PDA

View Full Version : Steamboy

Meaty
07-27-2005, 08:43 AM
Steamboy came out on DVD yesterday. It was something like 10 years in the making from the creator of Akira. The story is pretty good, but the visuals are just amazing.

Newtek and Side Effects are both mentioned in the credits, and I spotted lightwave running on a desktop in the behind-the-scenes mini-feature :lwicon:

http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/steamboy/

Cheers

BeeVee
07-27-2005, 08:55 AM
Yeah, and General Grievous' bike seems completely ripped off from this film...

B

WilliamVaughan
07-27-2005, 11:48 AM
Lotsa cool LW in that movie....glad I got to see it on the big screen.

Emmanuel
07-27-2005, 12:42 PM
Any chance for an interview with the artist(s) ?
All I saw in the making of was 3DSMax.

NanoGator
07-28-2005, 11:29 AM
Yeah, and General Grievous' bike seems completely ripped off from this film...

Set your faces to stun.

zed1000
07-28-2005, 03:27 PM
It's a great DVD ! But I don't remember seeing any LW.It looked like max character studio in the making of shot.I will have to dig it out and have another look ;)

riki
07-28-2005, 09:01 PM
It's was released here awhile back, but I haven't been to see it yet after hearing a few bad reviews. I guesss I'll have to check it out myself.

Nemoid
07-29-2005, 03:31 AM
****. it passe in italy too, but not in my city, and friends didn't wanted to see it, so i missed it. :thumbsdow

however, i will buy the dvd indeed. :lwicon:

as for lw : i know for sure Lw has been used in Metropolis animated movie, do someone have some specific news about Steamboy and Lw ?

Karmacop
07-29-2005, 09:43 AM
I saw steam boy at my local video rental shop the other week (along with Porko Rosso!) so I decided to have a look. It's an alright movie but nothing great. The visuals and ideas are good though :D

Tima
07-29-2005, 02:21 PM
i've read katsuhiro otomo use the same pipeline for Metropolis, and all 3d stuff is make with lightwave (animation render....)

steamboy is my favorite movie i have seen the last year.
Otomo love destruction mike Akira, there are really impressive FX stuff in this movie.

Cobalt
08-09-2005, 10:27 AM
Loved the look of Steamboy ... but the story did not keep me or my boys engaged.

We much preferred Howl's Moving Castle by Hayao Miyazaki over Steamboy for our favorite anime movie of the summer.

I haven't had the chance to check out the other features on the Steamboy DVD, but hope to find some references to Lightwave in the "making of Steamboy" section ... if there is one.