PDA

View Full Version : Settings for 720p?

Johnny
07-28-2005, 11:30 AM
I'm doing a project in 720p, and wondered a couple of things...

first, frame rate..I'd like to use 24fps, but do I need to use 24fps or 23.98fps?
Also, which compressor is best for use in NLE—specifically FCP..Square pixels versus non-square? This project is not destined for broadcast or for crt or for interlaced monitors.

thanks for any pointers!

J

Integrity
07-29-2005, 10:42 PM
Need a little more info, basically exactly what it'll be on, but if your back asking about displaying your stuff again I'd stick with 24 fps and square pixels if your displaying on a computer.

Square pixels since all non-interlaced monitors that I know of are square (computer monitors), and 24 fps just because it's a nice whole number instead of 23.98 fps due to the signal of the TV.

Johnny
07-30-2005, 07:32 AM
yeah, that's what I'm thinking..computer monitors and LCD HD sets. I'm not concerned with broadcast or with TVs and their scanning/interlacing.

tx

j

Integrity
07-30-2005, 06:51 PM
Me neither...I hate interlaced.

I have never used Final Cut Pro, only have played with it for a few minutes at an Apple store, but if it uses the same idea as Adobe Premiere with setting up the compressor for rendering preview files, then I'd suggest getting one that renders fast, but also in small file sizes. For me, MPEG-4 has been the best, but this is for a Windows machine. I'm assuming all around your using Quicktime. I believe version 6 has an MPEG-4 codec that you can use. Also plenty of people around here say using the one I think called Motion JPEG works out well too, but I'm not sure. If anything just work with whatever compressor your original files came from, unless you want to work in uncompressed, which takes up space and if your hard drive isn't fast enough won't play pretty.

If your talking about the compressor (really codec) for your final video, that goes back to your other thread. But it depends on what you need.

Johnny
07-31-2005, 08:59 AM
OK...I guess I'm faced with getting the best comprimise between quality and what my system can actually play..uncompressed codecs are pretty painful in FCP when playing in the time line...

I have had pretty good luck with Planar RGB and with Uncompressed 8 Bit, but then there's no reason to produce a 16-bit per pixel image sequence!

Guess we're all trying to hang on to as much quality as we can right up until compressing it out to final playing form.

J