machine your selling?

The system is still available. I've had 4 attempts to purchase, but funding fell through. Monitors are optional. $6,000 w/o monitors - firm. I don't want to lose the data on the system or extra storage disk so I will replace with new 80 gig system drive and 250 gig (effective about 232 gig) and will purchase XP pro (it's running w2k now) at my expense. This plus shipping.

Computer System Includes:
2 Monitors - 15.5 inch Mag Technology USA - Optional
(adds $300 for monitors, $200 for shipping)
Optional
MotherBoard - SuperMicro P4DC6+
CPU - 2- 1.8 gig Xeon, Hsink & Fan
Operating SystemXP Professional
Memory - 4 - 256 ECC reg - (1 Gig)
System HardDrive80GB 7200RPM IDE
Second Storage harddrive232 GB 7200 RPM IDE

11 other fans
A DVD burner
A Plextor CD burner
2 power supplies
5 - 36 gig SCSI 160 Video Drives 10K
Wireless Keyboard and mouse
:eek: I see I forgot to list these which just might have affected the bidding!:bangwall:

4 Ė Computer Speakers with Custom Cables for monitoring Quad Audio output of SX 84
VisionTek GeForce4 MX 440 64MB nVIDIA GeForce4GeForce4GeForce4 MX 440
VT 4 Card
SX-84
Cables, Manual, CD/DVD software.

JReble
08-05-2005, 12:49 PM
I'm honestly not being critical with you here, but I have to say that the problem selling that system is most likely the price. That's not an attractive price point for the used system described. I can get a dual 3.2 GHz system and host with 280 GB SCSI raid, but without the SX-84 for just a shade more than your asking price. I expect most people looking to invest in an editor at that price point would want a system closer to spec. I know the BOB set you back a bit of dough, but I'm not sure it adds to the sales attractiveness as a secondhand unit with that speed CPUs. You might consider parting out the BOB from the Main system to get some offers on each.

Alamovideo
08-05-2005, 01:03 PM
I asked for input JReble, so Thanks. You always have great comments. By host do you mean a VT 4 card?

I'm honestly not being critical with you here, but I have to say that the problem selling that system is most likely the price. That's not an attractive price point for the used system described. I can get a dual 3.2 GHz system and host with 280 GB SCSI raid, but without the SX-84 for just a shade more than your asking price. I expect most people looking to invest in an editor at that price point would want a system closer to spec. I know the BOB set you back a bit of dough, but I'm not sure it adds to the sales attractiveness as a secondhand unit with that speed CPUs. You might consider parting out the BOB from the Main system to get some offers on each.

Alamovideo
08-08-2005, 11:28 AM
Since I've had 4 attempts at purchasing my system, I think the price point is right on especially since the monitors are optional and I'd replace 2 of the system drives and install XP. I'm not offering an editor; it's the whole package, so anyone desiring a great production and postproduction package will do well with this system.