PDA

View Full Version : How many industrial designers out there?

Matt
04-29-2003, 07:43 AM
Hi

I just wondered how many of you out there are product/industrial designers?

LightWave is used pretty rarely in this field, so I was wondering how many used it for visualisation?

Also what package do you use for modelling?

Any of you work for any famous groups?

Cheers
Matt
(Creactive Design, L/Spa, UK)

quatermain
04-29-2003, 09:43 PM
does doing arch viz stuff count ?
design/modeling in sketchup or formZ, CAD vectorworks, render in LW (pretty simple stuff).
trying to figure out a good real-time solution. cubicspace rtre for 3dsmax looks interesting. we might try either virtools or just use the unreal 2003 engine for an upcoming project/installation.

da_duke
04-30-2003, 01:09 AM
i've used lightwave for industrial visualization, meaning design of bodies for terminals and such things. it's 2 years ago, working in game industry now, but was nice time with lightwave. the main problems are the handling of cad data and this very weak boolean operations (was unable to regenerate contour...) otherwise, the hdri support makes it very easy to render metal and reflecting surfaces.

tapsnap
04-30-2003, 12:03 PM
Yes, I design toys. I designed my last toy completely in lightwave, converted the file to STL format and using stereolithography, had the object made in real 3D. It had 32 parts. Of course, there was some sanding and painting to do afterwards, but the factory in China took molds directly from this model and the toy is now distributed throughout the US and parts of Europe. Newtek should include an STL export format in their next upgrade because converting the files to the correct scale was the biggest hurdle in the whole process.
I used the same file to create the images for the packaging and for all the advertizing. I'm now in the process of using the same file to make an animation of the character. All in all using Lightwave as an industrial design tool was a great timesaver for me.

JohnL
05-02-2003, 04:49 PM
We are a small 2 man Danish industrial design company. With over 200 products to our credit, we've designed everything from brain-scanners to refrigerators. Our customers range from the small one-man entreprenuers to the likes of Cisco and Intel.

For modelling we use Solid Edge. We started using it at v2 and now have progressed to v14. This latest version includes some amazing new surfacing tools for product designers. Read here about the new Rapid Blue technology. (http://www.solidedge.com/components/pdfs/Rapid_Blue_Whitepaper-Final.pdf) While upstream usage to SLA, other CAD systems, CNC etc. is great, drawing creation is unsurpassed. All measured drawings are not only beautiful to look at they are easy to set up and associative. Downstream usage to other rendering packages, on the other hand is not optimal.

For quick and dirty renderings we use NuGraf from Okino. For the seldom photorealistic rendering, we use LW or Cinema 4D. Our customers are interested in buying solutions from us, not pretty pictures. Visualization in LW is still too slow to set up and because of the high poly counts, too time consuming to render for us to use on an everyday basis.

For a look at some of our work, click here. (http://www.L2design.com)

luka
05-03-2003, 12:42 AM
I love industruial design, If I knew more about the industry I would of chosen to follow that path years ago.

Tim Parsons
05-05-2003, 08:03 AM
We are using LW to design furniture. We also have an opening at the present time for a product designer. Check the info at www.sauder.com and go to career opportunities. We have been using LW for over 1 1/2 years with great success.

----Sample----

Tim Parsons
www.sauder.com

Lightwolf
05-05-2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by tapsnap
Newtek should include an stl export format in their next upgrade because converting the files to the correct scale was the biggest hurdle in the whole process.
Hah, this is something I want to hear (even thoug I think you are one of the few people that actually need the export).
I've written an importer for .stl, to be released rsn.
Cheers,
Mike

Matt
05-05-2003, 10:33 AM
Re: STL

and it works brilliantly! I know, I've been using it! :)

Turbine
05-05-2003, 04:09 PM
We've just started moving our 3d designs to real objects. We're doing resin models, all designed in Lightwave then exported as DXF and cut on a roland cnc machine.

We've been considering getting something like MasterCam. An STL exporter for Lightwave would be great :-)

Matt
05-06-2003, 01:35 AM
I bet ya the wolfman is on the case already!!! :)

Lightwolf
05-06-2003, 02:05 AM
Hi Matt,

Originally posted by Matt
I bet ya the wolfman is on the case already!!! :)
:) no he isn't, he has a couple of tight deadlines to meet (and money to earn).
Everyone interested in STL export, please shoot me a PM. I'll be able to adress that from the 17th (at the latest) onward.
Cheers,
Mike

Matt
05-06-2003, 11:24 AM
aaawwwwwww! :(

;)

Doran
05-09-2003, 10:19 AM
me. I do product vis with Lightwave too.

gustojunk
07-19-2003, 01:03 PM
Hi All,

I'm an industrial designer too. I'm now just looking into adopting Lighwave to my workflow, so i posted this topic a few days ago: http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=49503#post49503

I think an STL exporter would be great, since right now I wouldn't know how to get things out of Lightwave. My main intent is to model quick concepts in lightwave but I need to be able to go to prototyping easily. That's the reason why I mentioned in my other post that I had given a try to Maya first.

If anybody knows of a plugin or something, or some other way to create STL files could you please let me know? Also are you guys aware of any workflow to convert to nurbs like in Maya?

BTW, regarding the questions that started this thread:

Also what package do you use for modelling?
I use Rhino and Solidworks, most of the downstream parametric surfacing and engineering is done in ProE, SDRC I-deas, or Solidworks depending on who's the client (I freelance)

Any of you work for any famous groups?
I used to work for HLB and Ziba, and frelanced for a few other firms here in the US. Now I'm on my own and loving it! Mostly corporate clients but work for a few firms in Boston sometimes. I work mostly in consumer electronics, computer peripherals, small appliances and such. I'm based in Boston, USA

Hervé
07-20-2003, 02:12 AM
Hi, Gustojunk, you can model in LW, export as a "obj", then import in Image modeler from realviz, and from there output a stl file.... this is the only workaround I know...

BTW, if someone needs it, I can do the transfert from obj >>> stl... but then the file becomes large, so you'll need a large e-mail ...

Cheers, hervé

gjjackson
07-21-2003, 07:26 AM
I decided to try LW for use in the Utility business. Creating 3D images of field equipment. Later to use animations for different readings in the field. The main difficulty will be taking from LW and putting it in a DirectX format and import it in the HMI/MMI software. Of course I'll have to create some DirectX controls that the HMI can then import.

gustojunk
07-21-2003, 03:58 PM
Herve,

Thnaks for the tip. I ended up finding the STL export that Lightwolf made, he sent it to me. I'll see how that works.

Hervé
07-21-2003, 11:30 PM
You're welcome....

hey Mike, did you finally succed with the STL export.... cooool...

Hervé

Lightwolf
07-22-2003, 02:32 AM
Hi Hervé,
Well the first beta beta beta version is up and running, I'll still have to think about the ui part, wrap it up, test it and then think about how to do the registration (ouch, I was afraid of doing that bit...).
I'll keep you up to date.
Cheers,
Mike