PDA

View Full Version : Update on Fprime 2

hrgiger
07-27-2005, 05:58 PM
http://www.worley.com

It's confirmed in English. Hypervoxel support but only in render mode (not in preview mode)

iaef
07-27-2005, 06:06 PM
Hope this means that HV rendering time drops down. :p

Architook
07-27-2005, 06:18 PM
G2 light groups, plus high resolution print rendering..

I'm a very happy guy!

Architook
07-27-2005, 06:20 PM
Hope this means that HV rendering time drops down. :p

I don't think it's a new Worley written HV, I think it's just FPrime support for Newtek's version. So HVs would be the same speed as before. We'll all see when we get it.

Rich
07-27-2005, 06:32 PM
Well I am glad that Hypervoxels will now render with Fprime but by it not showing up in preview mode then Viper will still be needed for realtime tweaking. :(

duke
07-27-2005, 07:05 PM
It's awesome that it's a free update, otherwise i'd be all "aww no sasquatch support".

kml12
07-27-2005, 07:55 PM
I was wondering about the speed too, but we'll have to see. Anyway, great to see more speed improvements, and HV's :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

colkai
07-28-2005, 02:27 AM
Well I am glad that Hypervoxels will now render with Fprime but by it not showing up in preview mode then Viper will still be needed for realtime tweaking. :(
Hey - at least we have that option. :) Beats the old F9 constant 140x100 renders I used to do. :p

I think HV's in preview for FPrime ain't gonna happen until the SDK is opened up more and we get proper HV / Shader integration. Of course, this isn't Steve's fault, but then, in all fairness, Newtek hae a heck of a lot on their development plate too. :D

Rich
07-28-2005, 10:39 AM
I just thought of something... I remember a plugin named FPrime Viewer created by Colin Cohen. Would this not be a good way to get realtime feedback of Hypervoxels? I went and tracked down his site but it no longer seems to available. http://cohen-plugs.tripod.com

I never tried this plugin so I don't know how well it works. Anyone who has used this plugin care to share their experience?

kml12
07-28-2005, 10:41 AM
Rich,

Good idea, that might work...

gjjackson
07-28-2005, 12:52 PM
I just thought of something... I remember a plugin named FPrime Viewer created by Colin Cohen. Would this not be a good way to get realtime feedback of Hypervoxels? I went and tracked down his site but it no longer seems to available. http://cohen-plugs.tripod.com

I never tried this plugin so I don't know how well it works. Anyone who has used this plugin care to share their experience?

Here's the link for that

http://cohen-plugs.tripod.com/outdated.htm

Meaty
07-28-2005, 01:01 PM
Gjjackson, do you get "page not found" when you click on the FPrime Viewer?

ColinCohen
07-28-2005, 01:35 PM
I was thinking the exact same thing this morning about using FPrime Viewer to interactively view HVs, but I'm not sure how you'd do it, as the FPrime render window is modal, I believe.

But if someone figure's a way, even if it requires a little programming on my part, let me know.

My site's down for the time being, but here is FPrime Viewer.

Meaty
07-28-2005, 01:48 PM
wonderful, thanks Colin!

badllarma
07-28-2005, 02:10 PM
From Worley
HyperVoxels Support.

Newtek's development team has listened to your earnest LightWave SDK requests! They've made several initial additions to the LightWave SDK in the May release of LightWave 8.3. FPrime 2 is able to use these new hooks to support HyperVoxels in FPrime Render mode (only). HyperVoxel rendering requires the latest LightWave release, version 8.3 Build 801. (Check your release version in your LightWave "About" screen, build 800 will not render HyperVoxels in FPrime.)

Check your build guys I'm on 800 and it don't look good! :thumbsdow

Meaty
07-28-2005, 02:14 PM
i'm on 801 ... I did download 8.3 later than normal (waited for a project to end) so that might have had something to do with it. I would bet that if you downloaded it again you would have the newest build.

kml12
07-28-2005, 03:14 PM
Got 801 here...

cagey5
07-28-2005, 03:40 PM
I've got build 801 too. But then we'll all be on the latest build with 8.5 before we start dabbling with Fprime 2 won't we?

Qexit
07-28-2005, 03:45 PM
Check your build guys I'm on 800 and it don't look good!You need to redownload LW8.3. The revised version with the 801 build was posted very soon after the original version. Unfortunately, you do have to download the whole thing again not just the missing/changed bits.

badllarma
07-28-2005, 03:55 PM
Thanks Kevin so that should take me to 801 :cool:

Kvaalen
07-28-2005, 06:58 PM
Mine is build 669! :eek:

In modeler. :)

Rich
07-29-2005, 12:02 AM
I was thinking the exact same thing this morning about using FPrime Viewer to interactively view HVs, but I'm not sure how you'd do it, as the FPrime render window is modal, I believe.

But if someone figure's a way, even if it requires a little programming on my part, let me know.

My site's down for the time being, but here is FPrime Viewer.

Thanks a bunch for sharing your FPrime Viewer! I can't wait to try this out. :thumbsup:

operation
07-29-2005, 11:25 AM
I have been watching the G2+Frpime quicktime demos...
humm I am not convinced to buy G2 ( I have already Fprime).

I am not sure but it seems that there is the shader support ( G2 ) but the preview render of G2 is lost .... In this preview render we can see all the channels, refine the render as we need ( less CPU process),... and mcuh more.

Could be so much better if Fprime was able to do the same as the G2 preview panel ...

My question is why to use G2 with Fprime when you can use the G2 preview panel ( of course there is radiosity support in real time now ... ) ???

I am still thinking that I didn't bought the good plugin ( G2 is better than Fprime .. )...

Cheers!

Operation
Mourad K.

JML
07-29-2005, 11:39 AM
The SSS looks good...
they should add it directly to Fprime without the need of having G2,

I would prefer that, even if I have to pay to get the update..

Qexit
07-29-2005, 11:45 AM
My question is why to use G2 with Fprime when you can use the G2 preview panel For one thing, the G2 preview panel has to be primed by running an F9 LW render. If you move the camera, you have to run a further F9 render to get the new view into G2. You can open up several G2 Preview Windows each matched to a different camera, but you still have to run F9 for each of them. Having FPrime talking to G2 removes that particular problem.

Also, using FPrime in render mode is usually faster than using F9/F10 rendering in LW, so final rendering of scenes that use G2 tweaks and tricks will now be possible through FPrime. Useful on single machine setups, still not much help for network rendering.

operation
07-29-2005, 09:37 PM
Thanks Qexit,

I understand ...
I don't have G2 ( I have only seen the quicktime demos), then ...

Why can't we make a preview with Fprime (ie: 5 steps, pause the render ), and get the G2 render preview features ...

What I don't like: is the unlimited refine mode of Fprime ( CPU killer), would be wonderfull if we had the possibility to put a value to limit the render. This way Fprime will pause and bring the G2 panel (diffuse,color,etc...)...

In a way, I prefere use low settings (no AA, small res (or limited region mode), no motion blur,etc.. ) , to setup my shader : I am sure it will be more efficient than waitong to fprime to refine every time I change a value.
If you look at the G2 quicktime demo, changing a value in G2 is faster than to change a value in Fprime:
--G2 is 2D process
--Fprime re-render the scenes

I will keep my money maybe for a major update.

Cheers !

Operation
Mourad K.

ps: as you can see on the worley website ( the quicktime demo of Fprime+G2), the only features is to have SSS(fake sss), grain filter and Radiosity in Fprime ( all other effect can be done with gradients, nulls,etc..under LW). I am the kind of person who was not satisfied with Fpime (after few days of use, I have seen the limits .. and I don't use it ofen = just for radiosity preview). It's more a marketing operation , to push people to buy Fprime or G2 (bundle), 3 days of special price....
hope to see a real update (with features for G2 and features for Fprime individualy).maybe I am expecting too much. :grumpy:

Chris S. (Fez)
07-30-2005, 12:32 AM
You are missing out IMO.

G2 is probably the best surfacing (not texturing) tool on the planet.

Isolate lights, interactively tweak and view RGB-Diffuse-GI-Specular-passes, color correct surfaces, globally change surface values for GI/diffuse etc etc etc

G2 is amazing!

You can always render a G2 pass and keep it open while you continue to tweak in Fprime. I do it all the time.

operation
07-30-2005, 10:01 AM
to Chris (FEZ):

yes I agree G2 is powerfull, I am talking about Fprime2.0+G2 ...
It's not a revolution. As Qexit said: you need to render a LW picture to be able to use the G2 preview panel features.

Then how can you tweak you render under Fprime (I am talking about 2D process= faster render than Fprime refresh process(rendering each time you moe a slider)?

no offense: read again the previous post to understand (if you use Frpime +G2 then you are loosing some adventage of the G2 preview). Maybe the SDK is not enough open and to support external shaders,etc.. is impossible for now). But I don't understand why Fprime is not able to offer hte same render panel feature as G2 render preview panel(diffuse, global radiosity, etc...= 2D process !!! ).

Cheers!

Operation
Mourad K.

ps: keep in mind that G2 is 2D process ( like using photoshop ... maybe you believe that is 3D render then it's why you didn't understand my critics.)

munky
07-30-2005, 10:45 AM
Hi there,

er Badlarma

I would think that if you want the latest build of LW 8.3 the just go and download it again from newtek.

regards

paul

apologies as this has already been answered, my browser didn't show me the page two button for some reason (well that's my excuse anyway)

Chris S. (Fez)
07-30-2005, 03:47 PM
to Chris (FEZ):

yes I agree G2 is powerfull, I am talking about Fprime2.0+G2 ...
It's not a revolution. As Qexit said: you need to render a LW picture to be able to use the G2 preview panel features.

Then how can you tweak you render under Fprime (I am talking about 2D process= faster render than Fprime refresh process(rendering each time you moe a slider)?

no offense: read again the previous post to understand (if you use Frpime +G2 then you are loosing some adventage of the G2 preview). Maybe the SDK is not enough open and to support external shaders,etc.. is impossible for now). But I don't understand why Fprime is not able to offer hte same render panel feature as G2 render preview panel(diffuse, global radiosity, etc...= 2D process !!! ).

Cheers!

Operation
Mourad K.

ps: keep in mind that G2 is 2D process ( like using photoshop ... maybe you believe that is 3D render then it's why you didn't understand my critics.)

Not offended at all! :) Let me explain a little more where I was coming from.

I use G2 along with Fprime. Presently I do a first pass of surfaces in Fprime. Then I render in Lightwave with test-render settings (without antialiasing, 2 bounce raytracing etc.) to load the G2 buffer and tweak the surfaces out for final renders.

Once I tweak out surfaces in G2 I cannot return to Fprime to accurately see final renders! Thankfully, this will no longer be the case after the latest Fprime/G2 releases. Any changes we make in G2 will instantly be visible in both the Fprime viewer and the G2 viewer. Though changes to Lightwave surfaces will not instantly be visible in G2, that is because G2 is largely 2D (as you mentioned).

At some point in the future, G2 will probably get its specular/GI/diffuse passes directly from Fprime (G2 buffers could be loaded after Fprime reaches a customizeable antialiasing level), which is probably what you are waiting for (?)...I would like that too.

Because G2 and Fprime are now compatible we can move back and forth freely from G2 to Fprime. As far as I am concerned Fprime 2.0 and G2 1.7 will give us the best of both worlds.

Just because we can see the affects of G2 shaders in Fprime does not suddenly make the G2 buffer viewer obsolete. Fprime has advantages because you can raytrace, deform geometry and move cameras in real time. G2 has some advantages over Fprime because it is basically a 2.5D buffer with the ability to isolate lights, surfaces and passes and tweak them out with a set of awesome floating-point image editing tools (plus, like you said, not having to wait for the render to "sharpen" gives us a nice visual advantage over Fprime).

Fprime is not a replacement for the G2 buffer. The power IMO comes from using the two side by side.

badllarma
07-31-2005, 09:38 AM
Hi there,

er Badlarma

I would think that if you want the latest build of LW 8.3 the just go and download it again from newtek.

regards

paul

apologies as this has already been answered, my browser didn't show me the page two button for some reason (well that's my excuse anyway)

Yup no worries downloaded it and now running at 801 one thing though guys there is a new viewer on it's way and it's nothing to do with Worley curently at alpha stage of production

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=248382&page=1&pp=15

:thumbsup: