PDA

View Full Version : Bridge

otacon
07-25-2005, 06:36 PM
A scene inspired from a photo i saw online. Modeling was pretty basic, it was rendered with maxwell. c&c welcome.

adrian
07-26-2005, 12:33 AM
I LOVE the concrete texture. Maybe just make the sky a little more interesting by adding some golden clouds to make it a really nice sunset scene....

Also, are the waves a little too small? Bearing in mind the camera angle is quite near to the sea (or so it looks), maybe the waves should be a little bigger.

Overall very nice picture.

Adrian.

starbase1
07-26-2005, 04:33 AM
Yes, very nice concrete. The suspension pylons look a bit small compared with the road to my eyes, but maybe that's just me...

Nick

guardonduty
07-26-2005, 05:52 AM
Excellent look. You should draw the "cooper river bridge" in South Carolina and make money selling it to the SCDOT or visitors.

nthused
07-26-2005, 07:01 AM
Wow you do nice work, Jason.

I'd probably reduce the texturing on the bridge all around - it looks really good - but it's likely that the concrete would be required to be smoother by the engineer/contractor...but then again, I'm wrong a lot :-)

Again - it's awfully purdy.

Mr.Kester
07-26-2005, 10:58 AM
I think that looks fantastic! My only comments are 1) at the water line there could be more muck build up - although it does look like a very new bridge. 2) This was just something I thought a bit odd. There is a beautiful chrome hand rail... with no access. Why would it be there if there without access? Maybe you could make a tunnel.
I think it is a wonderful picture. It is inspiring!

gaushell
07-26-2005, 05:35 PM
Jason,

Very nice. My first reaction is the concrete texture is way too much. It wouldn't necessarily be "smooth" but you don't get pits that large in formed concrete without a lot of weathering and spalling.

Water texture is very nice as is the lighting.

Allen - glad to see you picked up on concrete too.

otacon
07-26-2005, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the replies. Ive gotten a lot of comments about the concrete, i guess i made it too big. I had this nice concrete image map i wanted to try out. :D And i know the railing has no access, i just threw it in there for scale.

neversummer
07-27-2005, 07:28 AM
That looks like the Confederation Bridge which connects Prince Edward Island to New Brunswick up here in Canada... she's 'The longest bridge over ice covered waters in the world' good stuff !

otacon
07-27-2005, 07:44 AM
The name of the bridge is Ponte Vasco da Gama.

monovich
07-27-2005, 12:22 PM
very very nice bridge otacon. how are you liking Maxwell?

Thomas M.
07-27-2005, 02:40 PM
In my opinion the concrete texture's scale doesn't match the size of the bridge. The bridge looks somehow like a miniature model. But I'd also like to know whether you tried to render it in fprime, too, and where the big difference between fprime and maxwell is on a visual level. Never mind the difference in how they work.

Cheers
Thomas

monovich
07-27-2005, 03:33 PM
looking at this some more ('cause it's pretty). The water is definitely too uniform. You can see lines in the texture repeating towards infinity. If you broke up the waves more and tweaked the concrete like other people said, it could be a photo.

otacon
07-27-2005, 05:15 PM
Thanks guys. I think i will have to try a render with fprime and see how it compares. The reason i went straight to maxwell for this is because of the minimal amount of setup. No setting up lights, or backgrounds, just use physical sky and render. Of course it did take a few test renders to get the most interesting time of day.

Captain Obvious
07-28-2005, 08:42 AM
Very nice, as always. ;) But there seems to be a repeating pattern in the water. I see parallel lines going off into the distance.

starbase1
07-28-2005, 09:52 AM
I've had similar problems with apparent lines using procedural ripples. Sometimes it feels like a bug - its a lot more obvious where there are things to reflect. Just too regular compared to nature I guess.

I have found it helps to increase the number of sources, and have 2 layers, one of which has a much bigger scale for the wave sources.

Nick

mattclary
07-28-2005, 01:20 PM
Very nice! Looks like the Sunshine Skyway Bridge in Tampa.

rafalkurc
08-11-2005, 02:44 AM
it is very pretty.
in my opinion you should apply a little more shadow-dark water on the bottom of the columns. water always splash columns and there is always water on it.