PDA

View Full Version : Weight maps not working

MrChristopherSL
07-25-2005, 06:59 PM
For some reason, I can't get weight maps to work according to how the manual says they should. If I create a cube, select a series of points, and create a weight map for those points, nothing happens. I SEE the color shift in weight shade mode, but the actual geometry doesn't change.

When I have the weight map active and have several points with this map applied, and use the Weight tool, draggin the mouse left and right doesn't do anything either. The online documentation show the geometry going to a point at the selected point.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Chris

SplineGod
07-25-2005, 07:08 PM
Are you trying to create a weight map or change the Subpatch weighting?
One will just change the color in weight shade mode and the other will change the shape of a Subpatch object. :)

MrChristopherSL
07-25-2005, 07:39 PM
I'm trying to change the shape of the object. So far nothing I've done has altered the shape of the object, although I can get the vertex colors to change.

I must be doing something wrong even though I think I'm following along the online help exactly.

I'm trying to take a cube, convert it to subD (tab), select a point, and apply a subpatch weight such that that corner is weighted to a point.

I've tried using the Weights command in the Map -> Weight area, then draggin the mouse left/right as the docs say to change the shape of the selected vertex. I have 'Subpatch Weight' selected in the lower righthand corner. But nothing happens. I have the Numerics dialog open and can see the percentage changing rapidly, but no shape change.

What am I doing wrong? It can't be this difficult.

Thanks,

Chris

SplineGod
07-25-2005, 08:03 PM
Try using the airbrush tool

UnCommonGrafx
07-25-2005, 08:23 PM
Hey Larry,
You gonna have fun at SIGGRAPH? Heck, I'm sure you already have. :D

MrChristopherSL, you need to select the weightmap choice of "SubPatch Weight" and alter that one. Had the hardest time finding this that I'm sure it's what's happening to you.

With the "W" selected, click on the dropdown list and you will see what you need. Hope that helps.

MrChristopherSL
07-25-2005, 08:27 PM
Hmm. That worked. Why doesn't the documentation say that you should use the brush tool to adjust point tension with subpatch weights? I'm looking at the online docs and it's confusing because they don't mention that. They show the Weights button highlighted and show an illustration of a cube with a point tension adjusted.

Thanks,

Chris

UnCommonGrafx
07-25-2005, 08:32 PM
Cool.

Good to see you've found it.

SplineGod
07-25-2005, 08:42 PM
Hi Rob, you planning on going? Im definately going to be there. Would be nice to meet up. :)

UnCommonGrafx
07-25-2005, 09:02 PM
Gosh, I wish! But alas, not this year.

Yeah, I missed out on hanging with you last year; as well, I'm told :mad: I missed out on some studio tours. But, I wouldn't give up the GREAT time and experiences given me by Stan and Harlan!!!

I am looking toward next year, though, and hope you save a spot on the tour bus for me. ; )

I sure hope it's [LW update] as good as I hope. chuckle

Surrealist.
07-25-2005, 10:50 PM
Hmm. That worked. Why doesn't the documentation say that you should use the brush tool to adjust point tension with subpatch weights? I'm looking at the online docs and it's confusing because they don't mention that. They show the Weights button highlighted and show an illustration of a cube with a point tension adjusted.

Thanks,

Chris

You don't have to use the air brush tool. That's why it does not say so in the manual. You can use any of the tools you would normally use to adjust map values. I think you may have changed something else you were doing.

For the bellow picture all I did was select the points and with the W selected and Subpatch Weight in the dropdown, hit Set Map Value in the Map tab and entered 100%. I know You got it solved for now but in the future keep this in mind. :)

Dodgy
07-26-2005, 03:07 AM
The weight tool button is set to point fall off by default (which means it only affects the point you click and drag on), so if you're trying to multiple points at the same time you'll need to bring up the numeric panel (press 'n') and change it to 'none' in the falloff box.