PDA

View Full Version : Rendering in Black and White

mrnohr
07-29-2005, 07:37 AM
Is there a way to render a frame (or multiple frames) in black and white? I have a scene that I want to be black and white, but I do not want to make the objects in the scene greyscale. I know I could do it in Photoshop, but I would like to be able to do it directly during the render.

I'm pretty new to LW, so any help would be appreciated

duke
07-29-2005, 08:17 AM
If there is a way it will be via image filters (ctrl f5, processing tab). I just checked and theres a simple black&white script that you add via image filter drop down.

As a secondary note, I'd love to see someone make a simple "ColourCorrect" image filter :)

anieves
07-29-2005, 08:53 AM
Do this in post. Why? you get richer blacks and richer grays by converting a full color render.

Try this.

Render in full color as usual, open in photoshop or AFX, now this is when most artists make a mistake... DON'T CHAGE THE MODE TO GRAYSCALE!

Keep your image as RGB. Go to Image>adjustments>desaturate

Then add a tiny bit of blue either in via the channel, color balance and or hue saturation. I guarantee you will be happier with your B&W work.

I know you said you knew how to do this in PS but the truth is that you get more control in post that rendering that way. But if you really want to try virtual darkroom.

-

Limbus
07-29-2005, 08:55 AM
Keep your image as RGB. Go to Image>adjustments>desaturate

-
An even better way would be to use image -> adjustments -> channel mixer.
Tick the Grayscale box and mess with the sliders.

In LW you could use the virtual darkroom.

Florian

mattclary
07-29-2005, 09:03 AM
I like Anieves answer, but here is another:

anieves
07-29-2005, 09:05 AM
Limbus, it is a way but you still don't get the full range of color.
With channel Mixer you can not replicate the same look.

-

Mebek
07-29-2005, 09:18 AM
I would agree to do this in post, but just so you have all options, look at the top of mattclary's image, there is a color saturation slider. Put it all the way to 0% and your render will be grayscale. No need for any shaders or plugins.