PDA

View Full Version : refraction bug?

luka
04-29-2003, 02:36 AM
HI all
I wa sin the middle of doing some visuals stuff for a client when I noticed that my cola liquid wasn't quite right. The top of the cola where it meets the bottle isn't rendered properly. I have tried increasing ray recurse but no luck. Has anyone had similar experiences?

mattclary
04-29-2003, 06:16 AM
Have you given the glass and the cola different refraction indexes? If not, you should. Also, did you create air polys for the outside of the bottle? You probably know this, but, copy your glass surface to a new layer and flip it. Make it 100% transparent, no diffuse, etc.. (you want it invisible) and set the refraction to 1.0. The glass will have an index of a value I can't remember, but in the neigborhood of 1.2 or 1.5 I think... It's at the back of the manual.

Forgive me if you know all this, it could just be a bug. :)

JulianW
04-29-2003, 06:37 AM
Perhaps it's just me, but I can't actually see a problem with it.

I've taken a look at a real bottle and the only thing that looks wrong is the lack of a miniscus, ie the top of the cola is as flat as a very flat thing, it should curve up slightly at the edges where it meets the bottle.

did I miss something?

JW.

luka
04-29-2003, 09:20 AM
hi again
I have checked the file and to my knowledge everything seems o.k.
I have posted a wireframe of the cola and bottle, you can see there is a good deal of geometry that makes up the meniscus. Tried different refraction value that didn't seem to differ much.