PDA

View Full Version : Realistic Fire?

grc
07-28-2005, 04:46 AM
Hi,

Anybody got any techniques for creating realistic flames.

I have been trying to make the flame cast and reflect the light onto the surface that surrounds them.
Is the only way do this with having Radiosity turned on and the Luminosity of the flames turned way up? When I do this the render is so slow, and any light cast is minimal.

Gary

Wonderpup
07-28-2005, 06:48 AM
Hi grc,

I think the best way to do this is to cheat and seperate out the flames from the light source- so create the flames so that they look good, then place a light source in the middle and envelope this to create the effect of the flickering light- add some noise to the light so that it flickers to simulate fire. This way you get more control and don't have to sacrifice the look of your flames to make them light the scene.

There's a really nice example of Hypervoxel flames over on CGTalks Lightwave forum at the moment, might be worth taking a look.

grc
07-29-2005, 09:07 AM
Thanks very much for that.

I am trying to create an still image of fire, and even with luminosity turnned way up there is not much light reflected on surrounding areas, the idea of using a seperate light would be a way round it, although if there is a way of having the actual fire throw off more light that would be great.

JulianW
07-29-2005, 09:33 AM
Hi,

I've tried creating fire recently and had some nice results with a modified version of the volumetric fire tutorial (http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/specialfx/volumetric_fire/volumetric_fire.html) rendered as an image sequence and applied as a texture, and just flickering a point light for a distant animation.

However if you want a realistic still I guess you could experiment with applying the fire still to a flat poly and then setting Unseen by rays on the fire object, then apply the fire image as a projection image to a spotlight.

hope that makes sense, good luck,

JW.

grc
08-01-2005, 02:59 AM
Hi JW,

Thanks very much for that, it looks like quite a good tutorial.

Gary